Congressional Research Service

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

https://crsreports.congress.gov/search/#/?termsToSearch=&orderBy=Date

I discovered this easy portal to see all recent reports from the Congressional Research Service. They are all in the public domain because they are written and published by the U.S. government (each document also has a handy disclaimer at the end telling the reader that the document is in the public domain).

The reports cover all manner of things like U.S. law, recent events, international politics, the economy, etc. If you narrow the search criteria to "Posts" and/or "Resources" using the panel on the left-hand side, the results are all pretty short articles. Narrowing by "Reports" gives you much longer articles.

"Posts" and "Resources" would work well for our Short Nonfiction Collection. You could also choose some related articles and put them together in one collection.

Many of the "Reports" might be long enough to be solo projects.

Happy reading! :D
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Can these only be read by American people? I gather that there are some American government documents that are "limited public domain". That is: outside of the US the public domain ends.
Or have I misunderstood this completely?
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

lightcrystal wrote: March 17th, 2024, 10:40 am Can these only be read by American people? I gather that there are some American government documents that are "limited public domain". That is: outside of the US the public domain ends.
Or have I misunderstood this completely?
I know they are PD in the U.S., but I don't know about elsewhere. You would have to check with your country's copyright laws
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919