HELP ME TO SET UP MY LAPTOP PLEASE

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BarryRathbone

Post by BarryRathbone »

Hi there

I really am not in the least bit tech savvy. I have tried downloading the audcity app but the laptop says no and to go to settings to change permissions.

So I go to settings but cannot find how to do it.

Can anybody please help a sad old queen with no tech skills please?

Regards Barry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Unrelated to LibriVox, I encountered a computer once where only apps from the Microsoft Store were permitted to be installed. There was some sort of setting in Windows about this.

If that's the issue you're running into, then try this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-an-app-on-windows-11-due-to-microsoft/2c844116-7528-4ece-873a-7222e2c8fee0
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

Does the warning mention that you need to be an administrator, or enter an administrator password to install Audacity?
If yes, it could mean that your user profile on Windows is set up in such a way that you don't have the permission to install software. That can be useful as a security measure to keep unwanted software from being installed without you noticing, but obviously, you want to install this specific software.
These are ways to give yourself administrator permissions:
https://thetechhacker.com/2021/10/13/methods-to-give-someone-administrator-permissions-on-windows-10/
But should you also need to know the administrator password, then I don't know. If the computer was sold like that, maybe it's in the documentation?
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

BarryRathbone wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:24 pm Hi there

I really am not in the least bit tech savvy. I have tried downloading the audcity app but the laptop says no and to go to settings to change permissions.

So I go to settings but cannot find how to do it.

Can anybody please help a sad old queen with no tech skills please?

Regards Barry
What kind of laptop is it? What OS?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page