[HUMOROUS ESSAYS] The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TanishaSharma wrote: March 20th, 2024, 9:25 pm Alright.. I am sorry!! I was just pretty excited to start recording and since I didn't get any replies back on my test recording I assumed it got approved.
I thought perhaps that was the case. The folks approving tests generally try to state clearly when it's approved, as the admins have to go in afterwards and add [OK] to the subject line of any tests that have been approved. If there's no statement saying the test is approved, they'll assume it isn't approved yet.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
TanishaSharma

Post by TanishaSharma »

Winnifred wrote: March 20th, 2024, 9:32 pm
TanishaSharma wrote: March 20th, 2024, 9:25 pm Alright.. I am sorry!! I was just pretty excited to start recording and since I didn't get any replies back on my test recording I assumed it got approved.
I thought perhaps that was the case. The folks approving tests generally try to state clearly when it's approved, as the admins have to go in afterwards and add [OK] to the subject line of any tests that have been approved. If there's no statement saying the test is approved, they'll assume it isn't approved yet.

Cheers,
Oh I see, thanks a lot for the clarification!!
Appreciate it,
Tanisha Sharma
ChristopherKloko

Post by ChristopherKloko »

May I claim section 4: A call for the Author?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ChristopherKloko wrote: March 21st, 2024, 6:35 am May I claim section 4: A call for the Author?
You certainly may! Thanks. Remember to review the first post for instructions about naming the file, what goes into the intro/outro, length of required silences, etc.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

I'm available and interested to DPL if you've not found anyone yet. - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BetsyWalker wrote: March 21st, 2024, 11:56 am I'm available and interested to DPL if you've not found anyone yet. - Betsy
Hooray! Yes, please, absolutely. I've been eyeing the rapidly filling Magic Window and wondering whether I was going to be forced to start doing it myself.

Welcome to the Powder of Sympathy! As soon as Ann gives you access, you can get started.

Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

BetsyWalker wrote: March 21st, 2024, 11:56 am I'm available and interested to DPL if you've not found anyone yet. - Betsy
You have access to the MW now Betsy! Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

icequeen wrote: March 21st, 2024, 7:25 pm
You have access to the MW now Betsy! Thank you!
:thumbs: :thumbs: I went ahead and PLed sections 0 and 1 last night, so I already have some notes. I'm very glad to get started and help with this project! - Betsy
Last edited by BetsyWalker on March 22nd, 2024, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

TanishaSharma wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:05 pm
Hi !

I have PLed sections 0 and 1, but not more than that yet. For the most part section 1 was well read - very engaging! But there were pronunciation issues. Most of them won't be a problem and so aren't mentioned here, but some do need fixing. Here's my list of "fix-its" in section 1 :wink:

At 0:02
Mispronounced “Powder” as if it were spelled “Powdra”

At 5:48
Mispronounced “Eton” as if it were spelled “Etton”. Should be like “eaten”.

At 5:53
Mispronounced “obsolete” as if were spelled “obsolute”.

At 7:05-7:28
Mispronounced “pint” as if were “hint”. Should be a long "l" not short.

At 8:43
Background noise – traffic.

At 9:28
Pronounced the “t” in “Clarets”. It should be left silent.

At 9:29
Pronounced Bordeaux” as if it were “Bordocks”. Here's a link to help with the pronunciation, you can just click the small speaker symbol. Either the English or the French would be fine.
https://translate.google.com/?sl=fr&tl=en&text=Bordeaux%0A&op=translate

At 9:47
Said “Scottish” whiskey instead of “Scotch” whiskey.

If you have moments of being unsure of how to pronounce any word, that Google Translate website is terrific to help.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
TanishaSharma

Post by TanishaSharma »

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I'll re- record it by Sunday-Monday!
Appreciate it,
Tanisha Sharma
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TanishaSharma wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 8:59 am Thank you so much for the feedback!! I'll re- record it by Sunday-Monday!
Hi Tanisha,

I hope you know you don't need to re-record the whole piece. You just have to re-record the phrases or sentences that these words appear in and paste those in to replace the original. That way, Betsy doesn't have to listen to the whole section all over again. And re-recording doesn't guarantee there won't be new errors to correct next time.

If you're using Audacity, here's how you do it:

Listen to your recording until you get to the spot where the fix or replacement is needed. You can either listen to it all the way through (more time consuming) or use the magnifying glass to zoom in (see top row below: + to zoom in and – to zoom out) to reduce the length of the track so you can see more of it and go to the exact spot you need to work on (see the timestamp just above the wave form below to figure out where you are; when you're finished, you can use the - glass to zoom back out):

Put your cursor at the start of the section you want to replace (black line shows where your cursor is).

Then mute the main track (mute button is on the left side of your screen, next to the blue waveform).

Then press Shift on your keyboard and the round red Record button at the same time, let go of both and start speaking. This will start a recording on a new track below your existing one. Your new recording will likely have a bit of silence before it starts so it won’t line up exactly with the original.

Record until you’ve finished the new bit and press the square black Stop button. Listen to your new recording. If you’re happy with it, select the part you just read and press Ctrl-C to copy your new text. Mute the new track and paste your new recording over top of the original (by pressing Ctrl-P).

Your old and new recordings will be roughly the same length, so you’ll be able to see how much to copy over. When you’ve finished, put your cursor a bit earlier in your original recording, unmute it, and listen to it to see if you’re happy with it. If you are, you can delete the (now muted) new track (look for the x to the left of your track and click it to delete the new track).

If you do anything you later regret, you can always undo it by pressing Ctrl-Z.

I know you're using Linux, so your Audacity may look a bit different from this, but I hope it's helpful.

Let me know if you have questions about any of this.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 9:20 am
TanishaSharma wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 8:59 am Thank you so much for the feedback!! I'll re- record it by Sunday-Monday!
Hi Tanisha,

I hope you know you don't need to re-record the whole piece. You just have to re-record the phrases or sentences that these words appear in and paste those in to replace the original. That way, Betsy doesn't have to listen to the whole section all over again. And re-recording doesn't guarantee there won't be new errors to correct next time.et me know if you have questions about any of this.

Thanks,
Thank you for sharing this good advice! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

quartertone wrote: March 20th, 2024, 5:58 pm Here are my completed sections, uploaded, ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_02_morley_128kb.mp3
2-Scapegoats 7:38
Great read on section 2 - I'll get on with more in a bit - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred - fine job on section 3 - PL okay! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred - fine job on section 3 - PL okay! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe