[HUMOROUS ESSAYS] The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 4:27 pm I’d like to read Section 37, Maxims and Minims.
It's yours.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Thanks, W. In the meantime, I saw the Section Numbers and put a new front and back end on Section 27, Midsummer in Salamis.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_27_morley_128kb.mp3
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 4:53 pm Thanks, W. In the meantime, I saw the Section Numbers and put a new front and back end on Section 27, Midsummer in Salamis.

Thanks so much! Ready for PL (and correctly named).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

tshoes76 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 4:53 pm Thanks, W. In the meantime, I saw the Section Numbers and put a new front and back end on Section 27, Midsummer in Salamis.
Hi Tom -

Very nicely read. My only comments have to do with the length of pauses.

--The longest one is 54 seconds before you start. It should not be more than 1.5 seconds at the beginning.
--After that at 1:23 there is a 4 second pause between the chapter title and the text
--Then at 8:31 another 4 second pause between paragraphs

The two 4 second pauses are not really "wrong", but leave the listener wondering for just a bit. Perhaps our Admin will advise that no adjustments are needed for those.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BetsyWalker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 7:19 am
Hi Tom -

Very nicely read. My only comments have to do with the length of pauses.

--The longest one is 54 seconds before you start. It should not be more than 1.5 seconds at the beginning.
--After that at 1:23 there is a 4 second pause between the chapter title and the text
--Then at 8:31 another 4 second pause between paragraphs

The two 4 second pauses are not really "wrong", but leave the listener wondering for just a bit. Perhaps our Admin will advise that no adjustments are needed for those.

Betsy
Opening silence must be between 0.5 and 1 second (I believe 1 1/2 would be too long).

The general wisdom seems to be that silences between paragraphs shouldn't be more than 2 seconds, and even less within paragraphs. Fifty-four seconds is an awfully long time to wait for a story to start. Some listeners would assume there's something wrong with the recording and give up. Four seconds between paragraphs would also leave the listener wondering.

Just a nitpicky note about terminology. Flattered as I am to be called an admin, I'm not actually one. Yes, I'm the book coordinator (BC) on this project, but I'm merely another volunteer like you. Admins are a higher level of volunteer on Librivox and there's only a few of them. The admin here would be Ann (Icequeen) who is meta coordinator (MC) on this project, and she'd likely only weigh in if I didn't have an answer to your questions (or gave a wrong one :D ). But hey, you can call me whatever you'd like. As long as you know the truth... :lol:

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred wrote: April 14th, 2024, 11:05 am Opening silence must be between 0.5 and 1 second (I believe 1 1/2 would be too long).
The general wisdom seems to be that silences between paragraphs shouldn't be more than 2 seconds, and even less within paragraphs. Fifty-four seconds is an awfully long time to wait for a story to start. Some listeners would assume there's something wrong with the recording and give up. Four seconds between paragraphs would also leave the listener wondering.
Just a nitpicky note about terminology. Flattered as I am to be called an admin, I'm not actually one. Yes, I'm the book coordinator (BC) on this project, but I'm merely another volunteer like you. Admins are a higher level of volunteer on Librivox and there's only a few of them. The admin here would be Ann (Icequeen) who is meta coordinator (MC) on this project, and she'd likely only weigh in if I didn't have an answer to your questions (or gave a wrong one :D ). But hey, you can call me whatever you'd like. As long as you know the truth... :lol:
Cheers,
Thanks for this feedback, Winnifred! -Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred wrote: April 12th, 2024, 3:54 pm Section 24 is ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_24_morley_128kb.mp3 (4:25)
Cheers,
Well read - PL Okay :clap: :clap: - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Thanks to both of you. This is a lot of fun!

I don’t know if you wanted me to do this, but I went back to the recording and tightened up the long pauses you noted, as well as some others. I didn’t make any other changes; no new words or recordings.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_27_morley_128kb_v2.mp3
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Well, I read another one, Section 37, and tried to edit it to eliminate long silences. I think it may come from my stopping-and-starting technique, which needs work. I also am trying not to actually pause as long between chapters or topics. Anyway, here you go:

The length of this recording is 29:44.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_37_morley_128kb_v2.mp3
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 14th, 2024, 1:43 pm Thanks to both of you. This is a lot of fun!

I don’t know if you wanted me to do this, but I went back to the recording and tightened up the long pauses you noted, as well as some others. I didn’t make any other changes; no new words or recordings.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_27_morley_128kb_v2.mp3
Yes, it is fun, isn't it?

I believe that was the correction needed, so you're good. Please note that the file must be named exactly as set out in the first post and not changed, no matter how often you submit it (so it would be powderofsympathy_27_morley_128kb only; no "_v2" please).

This is now ready for spot PL. If there are any further changes needed, you can correct the file name when you reupload (if there aren't any, we'll ask our MC to fix that).

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 14th, 2024, 2:24 pm Well, I read another one, Section 37, and tried to edit it to eliminate long silences. I think it may come from my stopping-and-starting technique, which needs work. I also am trying not to actually pause as long between chapters or topics. Anyway, here you go:

Again, no _v2 in the name, please. The MCs have their own methods of differentiating between submissions, and there's no risk of overwriting your own earlier files accidentally (though if you give it the wrong number, you do risk overwriting someone else's file!)

Same deal as above for the file name.

On the stopping-and-starting, there's nothing wrong with letting your recording just run on and on while you try multiple versions of the same sentences/phrases/words, then just delete the ones you don't like in editing. That's how most of us work, I believe. It's better to let the recording continue no matter what's going on, if you can, as room noise can change significantly if you stop recording and then restart. And no harm in stopping for extended periods of time whenever you like (for throat clearing, a drink, to allow a noise to pass by, etc.) provided you remember to trim it in editing.

Ready for PL!

Perhaps you'd like to claim another section?

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Good guidance! Other than the “v2,” was the file naming correct? I think it was … but …

I’d like to claim Section 28, The Story of Ginger Cubes …
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 14th, 2024, 6:45 pm Good guidance! Other than the “v2,” was the file naming correct? I think it was … but …

I’d like to claim Section 28, The Story of Ginger Cubes …
Yes, that was the only thing. Filename is otherwise just fine.

And you have Section 28, thanks!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

tshoes76 wrote: April 14th, 2024, 2:24 pm Well, I read another one, Section 37, and tried to edit it to eliminate long silences. I think it may come from my stopping-and-starting technique, which needs work. I also am trying not to actually pause as long between chapters or topics. Anyway, here you go:
MY ERROR HERE. THIS COMMENT BELOW DOES NOT APPLY TO SECTION 37, BUT TO THE EARLIER ONE WITH THE LONG PAUSES. SORRY.

Good pause fixes. I only checked the ones I mentioned as I didn't have time to re-listen to it all. But I'm sure it's good now. - Betsy
Last edited by BetsyWalker on April 15th, 2024, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betsy in Santa Fe
ecase25

Post by ecase25 »

May I claim section 40: Intellectuals and Roughnecks?