1minute test submission

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
JaySoundVO

Post by JaySoundVO »

Hi there

Please find below the to my 1 minute test recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_JaySoundVO.mp3

Recording software: This was recorded on Audacity but may also use Reaper in future.
Operating system: Windows 11
Mic Type: Blue Yeti USB

This has been submitted without any modifications. Future recordings will make use of noise reduction and other editing to reduce any background hums, clicks, breaths etc and adjusted to meet the necessary audio requirements.

Look forward to your feedback and to getting into some audiobook recording!

Regards

Jason Kennedy-Davidson
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Welcome Jason

I reviewed your test sample, and while it sounds good there are some technical changes needed. LibriVox requires audio that is 128kbps constant bit rate MP3, 44.1kHz sample rate, mono, and between 86dB and 92dB, preferably 89-90. Your test audio is 103kbps variable bit rate, and volume too low at 85.5dB.

Make sure input gain slider in Audacity (upper right with the little mic icon) is well to the right. Then adjust the input gain on your mic so your raw recording has wave forms that peak at about the 0.5 marks in the Audacity window:

If necessary, adjust the volume level before exporting by going to Effects>Amplify.

When exporting your MP3 from Audacity, go to File>Export Audio. In the pop-up menu select:
Format: MP3 Files
Channels: Mono.
Sample Rate: 44100
Bit Rate Mode: Constant.
Quality: 128kbps.

These selections will be saved for future exports.

See the pinned post at the top of this forum for screen shots of these menus and settings.

If you transition to Reaper (which I use) these will be found in the Render menu

You can pre-check your audio yourself by downloading the free Checker app: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
Passed with Warnings is a fail with regard to volume.

Please make a new test recording and post it in a reply to this message. I will come back and review it for you.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page