[COMPLETE]Song of Myself by Walt Whitman -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Cantos 9 and 11-14 are PL OK. For 8 and 10 I'm not sure how precise you want it to be. I've made two small notes as it's poetry:

Canto 8
1.16-1.18, bottom half p 9, extra word
The meeting of enemies, the sudden oath, the blows and [the] fall...
It’s a lot less noticeable in this as it’s not adhering to a really strict metre or rhyme scheme. Depends if you want to go for word perfect!

Canto 10
2.18-2.22, antepenultimate line of canto, p 11
And remember putting plasters on the galls [heard gall] of his neck and ankles;
As above – the meaning isn’t drastically affected but I don’t know if you’re really trying to make this ultra-ultra-accurate.

You're right, it's overall impressions as well as lines. And some of the vignettes are extraordinary, especially in cantos 10 and 13 out of what I've just listened to. I'll try to listen to more, I've just been trying to address some teething problems on my new setup, and some other PLing came in. But I do want this to be catalogued so others can enjoy it!

A note partly for me and partly for you: as of Sunday I've not been able to download canto 52. I will come back for it in a day or two, but I might ask you to reupload if it's still telling me it's not an mp3 file.
Newgatenovelist

Cantos 16, 17, 19, 20 are PL OK.

Canto 15
6.17, omission, p 18 mid-page
Coon-seekers go through the regions of the Red river [or through those drain'd by the Tennessee,] or through those of the Arkansas,

Canto 18 – 0.11, p 20, your note
'With music strong I come...' is missing right at the beginning

Canto 21
2.11, p 24, your note
'Smile for your lover comes' is missing before 'still nodding night'

Canto 22
0.27-0.30, top p 25, extra word
We must have a turn together, I undress, hurry me out of [the] sight of the land.

1.07, note to self left in?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Aha! We are working on this at the same time! I have just uploaded the corrections to 18 and 21 - and as my notes are the only corrections you've marked, I can go ahead and mark them as Ready for spot PL!

I have also uploaded 52 again - in fact, I think the problem was that the file was not uploaded with that batch.

With the minor corrections, I will do them if I can get away without recording. It may as well be word perfect if I can manage that, although I have a feeling that Walt probably wouldn't have worried too much about being word perfect. He would have been more worried about the sound of my 'Yawp!'
Newgatenovelist wrote: April 1st, 2024, 2:32 am Cantos 16, 17, 19, 20 are PL OK.

Canto 15
6.17, omission, p 18 mid-page
Coon-seekers go through the regions of the Red river [or through those drain'd by the Tennessee,] or through those of the Arkansas,

Canto 18 – 0.11, p 20, your note
'With music strong I come...' is missing right at the beginning

Canto 21
2.11, p 24, your note

Canto 22
0.27-0.30, top p 25, extra word
We must have a turn together, I undress, hurry me out of [the] sight of the land.

1.07, note to self left in?
Newgatenovelist

I've downloaded 52 and 18 is spot PL OK, hurrah!

With 21 I'm not sure what’s happened – I can see the run time is longer, but I’m not hearing the missing line. Here's the info again so it's all in one place, because I think this thread could get a bit confusing!

SM21 – 2.11, p 24, your note

I see you've been busy, so I'm downloading the spot PL files now!

Cantos 23, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31 are PL OK. Other notes for your consideration:

Canto 24
3.34-3.39, top half p 29
Root of wash'd sweet-flag! timorous pond-snipe! nest of guarded [heard unguarded] duplicate eggs! it shall be you!

Canto 25
intro – please paste in from another file the ‘LV is PD’ bit of the disclaimer

1.10-1.14, bottom p 30
The dirt receding before [heard by] my prophetical screams,

Canto 27
0.19-0.25, p 33 second line
If nothing lay more develop'd the quahaug in its callous shell were enough.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/quahog

Canto 32
intro – include PD disclaimer
Newgatenovelist

Fab - 8, 10, 15 and 22 are spot PL OK!
eggs4ears wrote: April 1st, 2024, 2:50 am With the minor corrections, I will do them if I can get away without recording. It may as well be word perfect if I can manage that, although I have a feeling that Walt probably wouldn't have worried too much about being word perfect. He would have been more worried about the sound of my 'Yawp!'
No problem at all. Barring things like matching the IA's tech requirements, the notes I pass on are for your information - if with any given project you can't get a good match to patch in, just want shot of it or whatever, then ultimately it's your project and you should just press on. 'Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good' is a well-worn phrase for a reason.
Newgatenovelist

Cantos 35 and 36 are PL OK. For the rest, a real mix of finicky word perfect and some less fussy stuff:

Canto 33
3.06-3.09, top third p 39
Where the cheese-cloth hangs in the kitchen, where andirons straddle [heard straggle] the hearth-slab, where cobwebs fall in festoons from the rafters;

11.47-11.52, alternate take, mid-page p 43
...and Death chasing it up and down the storm, [up and down the storm,]

Canto 34
0.11-0.14, p 45, added word
Now I tell [of] what I knew in Texas in my early youth,

0.17-0.21, p 45
Not [heard No] one escaped to tell the fall of Alamo,

2.10-2.16, p 46 penultimate line
A youth not seventeen [heard seven] years old seiz'd his assassin till two more came to release him.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Can we do this one first? I put the correction in the wrong place - it is at 2:11 but before 'Prodigal...', not 'still nodding night'.

