~OPEN [DR] Stand By For Mars! - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
loon

Post by loon »

Stand By For Mars!, by Carey Rockwell (Dramatic Reading)
This is the first book in the “Tom Corbett, Space Cadet” series.
In the 24th century every teenager from every planet, moon and rock in the solar system has a common dream: to become an officer in the Solar Guard. Three budding Space Cadets meet up at Space Acadamy, USA – and soon are assigned to their very own rocket cruiser, the Polaris. The Cadets-in-training must overcome turmoil and danger on their way to becoming the most storied unit in the history of the Solar Alliance. (Summary by Rich Brown)
Source text (PL for edited chapters only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19526
Individual reader scripts: https://fullloon.com/Mars/
Available roles: https://fullloon.com/Mars/Roles.pdf

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: KgelTHhk
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 265
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1952
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Tom Corbett, Space Cadet

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs
Please submit files for your character without noise reduction/compression/processing. I will do that processing on each track myself - trying to make all the voices in a chapter sound like they were recorded in the same session. Thanks! Don't worry if your track's volume falls a bit outside the normal loud/soft limits for LibriVox submissions. I will be adjusting the volume for each voice to match the other voices in a chapter.

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Stand By For Mars!, by Carey Rockwell. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Stand By For Mars!, by Carey Rockwell."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: standbyformars_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. standbyformars_romeo_1.mp3)
I have a file name for each part in the Magic Window, but don't blindly trust me. If the file name looks like a typo it could very well be one.
For final files: standbyformars_#_rockwell_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. standbyformars_1_rockwell_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by loon on April 21st, 2024, 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
loon

Post by loon »

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Stand By For Mars! is already in the LibriVox catalog at https://librivox.org/stand-by-for-mars-by-carey-rockwell-2 but it screams out (to me, at least) to be a Dramatic Reading.
Visit https://librivox.org/the-revolt-on-venus-dramatic-reading-by-carey-rockwell/ for an example of what I'm after.

Voices returning from that book (perhaps in a new role):
jhedrick (as Narrator)
ToddHW (as Roger Manning)
loon (as Astro)
jennlea (as Philip Morgan)
LCaulkins (as PA announcments)
silverquill (as Commander Walters)
All the remaining roles are open and gender neutral. https://fullloon.com/Mars/Roles.pdf will be updated as readers claim parts.

I will PL incoming individual parts and edit. The project needs a PL for the eventual edited chapters.
If you find errors in assigned roles at https://fullloon.com/Mars/... point them out to me and I'll fix the script.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

May I claim Dr. Joan Dale? I read this book as a teenager, and loved it.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
loon

Post by loon »

Winnifred wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:37 pm May I claim Dr. Joan Dale? I read this book as a teenager, and loved it.

Thanks,
Of course you may.

(Dr. Dale deserves more lines than she gets in this series - after all, she came up with the inventions that make interstellar travel possible.)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

loon wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:58 pm
Winnifred wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:37 pm May I claim Dr. Joan Dale? I read this book as a teenager, and loved it.

Thanks,
Of course you may.
Thanks!
loon wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:58 pm (Dr. Dale deserves more lines than she gets in this series - after all, she came up with the inventions that make interstellar travel possible.)
Absolutely! And I love the way she responds to the whistles and catcalls from the cadets in Chapter 2 ("Thank-you ... But we'll have no further repetitions. This is Space Academy—not a primary school!")
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

How old are the Cadets supposed to be? Like are they supposed to be young adults/adults who've gone through puberty and are better voiced by men or kids/teens who are not fully grown yet and could get away with being voiced by a woman? I know you say casting is gender neutral but I am interested in Tom if the latter and he seems to be one of the main characters so if the former I'd rather let someone better suited do it and I can choose a smaller role
loon

Post by loon »

Inkell wrote: March 17th, 2024, 5:39 pm How old are the Cadets supposed to be? Like are they supposed to be young adults/adults who've gone through puberty and are better voiced by men or kids/teens who are not fully grown yet and could get away with being voiced by a woman? I know you say casting is gender neutral but I am interested in Tom if the latter and he seems to be one of the main characters so if the former I'd rather let someone better suited do it and I can choose a smaller role
This is their first year at the Academy. In my mind all the cadets are around high school seniors or in the year after graduating from high school. So, their ages will be 17-18-19 approximately, or maybe 16 for someone who skipped a grade in school. There are so few good female characters in this series I'll be happy to have a woman read any role.

Tom is absolutely THE HERO character in this book and this series. Roger and Astro have secondary hero/sidekick status.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will MC. Setting up MW now.

EDIT: Ready for you. Moving to Dramatic Works since you're getting claims already.

Thanks, Todd
loon

Post by loon »

Thanks!

I’ll fill in the Magic Window soon - it’s dishwasher delivery day. We are next on their list.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

loon wrote: March 17th, 2024, 6:49 pm This is their first year at the Academy. In my mind all the cadets are around high school seniors or in the year after graduating from high school. So, their ages will be 17-18-19 approximately, or maybe 16 for someone who skipped a grade in school. There are so few good female characters in this series I'll be happy to have a woman read any role.

Tom is absolutely THE HERO character in this book and this series. Roger and Astro have secondary hero/sidekick status.
Hmm... that's kind of borderline justifiable then and having skimmed through it all now, there is a scene where Tom has to go into the Jefferson tubes or something because he is smaller which could imply he is younger and/or slow to puberty and he seems knowledgeable enough to have possibly skipped a grade, there doesn't seem to be any romance for him so no weirdness there. THE HERO character is a lot of pressure though but this does look like a really fun read and how often do you get to be a 50's hero? Ah decisions, decisions...

By the way, I notice it says the author is unknown but most non-US uses death of author for PD but here is no warning so before I commit to anything, is it safe for non-US readers?
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

Hello, may I please be Mary Bailey
loon

Post by loon »

AgnesRobert wrote: March 18th, 2024, 8:21 am Hello, may I please be Mary Bailey
Sure. Glad to have you.
loon

Post by loon »

Inkell wrote: March 18th, 2024, 7:59 am By the way, I notice it says the author is unknown but most non-US uses death of author for PD but here is no warning so before I commit to anything, is it safe for non-US readers?
The name Carey Rockwell was an alias used by Grosset & Dunlap for (one or more) work-for-hire author(s) on this series. "Rockhill Radio" failed to renew the copyrights on 7 of the 8 "Tom Corbett" books so they are public domain in the US.

Non US readers will have to check their national rules about work for hire copyrights to see if they can legitimately participate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_for_hire#European_Union suggests that works with annonymous authors enter the public domain 70 years after publication in EU countries, so 1952+70 = 2022 = fair game. Perhaps an admin can further advise us.
WoollyLambda

Post by WoollyLambda »

Hello! I just checked the PDF and I see that the role of Cadet Herbert is open. Would I be able to take that one? Wishing you all the best!
Currently recording:

Psyche in Cupid and Psyche for Greek Myths and Hero Tales
loon

Post by loon »

WoollyLambda wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:23 am Hello! I just checked the PDF and I see that the role of Cadet Herbert is open. Would I be able to take that one? Wishing you all the best!
Cadet Herbert is yours. The lines in chapter 10 are cheering in the crowd at a mercuryball match.