COMPLETE: Ancient Civilizations of Mexico and Central America, by Herbert J. Spinden -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Glad to head that you've made it to Tikal - it definitely is a must-see destination.
I have just uploaded section 7, and should have section 8 ready in a few days.
Regards.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 5th, 2024, 6:19 am Glad to head that you've made it to Tikal - it definitely is a must-see destination.
I have just uploaded section 7, and should have section 8 ready in a few days.
Regards.
Loved Tikal. My husband, of course, as we were standing atop one of the pyramids instantly associated it with one of the Star Wars movies. :roll:

Section 7 was great and gets another PL OK.

Thanks,

M
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Wonderful! We're approaching the final lap on this nice book. I've just submitted section 8 for your review.
Regards.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 6th, 2024, 7:28 am Wonderful! We're approaching the final lap on this nice book. I've just submitted section 8 for your review.
Regards.
Section 8 is PL OK. And, it is on to the infamous Aztecs.

M
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Hello @mleigh, here is section 9, dealing with the Aztecs.

Checker reported "failed" due to the recording allegedly being in stereo mode, instead of mono. I am not sure of the reason, since my Audacity settings are always in mono mode, and I have verified it to be so. Please let me know if you see an issue with the file.

Thanks!
Mario.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 9th, 2024, 7:47 am Hello @mleigh, here is section 9, dealing with the Aztecs.

Checker reported "failed" due to the recording allegedly being in stereo mode, instead of mono. I am not sure of the reason, since my Audacity settings are always in mono mode, and I have verified it to be so. Please let me know if you see an issue with the file.

Thanks!
Mario.
It is opening in Audacity as stereo. When I try to export from Audacity it defaults to stereo for this file. Did your export setting get changed somehow due to an update or something?

The stereo is the only thing that wants changing on the file.

Most interesting section.

M
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Yes, you were right. I must've inadvertently selected the Stereo button during export. File re-exported correctly and Checker is now happy. It's ready for Spot PL.

Now, on to the last chapter!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 9th, 2024, 8:04 pm Yes, you were right. I must've inadvertently selected the Stereo button during export. File re-exported correctly and Checker is now happy. It's ready for Spot PL.

Now, on to the last chapter!
PL OK now.

Thanks,

M
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Hi @mleigh, PBS is presently broadcasting a documentary on Mayan Cities: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/
I believe that it'll be saved online also.
Regards.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 10th, 2024, 7:43 pm Hi @mleigh, PBS is presently broadcasting a documentary on Mayan Cities: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/
I believe that it'll be saved online also.
Regards.
Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it to watch later.
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Hi M,
the last section has been uploaded for PL.
Thanks!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 15th, 2024, 2:48 pm Hi M,
the last section has been uploaded for PL.
Thanks!
Great job. Although there was a little too much detail on the Aztec sacrifices for me. Quite grim.

This section, and indeed the entire work, are all PL OK. Quite an interesting book for those of us who find many of the ancient civilizations fascinating.

Thanks,

M
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Hi @mleigh, I concur with you on the amount of details, yet I believe that it provides a different perspective to the mainstream knowledge: some of those sacrified did so willingly... :hmm:

In any case, I am very glad to have read this book - it provided much new knowledge for me.

Thanks so much for your prompt review and comments. :clap: Look forward to work with you again in the future.

--------------------------
Hi Jo, the project is now complete. Would you please take the following steps and let me know if you need anything from me?

Thanks to both!
Mario.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 16th, 2024, 6:29 am Hi @mleigh, I concur with you on the amount of details, yet I believe that it provides a different perspective to the mainstream knowledge: some of those sacrified did so willingly... :hmm:

In any case, I am very glad to have read this book - it provided much new knowledge for me.

Thanks so much for your prompt review and comments. :clap: Look forward to work with you again in the future.

--------------------------
Hi Jo, the project is now complete. Would you please take the following steps and let me know if you need anything from me?

Thanks to both!
Mario.
I did learn a lot, but unfortunately for me, the thing that will come to my mind the most will be wearing the skins. Seriously though, I did study a little Latin American history in school (I got a Spanish degree), and learned quite a bit here that I hadn't learned in my coursework. I would love to work with you again, you are an excellent reader and if you pick such interesting works,

Thanks,

M
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations Mario on completion of this solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/ancient-civilizations-of-mexico-and-central-america-by-herbert-j-spinden/
Jo