SOLO - The Outermost House, by Henry Beston (1888 - 1968)-ag

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

The Outermost House, by Henry Beston (1888 - 1968)

Volunteers outside the USA: Henry Beston died in 1968. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
A Year of Life on the Great Beach of Cape Cod (Summary by subtitle)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/bestonoutermost2/page/n7/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2024-07-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: nature, animals, memoir, beach, cape cod, outermost house

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Outermost House. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Outermost House, by Henry Beston. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Outermost House, by Henry Beston. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Outermost House, by Henry Beston."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: outermosthouse_##_beston_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. outermosthouse_01_beston_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by ShellyW on March 23rd, 2024, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Shelly,
I'll MC this for you.
Kind regards,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

alg1001 wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 6:06 pm Hi Shelly,
I'll MC this for you.
Kind regards,
-Amy
Wow, thank you so much Amy :mrgreen:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Having lived and worked on the Cape for several years, I would love to join you as DPL.
Sounds like a very interesting narrative.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

silverquill wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 11:08 pm Having lived and worked on the Cape for several years, I would love to join you as DPL.
I was wondering if you would jump in Larry :D Thank you! I just have one more section in Beautiful Thoughts, then I will start this one.

BTW I am currently listening to Thomas Wingfold and hearing voices of people I'm actually getting to know a little bit, including you :mrgreen:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Larry is in as DPL. I'll move you to Going Solo.
Have a great weekend, you two!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

alg1001 wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 7:15 am Larry is in as DPL. I'll move you to Going Solo.
-Amy
:thumbs:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ShellyW wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 6:09 am
silverquill wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 11:08 pm Having lived and worked on the Cape for several years, I would love to join you as DPL.
I was wondering if you would jump in Larry :D Thank you! I just have one more section in Beautiful Thoughts, then I will start this one.

BTW I am currently listening to Thomas Wingfold and hearing voices of people I'm actually getting to know a little bit, including you :mrgreen:
Wow, that goes back a ways!

You know, I always wonder if anybody actually listens to what we do even though I know they do. A couple of books I've BC'd have been on the top YouTube list consistently. We can look at "views," but that doesn't mean someone listened. Oh, I did get an inquiry from a teacher who wanted to use one of the short stories I recorded in a special course she had. And, there are a few others. But, I get so caught up in group projects that I haven't done many solos. But, I'm trying to make a serious attempt to cut down on recording so I can do more solo work. I have a long list. :roll:
~ Larry
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Ha! It's good to have a long list, you always have something to look fwd. To :D

When was Thomas wingfold done, do you know?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

I am now learning how to do covers, so spent the afternoon making one for the Lost Princess. Next I need to make one for Beautiful Thoughts, THEN I can start working on this project :mrgreen:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

alg1001 wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 7:15 am Larry is in as DPL. I'll move you to Going Solo.
-Amy
Hi Amy,

I noticed you made a section 00. So when I read the intro for the foreword do I call it section zero and not section 1?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Off to a good start!

Only thing to change is the intro and outro.

In regard to your question about "Section Zero" -- This is usually used for forewords, introductions, dedications, prefaces, etc., any front matter that isn't part of the actual text. One reason to do this is to keep the section numbers and chapter numbers in sync.

I do PL for one soloist who likes to read it as "Section Zero" which i thing just sounds odd. I always just substitute the title in place of section number. In this case it would be just, "Foreword of The Outermost House . . . " and then, "End of Foreword."

Totally up to you, though, as soloist. :)
But, I don't think you want two Section ones.
~ Larry
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

silverquill wrote: March 26th, 2024, 1:14 pm Off to a good start!

Only thing to change is the intro and outro.

In regard to your question about "Section Zero" -- This is usually used for forewords, introductions, dedications, prefaces, etc., any front matter that isn't part of the actual text. One reason to do this is to keep the section numbers and chapter numbers in sync.

I do PL for one soloist who likes to read it as "Section Zero" which i thing just sounds odd. I always just substitute the title in place of section number. In this case it would be just, "Foreword of The Outermost House . . . " and then, "End of Foreword."

Totally up to you, though, as soloist. :)
But, I don't think you want two Section ones.
Perfect, thank you so much Larry. I will finish up section 1 now then fix section zero.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Whew! Busy few days. chapter is 1 is ready. I think it sounds heavily edited.... cause it is... hope it sounds ok.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

-Amy
Hi Amy, I seem to be having trouble claiming the cover for this. Can you help?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com