( solo) Argonauts of the Western Pacific by Bronisław Malinowski-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Argonauts of the Western Pacific, by Bronisław Malinowski (1884 - 1942)
(to be added) (Summary by Piotr Nater)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55822

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: SqYQegjU
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronisław_Malinowski (Bronisław Malinowski)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argonauts_of_the_Western_Pacific
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 24
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1922
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: culture, research, exchange

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Argonauts of the Western Pacific. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Argonauts of the Western Pacific, by Bronisław Malinowski. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Argonauts of the Western Pacific, by Bronisław Malinowski. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Argonauts of the Western Pacific, by Bronisław Malinowski."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: argonautsofthewesternpacific_##_malinowski_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. argonautsofthewesternpacific_01_malinowski_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I tried recording this on Legamus 10 years ago, but I eventually abandoned the project, nibbled in random places and thus hard to salvage, so here's a new effort.
I already have one section ready, but I'm planning to move slowly for the time being as I still have my previous solo to finish... and there's quite a bit of it remaining.
One small question. While the author's name is Bronisław, having been born and educated in what was then Austria-Hungarian Poland, he spent most of his career as a resercher in British service and thus the title page of this work credits him as Bronislaw (as special characters were not easily obtainable in print, I guess). Still, being Polish, I read it out as Bronisław and that's how I wrote it down in the template. I guess we go with the Polish form then? Or should I change it?

Also, this work has preface, foreword and introduction. The first two are rather short, so I can easily read them as one section, but the introduction is long and requires its own section. I'm not sure how to handle this yet.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up and we can discuss these things then , it's often easier to see than describe. I've read Margaret Meade but admit to never having heard of this one so maybe I will PL.
Back soon

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK - all set up as a work in progress
I think read the preface and forward as section 0 and the introduction as 01
I the filenames should certainly have the anglicised spelling, I'l investigate whether we can use the Polish spelling as an alternative name and thus search for it - think it would be OK but would sooner find out for sure. Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

annise wrote: March 17th, 2024, 4:03 am OK - all set up as a work in progress
I think read the preface and forward as section 0 and the introduction as 01
I the filenames should certainly have the anglicised spelling, I'l investigate whether we can use the Polish spelling as an alternative name and thus search for it - think it would be OK but would sooner find out for sure. Anne
I don't mind the written form so much, because I realise that all his work was done as a researcher in service of Great Britain (although it'd be interesting to see if we can have both variants as searchable results). I just did a quick search on the London School of Economics website (the school where he worked) and they credit him as Bronislaw. Fine with me. Feel free to change the written form wherever it's necessary.

Filenames are not a concern, because they don't contain the first name.

I'm still going to read the first name as Bronisław in the intro, though.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Oh I am sure you should say the name correctly - I just need to be sure that the written word works with all the software. It does work in a catalogue search which is a good start :thumbs:

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

The first (although really the third) chapter is in. Got 57 minutes to spare? :) Fortunately, it is very helpfully divided into subchapters, which should make PLing easier.
The reason why I'm starting with this one is because I originally wanted to contribute it to the Non-fiction collection, but then, when it was already recorded, I decided that it would probably sound too out-of-context there. (Although it does deal with the crucial concept discussed in the book).
You can PL it now, or wait for the earlier chapters to drop, as you wish :) The text frequently mentions photos and plates included in the text, so feel free to look at those for better immersion.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Back to the beginnings. Section 0 has been uploaded.
The audio quality is different in the preface than in the foreword and acknowledgements because after recording the former I put my mic in a different place to do some preliminary editing comfortably and then forgot to place the mic back in its former spot before I started with the latter part :oops:
Also, seeing as you're from Melbourne, sorry for pronouncing the name of your city in at least two different ways :mrgreen:
I decided to include the acknowledgements because I liked the part when he talks about the logistics of doing his research. Also, the latter part of the foreword already reads like it belongs in the acknowledgements :hmm:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I missed your post - sorry . real life got in the way and a computer melt down didn't help but things are settling down. Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: - it's nice to listen to someone who believed "ignorant savages" were very like us - I liked the comparison with the Crown Jewels :D. I still shudder about some of the fiction books we record about ???? and their trip to Australia and it's cannibal natives :roll: .

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

The previous solo has just been cataloged, so I can now focus on this one. Finally some prose :lol:

The Introduction is in.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

PL OK
He makes very interesting remarks, I'm looking forward to the rest :clap: . Though if it wasn't for the records made by non trained people we would not know anything about many peoples

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

What are the rules concerning footnotes? Given that I haven't read any in the chapters so far, can I now pick and choose which ones to read, or should I omit them entirely for the project to be consistent?