[HUMOROUS ESSAYS] The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

Volunteers outside the USA: Christopher Morley died in 1957. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Another collection of mostly short “soliloquys” from Christopher Morley, an American literary luminary, who introduces them thus: “… these pieces were written, day by day, out of the pressure and hilarity and contention of the mind. I have made no attempt to conceal their ephemeral origin. They were almost all written for a newspaper, and contain many references to journalism. … it is remarkable that they should have been written at all: remarkable that any newspaper should take the pains to offer space to speculations of this sort. I have not scrupled, on occasion, to chaff some of the matters newspapers are supposed to hold sacred. …

But a columnist … is only a deboshed Editorial Writer, a fallen angel abjected from the secure heaven of anonymity. … unsuspecting whether intended by his scheming employer as a decoy, or a doormat, or a gargoyle, or a lightning rod (how is he to know, never having been given instruction of any sort except to go ahead and write as he pleases?) … [T]he columnist pursues his task and gradually distils a philosophy of his own out of his duties. Oddly enough, instead of growing more cautious by reason of his exposure, he becomes almost dangerously candid. He knows that if he is wrong he will be set right the next morning by a stack of letters varying in number according to the nature of his indiscretion. (Summary by Winnifred Assmann, with excerpts from the Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/67188

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim will be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: bdDw7mqW
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Morley (Christopher Morley)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 43
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1921
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: humor, dogs, New York, writing, journalism, literary reviews

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Powder of Sympathy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: powderofsympathy_##_morley_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. powderofsympathy_01_morley_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Winnifred on March 21st, 2024, 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ha! Just recorded a chapter from this for the Essay coffee book collection!
I thought of putting this up as a group project, but decided to pass, having done some of his other collections of essays. One wonders if Morley can put two serious sentences together. :roll: :lol:

Excellent choice!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

silverquill wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:27 pm Ha! Just recorded a chapter from this for the Essay coffee book collection!
I thought of putting this up as a group project, but decided to pass, having done some of his other collections of essays. One wonders if Morley can put two serious sentences together. :roll: :lol:

Excellent choice!
Thanks, though to be honest, it was actually your piece in the essays collection that put me on to it! I BC’d the second version of Plum Pudding a while back and enjoyed it, plus it seemed to fill up really fast. I see now that you BC’d the first version. I was surprised to find this one hadn’t been done yet.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you, Winnifred! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready! We will wait here a day or so to see if we can pick up a DPL!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

icequeen wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:22 pm OK, your MW is ready! We will wait here a day or so to see if we can pick up a DPL!
Thanks, Ann. I’ll fill the MW later today.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

The Magic Window is now populated so we're ready for readers! And a DPL.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to Short Works!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

The first two sections are ready for you, our future DPL, whenever you appear.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_00_morley_128kb.mp3 (7:24)
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_03_morley_128kb.mp3 (6:12)

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi Winnifred,

May I claim section 12?

Thanks,
Stacey
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

StaceyM2022 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 10:51 pm Hi Winnifred,

May I claim section 12?

Thanks,
Stacey
Certainly!

Thanks, Stacey.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
TanishaSharma

Post by TanishaSharma »

Hi, may I claim chapter 1 :An oxford symbol??
Appreciate it,
Tanisha Sharma
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Howdy from Texas!

I'd like to do

42 A Christmas Soliloquy 3,397 words Open

And I might get it done by Christmas......
Bill

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
~Dr. Seuss
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TanishaSharma wrote: March 18th, 2024, 11:31 am Hi, may I claim chapter 1 :An oxford symbol??
Welcome to Librivox, Tanisha!

Before I assign you a section, please make and submit a 1-minute test recording (1-minute test info) to make sure your recording set up is ok. Post your test in the Forum appropriately named Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here and an experienced LVer will review it and provide feedback (and/or approve it).

This isn’t an audition, but just to make sure your technical specifications match those required by Librivox. (If you use Audacity, see Audacity 3.4.2 user? How to pass this test for information about those specs with screenshots.) It would be a shame to record a section then have to redo it because some basic setting is incorrect.

Once your test is approved, head back here and claim your section. I'll tentatively reserve section 1 for you, pending that approval, until April 2. When you return, please read the top of this thread carefully, as it contains all the instructions you'll need to submit your section.

I look forward to your first foray into reading for Librivox!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Bill Mosley wrote: March 18th, 2024, 1:17 pm Howdy from Texas!

I'd like to do

42 A Christmas Soliloquy 3,397 words Open

And I might get it done by Christmas......
Howdy, Bill!

You've got it til May 18! :lol: (We celebrate early.)

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: