~OPEN [DR] Stand By For Mars! - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
WoollyLambda

Post by WoollyLambda »

loon wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:30 am
WoollyLambda wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:23 am Hello! I just checked the PDF and I see that the role of Cadet Herbert is open. Would I be able to take that one? Wishing you all the best!
Cadet Herbert is yours. The lines in chapter 10 are cheering in the crowd at a mercuryball match.
Woo! Okay, tysm ^u^
Currently recording:

Psyche in Cupid and Psyche for Greek Myths and Hero Tales
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

loon wrote: March 18th, 2024, 9:59 am The name Carey Rockwell was an alias used by Grosset & Dunlap for (one or more) work-for-hire author(s) on this series. "Rockhill Radio" failed to renew the copyrights on 7 of the 8 "Tom Corbett" books so they are public domain in the US.

Non US readers will have to check their national rules about work for hire copyrights to see if they can legitimately participate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_for_hire#European_Union suggests that works with annonymous authors enter the public domain 70 years after publication in EU countries, so 1952+70 = 2022 = fair game. Perhaps an admin can further advise us.
Well as far as I can tell where I am with anonymous authors it says they go 70 years far it was first made public instead so I think I should be good unless admins know something I don't, which they may do. Though I started listening to the Librivox version that already exists to prep for the role (I also wasn't kidding when I said this book looked interesting!) and in the first chapter it does describe Tom as looking about eighteen. Are you still sure you are okay with a female voice for Tom? If not, I will go with Al James
loon

Post by loon »

Inkell wrote: March 18th, 2024, 1:29 pm Well as far as I can tell where I am with anonymous authors it says they go 70 years far it was first made public instead so I think I should be good unless admins know something I don't, which they may do. Though I started listening to the Librivox version that already exists to prep for the role (I also wasn't kidding when I said this book looked interesting!) and in the first chapter it does describe Tom as looking about eighteen. Are you still sure you are okay with a female voice for Tom? If not, I will go with Al James
(Book 3 in the series states that Tom is 18, so maybe he had just turned 18 in book 1.)

If you are enthusiastic about the role, take it!

If you are still worried about it, we could split the difference. Would you like to do Steve Strong? Steve starts out intimidating Tom, Roger and Astro. He threatens them with a lifetime supply of demerits but turns into their biggest defender by the end of this book.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

loon wrote: March 18th, 2024, 4:55 pm (Book 3 in the series states that Tom is 18, so maybe he had just turned 18 in book 1.)

If you are enthusiastic about the role, take it!

If you are still worried about it, we could split the difference. Would you like to do Steve Strong? Steve starts out intimidating Tom, Roger and Astro. He threatens them with a lifetime supply of demerits but turns into their biggest defender by the end of this book.
(I believe the line in this book is 'about 18' so there is a bit of leeway, he could bee 18 already or 17 and he turns 18 at some before book 3).

I am enthusiastic now! I finished listening to book 1 while working and thought it was very good, I really enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to listening to book 2 tomorrow :D

If you are okay with it then I think I will take Tom, he is arguably the least interesting of the main trio anyway (unless he has more going on in later books) haha, kind of the straight more to his more colorful companions. Personally it doesn't actually bother me but I know it does bother some people, I don't even usually go for major roles unless they have been unclaimed for awhile but this title grabbed me right away, then the interesting summary and for once it is not US-only. I did consider Steve but I don't feel like I pull off sounding intimidating very well which is how he acts towards them early so I didn't think I'd be good at the role which is why I started looking to more minor parts for a back up role
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi there,

May I claim Front Desk Clerk in chapter 11?

Thanks,
Stacey
loon

Post by loon »

Tom Corbett is now claimed.
Front Desk Clerk is now claimed.

The Magic Window is mostly filled in.
* My fat fingers claimed I needed 265 sections and not 165.
* Please check for misplaced claims and let me know.
* The 'Notes' in the Magic Window give the file names each reader part should have.
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

loon

Post by loon »

AgnesRobert wrote: March 18th, 2024, 6:50 pm mary, chapter 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/standbyformars_mary_14.mp3 (0:25)
Thank you. PL OK.
We're under way. :-)
Robundle

Post by Robundle »

Hello! I'd like to claim Steve Strong, if I may.
~ Robert Cheyne
loon

Post by loon »

Robundle wrote: March 18th, 2024, 7:13 pm Hello! I'd like to claim Steve Strong, if I may.
You can. That's the last of the roles in over 10 chapters.
loon

Post by loon »

And a note to all readers: this is melodrama. Overacting is encouraged!
Robundle

Post by Robundle »

Just one thing... How are we pronouncing Corbett (Tom's last name)? COR-bit, or cor-BET (because of the ending double-t)?
~ Robert Cheyne
loon

Post by loon »

Robundle wrote: March 18th, 2024, 7:36 pm Just one thing... How are we pronouncing Corbett (Tom's last name)? COR-bit, or cor-BET (because of the ending double-t)?
COR-bit please.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

loon wrote: March 18th, 2024, 6:43 pm Tom Corbett is now claimed.
Front Desk Clerk is now claimed.

The Magic Window is mostly filled in.
* My fat fingers claimed I needed 265 sections and not 165.
* Please check for misplaced claims and let me know.
* The 'Notes' in the Magic Window give the file names each reader part should have.
Very minor unimportant niggly point. You've put me down for Dr. Dale, Chapter 2 twice, but I believe the second one (Section 47) should actually be Chapter 3. You can ignore it, but I just wanted to make sure there's no confusion later on.

And thanks for the file names! I love cut and paste when it comes to file names.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
loon

Post by loon »

Winnifred wrote: March 18th, 2024, 9:34 pm Very minor unimportant niggly point. You've put me down for Dr. Dale, Chapter 2 twice, but I believe the second one (Section 47) should actually be Chapter 3. You can ignore it, but I just wanted to make sure there's no confusion later on.
It's those niggly points that can inflate into headaches when I have a couple hundred files in my Stand By For Mars! project folder(s). ("Where did Dr. Dale go?! I know I heard her say that line, but now I can't find it.") I've edited the MW - thanks for pointing that one out.