~[FULL: PLAY] Strange Interlude by Eugene O'Neill - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Strange Interlude, by Eugene O'Neill (1888 - 1953)
Winner of the 1928 Pulitzer Prize, Strange Interlude is a Freudian melodrama that seeks to explore the vast, unfathomable murk of the human unconscious. To accomplish this goal, playwright Eugene O’Neill employed an experimental use of soliloquies, where characters reveal their unvarnished inner thoughts directly to the audience, unveiling the psychic turmoil that often lurks beneath the placid masks of polite society. Following its first exhibitions, Strange Interlude also became a lightning rod of controversy and censorship due to its frank portrayals of topics such as abortion, infidelity, sexual desire, and mental illness.

Set in the aftermath of World War I, the play follows the lives of several characters over the span of two decades. Our central character, Nina Leeds, is haunted by the recent death of her fiancé during the war. Her despair and despondency gradually turn into self-destructive impulses, as she indulges in a number of sordid affairs before tumbling into a loveless marriage. Thus begins a chain of events that will haunt the lives of all who fall within Nina’s orbit — friends, lovers, and family members alike. (Summary by ChuckW)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/strangeinterlude0000unse/page/n7/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Strange Interlude, by Eugene O'Neill. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Strange Interlude, by Eugene O'Neill."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: strangeinterlude_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. strangeinterlude_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: strangeinterlude_#_oneill_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. strangeinterlude_1_oneill_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ChuckW on March 21st, 2024, 9:05 am, edited 10 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Okay, so I've been trying to decide between launching one of two plays for the past couple of months... this one... and a light little comedy. But since this one will probably require a little more upfront work getting it into the catalogue, I figured I should probably try to launch it first. So my apologies to those who'd prefer recording something lighter and funnier. If this goes well, maybe I'll launch the other one a little earlier? :lol:

It's honestly a little bizarre how few Eugene O'Neill plays we currently have in the catalogue... so consider this an attempt to narrow that gap a little. And believe me, this is a big one. Here are a couple of caveats for folks thinking about signing up:

First of all, this is a long play. Nine acts in total with a lot of dialogue and inner monologuing. Also, despite being relatively tame by today's standards, this was a fairly controversial play at its time of publication. Please pick through the text of this play before volunteering, just to get a sense of what you're committing yourself to.

This play also uses soliloquies to reveal its characters' inner thoughts. These are often written in a stream-of-consciousness form. Thankfully, the version of the text we're reading from formats the dialogue and soliloquies differently, so it should be easy to pick out which is which when you're reading it.

Because of the amount of narration needed for this play, I've also divided narration responsibilities for both Part 1 and Part 2. If you'd like to do both, you're welcome to it... but that might be a pretty big commitment.

To get us moving along, I'll also take one of the male role. I'm leaning toward poor, unfortunate Sam Evans at the moment. For those who are curious, here's the cast list:

Charles Marsden, Act I
Charles Marsden, Act II
Charles Marsden, Act III
Charles Marsden, Act IV
Charles Marsden, Act V
Charles Marsden, Act VI
Charles Marsden, Act VII
Charles Marsden, Act VIII
Charles Marsden, Act IX
Professor Henry Leeds, Act I - claimed
Nina Leeds, Act I
Nina Leeds, Act II
Nina Leeds, Act III
Nina Leeds, Act IV
Nina Leeds, Act V
Nina Leeds, Act VI
Nina Leeds, Act VII
Nina Leeds, Act VIII
Nina Leeds, Act IX - claimed

Edmund Darrell, Act II
Edmund Darrell, Act IV
Edmund Darrell, Act V
Edmund Darrell, Act VI
Edmund Darrell, Act VII
Edmund Darrell, Act VIII
Edmund Darrell, Act IX - claimed

Sam Evans, Act II
Sam Evans, Act III
Sam Evans, Act IV
Sam Evans, Act V
Sam Evans, Act VI
Sam Evans, Act VII
Sam Evans, Act VIII - claimed by me - but if anyone is super passionate about this one, let me know and I'll let you have it

Mrs. Amos Evans, Act III
Madeline Arnold, Act VIII
Madeline Arnold, Act IX
Gordon Evans (aged 11), Act VII
Gordon Evans (as an adult), Act IX
Stage Directions (First Part), Act I
Stage Directions (First Part), Act II
Stage Directions (First Part), Act III
Stage Directions (First Part), Act IV
Stage Directions (First Part), Act V
Stage Directions (Second Part), Act VI
Stage Directions (Second Part), Act VII
Stage Directions (Second Part), Act VIII
Stage Directions (Second Part), Act IX
Last edited by ChuckW on March 12th, 2024, 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hi Chuck,

After having perused the text for a bit, I do think this is something up my alley, and also my plate of claims right now is light enough that I think I can take on one of the roles here. If I can try Dr. Edmund Darrell, I'd be glad to come onboard. :)
Tomas Peter
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

WiltedScribe wrote: March 12th, 2024, 7:37 pm Hi Chuck,

After having perused the text for a bit, I do think this is something up my alley, and also my plate of claims right now is light enough that I think I can take on one of the roles here. If I can try Dr. Edmund Darrell, I'd be glad to come onboard. :)
Of course! That would be excellent! Happy to have you, as always! :-)
PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Wow! I'm actually trying to reduce my commitments to concentrate on getting some solo work in, so I won't be jumping on narration or a major role. But, I would like to tackle Professor Henry Leeds -- actually a challenging character, if I may.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

silverquill wrote: March 12th, 2024, 9:39 pm Wow! I'm actually trying to reduce my commitments to concentrate on getting some solo work in, so I won't be jumping on narration or a major role. But, I would like to tackle Professor Henry Leeds -- actually a challenging character, if I may.
Ooooo, I think you'd be perfect for that! Thank you! And please: take all the time you need as you work on your solos!
PROJECTS
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

So very tempted to take on the challenge of Nina…

May I give into that temptation and claim her?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

jennlea wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:07 pm So very tempted to take on the challenge of Nina…

May I give into that temptation and claim her?
By all means, let the temptation take over! :clap:

And if it helps, you're welcome to take all the time you need. Happy to flex around your schedule.
PROJECTS
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hello, troupe!
We don't usually take Gutenberg Australia as a source - since all editions are Public Domain for them right now, they're free to mix in later editions that are still copyrighted for us in the USA.

However, Todd found an alternate script here:
https://archive.org/details/strangeinterlude0000unse/page/n7/mode/2up

Chuck, would you be able to use that one instead?
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

redrun wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:21 am Hello, troupe!
We don't usually take Gutenberg Australia as a source - since all editions are Public Domain for them right now, they're free to mix in later editions that are still copyrighted for us in the USA.

However, Todd found an alternate script here:
https://archive.org/details/strangeinterlude0000unse/page/n7/mode/2up

Chuck, would you be able to use that one instead?
That’s fine by me! Although if the US Gutenberg ever publishes a version of this, I might switch them to that. Thanks all!
PROJECTS
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright, then, let's get set up! Back shortly with your Magic Window.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

redrun wrote: March 13th, 2024, 10:35 am Alright, then, let's get set up! Back shortly with your Magic Window.
Thank you!
PROJECTS
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Here we are. :thumbs:
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

redrun wrote: March 13th, 2024, 10:57 am Here we are. :thumbs:
MW is up and running. We're in business!
PROJECTS
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright! We'll wait here for a bit to see if someone volunteers for PL, and then I'll move us over to Dramatic Works!