[FULL] Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The Tragedy of Titus Andronicus (version 2), by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)
Perhaps no play in William Shakespeare's body of work is more divisive than his first tragedy <i>Titus Andronicus</i>, wherein the titular Roman general, freshly arrived back home after a decade-long crusade against the Goths, refuses to ascend to the emperorship and quickly sets off a bloody campaign of vengeance when he orders the death of the eldest son of Tamora, Queen of the Goths, to avenge the deaths of his own sons during the war. Violence gives way to more violence as more and more bodies are maimed, violated and dismembered in an agonizing symphony of bloodlust and retribution for the sins of both Titus and Tamora, with Shakespeare capitalizing on the success of other practitioners of the revenge tragedy in his time, such as Thomas Kyd and Christopher Marlowe, to deliver a gruesome spectacle that has simultaneously fascinated and repulsed audiences ever since. Whether you take Shakespeare's aims here to be sincere or parodic, and whether you side with critics like T.S. Eliot (who called it "one of the stupidest and most uninspired plays ever written") or artists like Julie Taymor (who directed the 1999 film adaptation with Anthony Hopkins and who has called the play the most "relevant of Shakespeare's plays for the modern era"), it cannot be denied that <i>Titus Andronicus</i> evokes the kinds of visceral and complicated responses that only a play from an ingenious mind can produce.<br><br>And to perform it all? Three men (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/11305">Craig Franklin</a>, <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10789">Tomas Peter</a>, and <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/9905">Brad “Hamlet” Filippone</a>) and three women (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10179">Sonia</a>, <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/13140">Jenn Broda</a>, and <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/13852">Kelly S. Taylor</a>), determined to give you a performance of this controversial work that you will never forget. You thought you knew your Shakespeare? Well, think again! (Summary by Tomas Peter)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1507

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Tragedy of Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of the final scene in each act, say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Tragedy of Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: titusandronicus_role_#_#.mp3 where the first # is the act number and the second # is the scene number. (e.g. titusandronicus_tamora_1_1.mp3)
For final files: titusandronicus_#_shakespeare_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. titusandronicus_1_shakespeare_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Tomas Peter
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

I'm in.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I’m here! Looking forward to this :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Is this really full before it is launched?
If so, is this a change to LibriVox policy? :hmm: :hmm:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

silverquill wrote: March 11th, 2024, 12:25 pm Is this really full before it is launched?
If so, is this a change to LibriVox policy? :hmm: :hmm:
No, there has been no change! It's merely that the readers and roles have been already prearranged, as with the other projects in this "series" (as I call it). I mark it as full straight away to indicate that everything is already accounted for and this will be moved to Readers Found as soon as the MW is set up. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I should be perfectly clear that the linked post (where I offered a 3-day "reservation" rather than a full pre-claim) was definitely not an official LV policy stance - it was my own way of squaring the "we don't do auditions" policy with "I have folks who have already put a lot of time and effort into this ongoing series."
For the next book, I will be going back to purely first-come, first-served, just like the first book we launched was. Nobody told me I had to, I just felt it was the right thing for me to do going forward. I don't have an "official" opinion to venture, here.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Reporting in as Marcus Andronicus (and others). Just about the only sane person in the show. lol (Well, Lucius is sane too)

Brad
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Hamlet wrote: March 11th, 2024, 1:12 pm Reporting in as Marcus Andronicus (and others). Just about the only sane person in the show. lol (Well, Lucius is sane too)

Brad
:lol:
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Sometimes a group of readers will wish to undertake a project of their own and work collaboratively together to accomplish it and divide the responsibilities amongst themselves and I believe that's always been fine. While most projects are open for all readers to claim parts in, from time to time there are small and contained coordinated projects, be they "duets" between two readers of a poetry anthology or fictional work or small-cast Shakespeares like this, which is an informal series I've run for about 7 years now and was actually started by a former member named Tony Addison before he passed on the reins to me. Sonia/Kitty has also been my MC since she received administrative privileges and has always been careful to enforce LibriVox's policies, and if she had any issues with contained projects like this, she would have said so. But as far as I know, projects like this are allowed and someone would have informed me otherwise during the last 7 or so years if they were not. They are also, to my knowledge, done fairly infrequently to begin with, and almost everything launched here remains opens for all. If others wish to band together to record something of their own for fun, I think that's great and the finished product would add something exciting and diverse to our collection of completed works. But I'm just saying that this particular series is not new and that 15 plays have already been recorded in this format, and we're just trying to chug along in our love for Shakespeare and record even more. :)
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm moving this right off the launch pad into Readers found, so there is no more misunderstanding.

MW will follow so you can start filling it in while I am in snooze-land :lol:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ready to go :)

and yes Tomas, I also see this as an arrangement like the duets or trios that have been done so often already. Only in our case it's a group of 6 :)

Back in the good old days it actually started as a trio, Tony, John and me :shock: how on earth we did our first Midsummer Night's Dream with such a small cast was quite interesting :lol:

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

WiltedScribe wrote: March 11th, 2024, 1:14 pm Sometimes a group of readers will wish to undertake a project of their own and work collaboratively together to accomplish it and divide the responsibilities amongst themselves and I believe that's always been fine. While most projects are open for all readers to claim parts in, from time to time there are small and contained coordinated projects, be they "duets" between two readers of a poetry anthology or fictional work or small-cast Shakespeares like this, which is an informal series I've run for about 7 years now and was actually started by a former member named Tony Addison before he passed on the reins to me. Sonia/Kitty has also been my MC since she received administrative privileges and has always been careful to enforce LibriVox's policies, and if she had any issues with contained projects like this, she would have said so. But as far as I know, projects like this are allowed and someone would have informed me otherwise during the last 7 or so years if they were not. They are also, to my knowledge, done fairly infrequently to begin with, and almost everything launched here remains opens for all. If others wish to band together to record something of their own for fun, I think that's great and the finished product would add something exciting and diverse to our collection of completed works. But I'm just saying that this particular series is not new and that 15 plays have already been recorded in this format, and we're just trying to chug along in our love for Shakespeare and record even more. :)
Ah, I see!

I think the LV policy is ambiguously stated, or, really not stated at all, as far as I can determine in any "official" wiki or other document. What is considered "LibriVoxy" seems to differ from person to person. I see pre-cast, or partly pre-cast projects more frequently now. There have been some ongoing DR series where readers will reprise their characters from book to book. I think what you are doing is fantastic, and good for LV. Having a bit more control over casts helps ensure a higher quality of end result.

I applaud the efforts of you all. :clap: :9:
~ Larry
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Reporting in!

I watched the Anthony Hopkins version of "Titus" last week. It was... interesting... Not a great dinner date movie...
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I watched it when we first found out this would our next play and LOVED it!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings