Hello from the Netherlands

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
HeinterStond

Post by HeinterStond »

Hi! I've known about LibriVox for years but only recently started thinking about contributing. Honestly, I'm in need of a hobby and reading books while possibly benefiting others seems like a good one. Also, the community seems very friendly. You remind me of what the internet was supposed to be!

I'm a Dutch native (dad of 2) but I'm happy to read English texts, though there's obviously limits to me being able to hide my accent.

I've submitted the 1-minute test, now I'm waiting for feedback!
vviera

Post by vviera »

HeinterStond wrote: March 31st, 2024, 10:58 am Hi! I've known about LibriVox for years but only recently started thinking about contributing. Honestly, I'm in need of a hobby and reading books while possibly benefiting others seems like a good one. Also, the community seems very friendly. You remind me of what the internet was supposed to be!

I'm a Dutch native (dad of 2) but I'm happy to read English texts, though there's obviously limits to me being able to hide my accent.

I've submitted the 1-minute test, now I'm waiting for feedback!
Welcome, Heinter!!

It's always exciting to see people from around the world volunteer for Librivox. We have had so many new international friends join recently. Just in the last few weeks we've had people from the Dominican Republic, Portugal, England, Belgium, Australia, Trinidad & Tobago, Switzerland, India, and the Philipines! We are truly an international project!

For English, a lot of people start with something out of the Short Works (Poetry & Prose) forum, or read a chapter from a book. The collaborative book projects are in this forum.

Any cooperative project that's not in English is listed in the aptly named "Readers Wanted: Languages Other than English" forum. However, there are none running in Dutch right now.

As to your accent, since we have readers from around the world, our listeners get to enjoy many different accents. We consider this a bonus!

But first things first, you need to do your 1-minute test, which isn’t an audition or anything. It’s just a test to ensure that your technical settings match Librivox’s recording standards. This is a link with information about that.

If you haven't already seen it, a helpful place to start is the Newbie Guide to Recording.

That’s a lot of links, but it will get you started looking around the forum.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions in the forum as you get oriented. Everyone is really friendly and someone will always jump in with an answer.

Have fun!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Hello Heinter,

welcome to LibriVox. If you are interested in dramas, there is one in Dutch with one role left. viewtopic.php?t=56088.
Maybe a good place to familiarize yourself with the system.

Greetings from Germany. :)
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 6 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
HeinterStond

Post by HeinterStond »

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll have a look at your suggestions.