I hope it is uploaded okay - if I play from the server, I hear the old version, but if I download, the correction is there.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/songofmyself_21_whitman_128kb.mp3
Newgatenovelist wrote: April 1st, 2024, 1:47 pm
With 21 I'm not sure what’s happened – I can see the run time is longer, but I’m not hearing the missing line. Here's the info again so it's all in one place, because I think this thread could get a bit confusing!

SM21 – 2.11, p 24, your note
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Cantos 24, 25, 27, 32 ready for spot PL!

I don't mind cutting and pasting corrections, I enjoy the challenge, or recording them. It's just that in this case I won't be able to record corrections for at least two weeks, so if they are small I may leave them be. But so far, so good!

The Collin's recording of 'quahog' is a bit mangled, but the IPA shows that it should be 'co' as in 'cold', which is convenient because there was a 'cold' earlier - you may still hear a little bit of the 'l' sound in the correction :)
Newgatenovelist wrote: April 1st, 2024, 1:47 pm
Cantos 23, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31 are PL OK. Other notes for your consideration:

Canto 24
3.34-3.39, top half p 29
Root of wash'd sweet-flag! timorous pond-snipe! nest of guarded [heard unguarded] duplicate eggs! it shall be you!

Canto 25
intro – please paste in from another file the ‘LV is PD’ bit of the disclaimer

1.10-1.14, bottom p 30
The dirt receding before [heard by] my prophetical screams,

Canto 27
0.19-0.25, p 33 second line
If nothing lay more develop'd the quahaug in its callous shell were enough.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/quahog

Canto 32
intro – include PD disclaimer
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

33 and 34 ready for spot PL! That should bring me up to date for now.

'straddle', 'Not one...' and 'seventeen' are all a bit dodgy, but I guess it depends if they will be noticeable in the flow of listening. I hope not, but if you disagree please say so and I will record the lines again.
Newgatenovelist wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 1:53 pm Cantos 35 and 36 are PL OK. For the rest, a real mix of finicky word perfect and some less fussy stuff:

Canto 33
3.06-3.09, top third p 39
Where the cheese-cloth hangs in the kitchen, where andirons straddle [heard straggle] the hearth-slab, where cobwebs fall in festoons from the rafters;

11.47-11.52, alternate take, mid-page p 43
...and Death chasing it up and down the storm, [up and down the storm,]

Canto 34
0.11-0.14, p 45, added word
Now I tell [of] what I knew in Texas in my early youth,

0.17-0.21, p 45
Not [heard No] one escaped to tell the fall of Alamo,

2.10-2.16, p 46 penultimate line
A youth not seventeen [heard seven] years old seiz'd his assassin till two more came to release him.
Newgatenovelist

We've been busily working on this at nearly the same time again, I think! I'll get downloading the updated files. In the meantime, here's what I PLed:

Cantos 38-40, 42-44 and 46 are PL OK.

Canto 37
0.48-0.50, p 50 top third
(I am less the [heard the less] jolly one there...

Canto 41
2.19-2.24, omission, p 54
their white foreheads whole and unhurt out of [the] flames,

Canto 45
2.09-2.13, extra word, top half p 62
If I, you, and the worlds, and all beneath or upon their surfaces, were [at] this moment reduced back to a pallid float...
Newgatenovelist

48-52 PL OK!

Canto 47:

1.29-1.32, omission, p 65
(It is you talking [just] as much as myself,

3.12-3.16, extra word, p 66
The young mother and [the] old mother comprehend me.
Newgatenovelist

24, 25, 27, 32, 33 are spot PL OK!

With 21 I’ve downloaded it and I’m now hearing the correction in the right place! I've marked it PL OK unless some playing-from-the-MW-is-different-to-downloading thing comes to light that means I need to check it again.

Canto 34: The new file is over half an hour. I like poetry, but this is more than I bargained for!

eggs4ears wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 3:28 am I don't mind cutting and pasting corrections, I enjoy the challenge, or recording them. It's just that in this case I won't be able to record corrections for at least two weeks, so if they are small I may leave them be. But so far, so good!
Your ability to work from existing files is superior to mine. And if it makes this 95% word perfect instead of 90% (or whatever), then great! Let's see how we get on with the last few. It's getting closer!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! I've uploaded the short version of Canto 34 :oops: I'll get on to the last round of corrections later.
Newgatenovelist wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 7:07 am
Canto 34: The new file is over half an hour. I like poetry, but this is more than I bargained for!
I believe this will be my 100th completed solo. Around 70 of them have been with this team and I would never have made it to 100 without your encouragement and help. So a big thank you to both of you, Anne & Erin! :clap: :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs: :clap:
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

34, 37, 41, 45 & 47 ready for spot PL! And that should be that for this project.

If you would like to join me, next up will be Frederik van Eeden, Little Johannes, which I will post tomorrow. I think it is quite an interesting book and not really a fairy tale as Andrew Lang's introduction implies it might be.
Newgatenovelist

34 is PL OK. I'd thought it was just that canto and I was all caught up. Shows what I get for thinking!

Yes to van Eeden. I'll check in on that and check the outstanding files here maybe Friday, more likely the weekend.
eggs4ears wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 2:43 pm I believe this will be my 100th completed solo. Around 70 of them have been with this team and I would never have made it to 100 without your encouragement and help. So a big thank you to both of you, Anne & Erin! :clap: :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs: :clap:
Congrats! That's a milestone to be proud of. And here's to whatever's ahead, too! I can't find the emojis I'd like, but :mrgreen: :9: