Albuquerque says hi!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
ktoman

Post by ktoman »

Hello beautiful souls!

I love audio recordings and have done some book recordings for personal use and fun. How neat that now I can do some to share with others around the world?! I have used Audacity to edit before, but just ordered a Samsung microphone since I previously used a hand-held recorder. It worked just fine, but I assume the Samsung will be better, not to mention easier with a tripod. What else do you all do in the world? I brew kombucha for work. I do a lot of yoga and travel. Maybe obviously, I love reading. I also love astronomy and have been learning just recently all about the Chaco people and the clues that have been found of their knowledge of astronomy. They are famous for the sun dagger, which is unique in the world and is an incredible feat one can only see looking much closer at the matter. Happy recording and listening.

Karen
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

ktoman wrote: March 26th, 2024, 6:25 pm Hello beautiful souls!

I love audio recordings and have done some book recordings for personal use and fun. How neat that now I can do some to share with others around the world?! I have used Audacity to edit before, but just ordered a Samsung microphone since I previously used a hand-held recorder. It worked just fine, but I assume the Samsung will be better, not to mention easier with a tripod. What else do you all do in the world? I brew kombucha for work. I do a lot of yoga and travel. Maybe obviously, I love reading. I also love astronomy and have been learning just recently all about the Chaco people and the clues that have been found of their knowledge of astronomy. They are famous for the sun dagger, which is unique in the world and is an incredible feat one can only see looking much closer at the matter. Happy recording and listening.

Karen
Hi there!

In addition to all the links within each forum that provide tips and tricks, below you'll find a few that will help you get up and going as you are starting out.

For Proof Listening (PL) - Check out the Proof Listeners or Editors Wanted forum for links to more information about PL. The most common method is Standard, but some projects do have stricter guidelines.

Then check out the New Projects Launch Pad. This is where any readers post ideas for books they'd like to start as projects, either as a solo or group project. Any projects that have a tilde ~ in front of it means the project is in need of some one to PL. Being brand new, you may want to consider asking if you can start with a chapter or two, just to make sure you understand the process and that it's something you like. It may also be easier to start with PL for a solo project since it'll just be one reader you'll be listening to.

For recording

If not already submitted, be sure to complete your one minute recording test so we can make sure your audio specs are good to go. Once you get that approved, check out the Readers Wanted forums, There's one for readers of other languages, and the rest for mostly English.

There is one forum for poems and shorter works, as well as a forum for longer books. If plays and dramatic readings are more your speed, check out the dramatic works forum too! Click into a post to see a summary of the book/poem/play. If it's something that sounds interesting, scroll down a bit more and look at the Magic Window (MW). You'll see a list with chapters or characters broken down into sections. If there is no name by a chapter, that means it's open and you can put a post in the thread to request that chapter. Once you've gotten the OK from the Book Coordinator (BC), you can then record the chapter.

A best practice that is recommended is to just sign up for a chapter or two to begin with so you can get a feel of the whole process and not be overwhelmed. Be sure to also read the information near the MW about how to access the text, the format the file needs to be saved as, and how to upload once it's ready for review.

When in doubt, don't hesitate to ask any questions. Someone will chime in and provide some assistance :)

Hope this helps, have fun, and welcome!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer