[SOLO]"Charles Dickens and Music" by James T. Lightwood - brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

That's a relief.
Chapter 1 includes a quote of the song "Buffalo Gals." Even though the musical notation is not included, I'm planning to sing this one, because it's a song I know. I did some research and found a citation from an 1890 newspaper article (via Wikipedia). I will sing the melody indicated by the notation printed there, but the lyrics in the Gutenberg text. Let me know if that plan is LV-OK. Here is the link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Buffalo_Gals.jpg
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

bergmannw wrote: April 20th, 2024, 9:32 am That's a relief.
Chapter 1 includes a quote of the song "Buffalo Gals." Even though the musical notation is not included, I'm planning to sing this one, because it's a song I know. I did some research and found a citation from an 1890 newspaper article (via Wikipedia). I will sing the melody indicated by the notation printed there, but the lyrics in the Gutenberg text. Let me know if that plan is LV-OK. Here is the link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Buffalo_Gals.jpg
Good research. You can follow thru as planned above on this one!
Thanks for your efforts!
Christine
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Chapter I is ready for PL.

I corrected some errors in the Gutenberg version:

P. 10 (approx) 12:56
Regarding the indented passage: “One night a gentleman visitor . . . they always take a turn.”
The only way to make sense of this passage is to realize that the sentence “Dickens found the whole ordeal . . . neighbor said to him” is not part of the quote. So I read it that way.

p. 11 (approx) 16:16
The first verse of the song should have “down de street” three times, not just twice. Otherwise, it is not parallel with the second verse, nor can it scan with the melody. So I sing “down de street, down de street, down de street.”

p. 20 (approx) 29:05
“. . . we find Signer Lobskini introduced . . . “ The character’s name in “Sketches by Boz” is Signor Lobskini (not Signer), so I read it that way.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Chapter 1 is PL ok. Very enlightening. Highly enjoyable listening!
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Chapter II is ready for PL.
Note: In the section labeled "Piano," the Prince Blucher referred to spelled his name with an umlaut on the "u," so I pronounced it that way.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

bergmannw wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 8:50 am Chapter II is ready for PL.
Note: In the section labeled "Piano," the Prince Blucher referred to spelled his name with an umlaut on the "u," so I pronounced it that way.
Excellent! :D
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Chapter 2 is PL ok. Very interesting! And very enjoyable listening!