any ideas for dinner?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

What should I make for dinner tomorrow night? :?: Any ideas? I want to make something that does not take too long. Maybe some kind of soup? I enjoy making egg drop soup, but I made that recently.
-Iona
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

My answer for dinner is always

Pizza!

It does take a bit longer to make your own dough, but for a quicker solution you can get ready made pizza dough, and add your toppings.
IonaMuirgel2002

Ooh, that's a great idea! I didn't think of that! 😋🍕 Any new ideas are always appreciated! :D
Thanks!
-Iona
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

This is a quick recipe:
https://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/15-minute-honey-garlic-chicken/

Also quick: Omelette with some kind of filling. For example, the other day, I made omelette with leftovers: Fried mushrooms, a good handful or so of spinach and crumbled feta cheese.
You could also put grated cheese into the omelette's egg mix, but for that, you better have a non-stick pan.

And a suuuuper simple soup (1 serving): Cook 500 ml of chicken stock with 250 g of frozen peas, puree the peas and optionally, add some kind of protein into the soup.
For example, I like to turn the heat to medium low, carefully crack an egg into the pureed soup so it doesn't spread too much and let it boil until the white is firm and the yolk still runny. Not sure how long that takes, a few minutes - you'd have to check sometimes to see when the consistency is right. Or you could put omelette strips into the soup (haven't tried it yet myself).
What's nice about this soup is how the frozen peas make it taste fresh.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Quiche is one of my easiest go-tos. I buy the crusts (gluten-free for my husband), then use a favourite vegetable (e.g., sautéed mushrooms, roasted sweet potato, or just some nice tomatoes), grated cheese (gruyere or cheddar are favourites), some cream, some spices (nutmeg, dry mustard, cumin, salt, pepper), and paprika for the top.

Grate the cheese, and sprinkle at the bottom of the crust(s), then add the veggies, mix the eggs with cream and spices and pour it over, then sprinkle the top with paprika. 30 minutes or so at 375 degrees, and you have an elegant main course that you can add a tossed salad to for a complete meal!

Although I've looked at recipes, I generally find them a bit too finicky, and my method always yields a nice result, so now I just wing it. Always a success.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
IonaMuirgel2002

Mmm, I am getting hungry just thinking about what food to make! :D
-Phyllis Diller

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Can you please make the subjects of your threads a bit more specific?

Less click-baity attracts better answers. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
IonaMuirgel2002

:thumbs:
-Phyllis Diller

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

What did you end up cooking last night?
IonaMuirgel2002

Ok, so I am so embarrassed to tell you! I lost track of the time :oops: , and when I realized what time it was, it was too late to make anything new. So I warmed up leftovers. But I made something new tonight instead. I made Goulash, https://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/goulash/. It was really good! Everyone liked it, so I guess they forgave me for forgetting to make something new the other night :D. Sadly, I did not have peppers or elbow noodles, or fresh tomato's. So I used fusilli instead, and tomato sauce, and I omitted the peppers. I had fun scrolling through recipe ideas though, I always get so inspired, and make my favorites list longer and longer saying to myself "Ooh, I have to make this sometime, and this, and this, etc." Anyone else like that, or just me?
-Iona
-Phyllis Diller

msfry

Post by msfry »

My favorite 8-egg quiche recipe:
Break 8 large eggs in a 4 cup measuring cup. Scramble.
Fill to the 4 cup line with whatever you have on hand -- grated cheese, chopped veggies, 4 oz of Jimmy Dean sausage (fried) or any other meat like shrimp, cooked chicken, ham bits, etc, a spoon or 2 of fire-roasted tomatoes. Throw in some oregano, thyme, cilantro or parsley if you like.
Sprinkle to taste with Tony Cacherie's Creole Seasoning (salt, pepper, other spices)
Dash of Worchestershire, hot sauce or siracha.
Stir well.
Pour into a 9.5" deep dish pie crust
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes
Makes 8 slices with 1 egg and 1 oz of meat in each slice.

Like any stew or salad, a quiche is a great place to throw in leftovers, a little of this, a little of that. I've never made one that wasn't delish.