[COMPLETE] Selected Poems - Silva - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Selected Poems, by José Asunción Silva (1865 - 1896)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/selected-poems-by-jose-asuncion-silva/

José Asunción Silva was a Colombian poet and exponent of the modernismo literary movement. These poems were translated by Muna Lee, Edna Worthley Underwood, William George Williams, Thomas Walsh and Alice Stone Blackwell and were published from 1916 to 1926. (Summary by Newgatenovelist)
Source text (please read only from this text!):

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: LBVNjFzt
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Asunci%C3%B3n_Silva (José Asunción Silva)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 8
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1926
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: 19th century, modernismo, colombia

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Selected Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Selected Poems, by José Asunción Silva. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Selected Poems, by José Asunción Silva. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Selected Poems, by José Asunción Silva."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: selectedpoems_##_silva_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. selectedpoems_01_silva_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
brucek

Post by brucek »

Thanks, Erin. Looking forward to it!

Bruce.
Newgatenovelist

Welcome back, and thank you again for putting up with my eccentric tastes! This collection is a curious case, as two poems comprise five of the sections as rendered by different translators. You can see which interpretation you prefer.
Erin
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up - back soon.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? nup just me :(
When you are adding the metadata you only will need to add the URL (because they are all the same author). That makes the LV catalogue page look better - it only shows the source field for each poem not the author X times.
We've a few projects with different translations, making good translations is not easy I think but without them much would be lost.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Thank you for telling me about the metadata. Adding just the text link will be a shade quicker, and it's all to the good if it makes it visually tidier to boot.

Seeing what different translators opted for is fascinating. Trying to make them audibly engaging is going to be plenty, I'm glad I didn't contend with the translation as well!

One poem title is just a question mark. It's unusual, but will the IA software accept that? Once upon a time double quotation marks gave it hiccups. I don't see why ? should be a problem, but I'd rather ask now than be surprised later.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not sure - just use ? and see what happens - it's not hard to fix in the early cataloguing steps if it does and then we will both know

Anne
Newgatenovelist

The two serenades are ready for PL. They're quite short, and if you'd prefer to leave them until I've uploaded more that's no problem at all.
Erin
brucek

Post by brucek »

Beautiful poems! Sections 4 and 7 are PL OK.

Bruce.
Newgatenovelist

Sections 1-3, 5, 6 and 8 are ready for PL. I didn't read them deeply when I was doing the preliminary searching for this series, but having read them more carefully now I do think these Nocturno translations ought to be better known in English than they are. Reading the different translators' decisions for this project has been quite educational.
Erin
brucek

Post by brucek »

Thank you for your perfect reading of these wonderfully sensitive works of poetic art.

In response to your query regarding my interpretation preferences, all three Nocturno translations are indeed beautiful and my choice would in no way reflect your impeccable reading. But had I to choose I would prefer section two in which, "knowledge of a future dark and bitter," juxtaposed with "the pathway of the flowers," is as compelling as the concept of "interlacing shadows of twin bodies reuniting with the shadows of their souls" - phrases that evoke images both enchanting and contemplative and blending ideally with corresponding elements of the poem.

Similarly alluring are the two translations of Serenata, and my difficult choice would be for section seven in which, among others, the phrase, "a moan is breathed from the fragile strings" captures the incomparable sonic and visual images of the work.

All sections are PL OK - well done, Erin.

Bruce.
Newgatenovelist

Thank you so much, Bruce. I will reiterate that it's a pleasure to work with someone who engages so thoughtfully with the project. There's nothing at all wrong with a proof listener who simply does the task, but chatting with someone who loves poetry is its own unique joy.

Anne, this is ready for the catalogue!

As a general note, I'll be launching the next author in the series in May.

Erin
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Started wheels turning.
May sounds good to me - April is a busy month for me. Anne

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/selected-poems-by-jose-asuncion-silva/

Thanks to all who have helped. Anne
Newgatenovelist

Thank you, Bruce and Anne. These translations were particularly elegant, but the collection wouldn't be in the catalogue without your efforts.

Anne, in the cover art I'm currently seeing a template for the project summary text area. I'm never quite sure when files are updated on the server, that is, I might be looking at something you've already updated. It's not urgent, but if you are able could you please check it?

Erin
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I's OK now- I made a late change . It should be right now. Anne