[HUMOROUS ESSAYS] The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

tshoes76 wrote: April 14th, 2024, 2:24 pm Well, I read another one, Section 37, and tried to edit it to eliminate long silences. I think it may come from my stopping-and-starting technique, which needs work. I also am trying not to actually pause as long between chapters or topics. Anyway, here you go:
The length of this recording is 29:44.
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_37_morley_128kb_v2.mp3
This begins at the wrong place in the text, the 2nd paragraph of “An Unfair Advantage”. Please adjust and resubmit. Thanks! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ecase25 wrote: April 15th, 2024, 7:40 am May I claim section 40: Intellectuals and Roughnecks?
Yes, you may. Check out the first post in this project to find out what you need to know about how to name the file, how much silence is needed at the start and end of your recording, and what you need to say in your intro and conclusion.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

I clicked on “Listen” for Section 37, Maxims and Minims, and it seems to start half-way through the piece. I think I may have sent you a truncated file. I have the entire file still on my computer, though I would have to go back and fix the long pauses. Before I do anything further, would you see if the file on your server starts at the beginning? I believe the entire piece runs about 45 minutes, and the file I opened from the forum page is only about half that. Thanks, and sorry for the bother.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 15th, 2024, 3:34 pm I clicked on “Listen” for Section 37, Maxims and Minims, and it seems to start half-way through the piece. I think I may have sent you a truncated file. I have the entire file still on my computer, though I would have to go back and fix the long pauses. Before I do anything further, would you see if the file on your server starts at the beginning? I believe the entire piece runs about 45 minutes, and the file I opened from the forum page is only about half that. Thanks, and sorry for the bother.
Looks like you uploaded two files within an hour yesterday, at 4:17 and 5:23 pm:

At 4:17: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_37_morley_128kb.mp3 (55:58)

and

at 5:23: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_37_morley_128kb_v2.mp3 (29:44)

While you didn't post that first link in this thread, perhaps that was what you meant when you wrote "I read another one, Section 37, and tried to edit it to eliminate long silences"? So the first one would be the original (with long pauses) version (which you have on your computer), and the second does indeed look like it was truncated (it starts mid-sentence, with no intro). Since you have the entire file, probably best to go back and make your edits to that, then upload the shorter version. Make sure you save the corrected file before upload, and keep the file name the same (powderofsympathy_37_morley_128kb).

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
AlexaTindallVA

Post by AlexaTindallVA »

I would like to claim:

#26 July 8, 1822
#29 The Editor at the Ball Game
#36 The Return to Town
#38 Two Reviews
#39 Buddha on the L

Essentially, all the still-open chapters. If that is not possible, at the very least, I would like to claim #26.

Thank you!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

AlexaTindallVA wrote: April 15th, 2024, 4:52 pm I would like to claim:

#26 July 8, 1822
#36 The Return to Town
#38 Two Reviews
#39 Buddha on the L

Essentially, all the still-open chapters. If that is not possible, at the very least, I would like to claim #26.

Thank you!
Hi Alexa,

As these will be your first recordings for Librivox, I'm going to err on the side of caution and give you the first two only. Once you've completed those, you can come back and claim some more (provided they're still available). How does that sound?

I look forward to getting your recordings.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
SC1701

Post by SC1701 »

Could I have 36?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

SC1701 wrote: April 15th, 2024, 7:46 pm Could I have 36?
Yes, of course.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
AlexaTindallVA

Post by AlexaTindallVA »

Winnifred wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:08 pm
AlexaTindallVA wrote: April 15th, 2024, 4:52 pm I would like to claim:

#26 July 8, 1822
#36 The Return to Town
#38 Two Reviews
#39 Buddha on the L

Thank you!
Hi Alexa,

As these will be your first recordings for Librivox, I'm going to err on the side of caution and give you the first two only. Once you've completed those, you can come back and claim some more (provided they're still available). How does that sound?

I look forward to getting your recordings.

Cheers,
Thank you, and I'll have my parts in pretty soon :)
mazukl

Post by mazukl »

Hi there!

May I claim part 39 please?

Ta!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

mazukl wrote: April 16th, 2024, 8:24 am Hi there!

May I claim part 39 please?

Ta!
You’ve got it. Check out the first post for everything you need to know.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Thanks, W - you replied: "While you didn't post that first link in this thread, perhaps that was what you meant when you wrote "I read another one, Section 37, and tried to edit it to eliminate long silences"? So the first one would be the original (with long pauses) version (which you have on your computer), and the second does indeed look like it was truncated (it starts mid-sentence, with no intro). Since you have the entire file, probably best to go back and make your edits to that, then upload the shorter version. Make sure you save the corrected file before upload, and keep the file name the same (powderofsympathy_37_morley_128kb).”

I think you meant to say, go back and make edits to the entire file, then upload that version (not the shorter version). In other words, take the pauses out of the longer, complete file, and then upload that again, using the file name in your message.

Do I have this right?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 16th, 2024, 8:38 am Thanks, W - you replied: "While you didn't post that first link in this thread, perhaps that was what you meant when you wrote "I read another one, Section 37, and tried to edit it to eliminate long silences"? So the first one would be the original (with long pauses) version (which you have on your computer), and the second does indeed look like it was truncated (it starts mid-sentence, with no intro). Since you have the entire file, probably best to go back and make your edits to that, then upload the shorter version. Make sure you save the corrected file before upload, and keep the file name the same (powderofsympathy_37_morley_128kb).”

I think you meant to say, go back and make edits to the entire file, then upload that version (not the shorter version). In other words, take the pauses out of the longer, complete file, and then upload that again, using the file name in your message.

Do I have this right?
Sorry, that wasn't very clear, was it? Yes, you're right. What I meant by "shorter version" was a new, edited version of the entire file, not the truncated version that's up there now.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
AlexaTindallVA

Post by AlexaTindallVA »

Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Thanks, Alexa. Ready for PL!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: