[SOLO]"Charles Dickens and Music" by James T. Lightwood - brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Charles Dickens and Music, by James T. Lightwood (1856 - 1944)
This is a detailed exploration of the references to music in the novels of Dickens: songs, instrumental pieces, performers, composers, and musical instruments. It also includes Dickens' interactions with musicians. (Summary by Warren Bergmann)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16595

Target completion date: 2024-11-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Music; *Non-fiction/Performing Arts; *Non-fiction/Literary Criticism

Keywords that describe the book: dickens, music, novels, classical

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Charles Dickens and Music. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Charles Dickens and Music, by James T. Lightwood. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Charles Dickens and Music, by James T. Lightwood. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Charles Dickens and Music, by James T. Lightwood."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: charlesdickensandmusic_##_lightwood_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. charlesdickensandmusic_01_lightwood_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by bergmannw on April 3rd, 2024, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Sorry -- I forgot to begin the subject line with [SOLO]
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

As the OP you can edit it. Tap the pencil icon at the top right of the post.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi there! I will MC this for you.
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Here are your answers re: music
You need to "present the tunes he chooses to use (if they're not improvised) to be sure they're PD. Like texts, they'd need to be published in 1928 or earlier."
Also
"For those with musical notation in the text, it's fine. For those without, he would need to find and document the source of the melody as PD. If he makes up a melody, that should be OK, but he needs to be careful that it is clearly original and not too close to something that isn't PD. I think reading the lyrics as a poem would probably be the simplest."

Finally, it is my understanding that there are midi files linked to the parts with musical notation in the Gutenberg files.
Best,
Christine
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Thank you for the explanation. I'm not having any luck finding the copyright dates on melodies. Many of these seem to be folk tunes, which means nobody is really sure when they originated, or who composed them. (The only thing I know about copyright law as it applies to music is that it's tricky.) Having said all that, it stands to reason that any song appearing in a book c. 1912 would be in the public domain, yes?
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

When I need to present a melody to be sure it is PD, would I attach it to a forum post, or is there another way to present it? I do not see an "attach" option here in the forum.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

bergmannw wrote: April 9th, 2024, 9:14 am When I need to present a melody to be sure it is PD, would I attach it to a forum post, or is there another way to present it? I do not see an "attach" option here in the forum.
I think you can paste a link here. Try that.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

bergmannw wrote: April 9th, 2024, 8:40 am Thank you for the explanation. I'm not having any luck finding the copyright dates on melodies. Many of these seem to be folk tunes, which means nobody is really sure when they originated, or who composed them. (The only thing I know about copyright law as it applies to music is that it's tricky.) Having said all that, it stands to reason that any song appearing in a book c. 1912 would be in the public domain, yes?
The tune, that you find, could still be in copyright because it was applied to the words later. Like a translation can be in copyright if done after 1928. Not trying to be difficult, just need this to be safe from our litigious world.
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

I am getting the picture that this process can get more complicated than we want. It is now looking to me that it would be best for me to sing only the songs that include musical notation (I think we are guaranteed these melodies are PD), and read all the others like they are poems. What do you think? By the way, I am not able to open the MIDI files, but I don't think that matters. I can read music, and that's all I need to sing the songs accurately.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

bergmannw wrote: April 9th, 2024, 1:39 pm I am getting the picture that this process can get more complicated than we want. It is now looking to me that it would be best for me to sing only the songs that include musical notation (I think we are guaranteed these melodies are PD), and read all the others like they are poems. What do you think? By the way, I am not able to open the MIDI files, but I don't think that matters. I can read music, and that's all I need to sing the songs accurately.
That sounds like the best solution!BTW, I will DPL for you.
Best,
Christine
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Hi Christine --

I've posted the Preface, and I am eager to hear your feedback.

Warren
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

bergmannw wrote: April 17th, 2024, 11:13 am Hi Christine --

I've posted the Preface, and I am eager to hear your feedback.

Warren
Excellent! Section 0 is PL ok. A perfect recording! Thanks! I am really looking forward to listening to the rest. :D
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

That's Great!

As I begin work on Chapter 1, I need some guidance. Footnotes. Some of the footnotes are pretty long, and many interrupt in the middle of a sentence of the main text. In some cases, it will be very difficult for a listener to "keep track" of what is happening in the beginning of the sentence, while a multi-sentence footnote is running its course. Is there a Librivox policy on reading footnotes? Do you have any suggestions?
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

bergmannw wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:32 am That's Great!

As I begin work on Chapter 1, I need some guidance. Footnotes. Some of the footnotes are pretty long, and many interrupt in the middle of a sentence of the main text. In some cases, it will be very difficult for a listener to "keep track" of what is happening in the beginning of the sentence, while a multi-sentence footnote is running its course. Is there a Librivox policy on reading footnotes? Do you have any suggestions?
You can include any footnotes and exclude any footnotes as you see fit! Great news, right?! :D