[SOLO] Abraham Lincoln: The Practical Mystic by Francis Grierson - rr

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
vviera

Post by vviera »

haelen wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 6:36 am
vviera wrote: March 11th, 2024, 1:51 pm Hi there, reporting as DPL as promised.
Thanks so much Verla,

I had forgotten to set notifications for ths project, and completely forgot!

Hope you had a good break.

Cheers,
Tim
No problem. I get home today and am backed up on PL, but will get to them in the next few days.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hey Tim, I see you've got more in the MW!
One more step that's easy to forget: change the 'Status' column on the right from 'Assigned' to 'Ready for PL'.
When Verla does the proof listening, she'll set it to 'See PL Notes' or 'PL OK'.
Posting whenever you add a file or change its status will provide record, and also make sure everyone is notified as needed. :thumbs:
vviera

Post by vviera »

I haven't started to PL yet, but I just got in and saw how short these are. If it were me, I would include several in one section because it can be tiring to the listener to have it broken up and have to listen to the disclaimer every couple of minutes. Possibly a section length of 6-10 minutes. It would take some editing to put them together. Let me know if you'd like to do that or if I should PL as is.

Cheers, VERLA
haelen

Post by haelen »

I see what you mean, Verla. I'll do some editing today. So If I say for example, "Section 1-6" at the beginning and, "End of sections 1-6" at the end, would that be OK?
"Seek No Vain Conclusions"
vviera

Post by vviera »

haelen wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 10:06 pm I see what you mean, Verla. I'll do some editing today. So If I say for example, "Section 1-6" at the beginning and, "End of sections 1-6" at the end, would that be OK?
No, section 1 is section 1. You need to rename the sections.
So, for example, your MW would say:
Section 1 The Practical Mysticism of Abraham Lincoln; The Divine Will; The Mystical Awakening
Section 2 The Agnostic and The Mystic; The Logic of the Supernatural; The Mystical Mood (etc., however many you decide to put in each one--my 6 to 10 min. was just a suggestion.)

Then as you record, just pause and say the next essay title before the following one.

So at the end of your intros, say just the first essay title. Then read essay, pause, next title.

You can see I did this as BC on sections 1, 2 and 11 in this project.

Yours is a fairly short book, but nothing says anything has to have a certain number of sections. However many you decide works. I've PLed sci-fi projects that were sort of novellas that only had 5 sections.

This would take more editing because you'd need to change intros, paste things together, and insert essay titles within the recordings. I wish I had caught this before you did so many! That's why I asked if you wanted to do it or leave it as is.

Hope that's clear. Let me know what you think.

Cheers, VERLA
haelen

Post by haelen »

That OK Verla, it's only slightly laborious to remove the intros and create new ones. ;)

Fortunately I have quite a few - at least 10 which are just the chapter with its title stated at the beginning.

Best Wishes,
Tim
haelen

Post by haelen »

Hi!

As you'll see from my exchanges with Verla, the Magic Window might need editing. :(

If I combine sections into one recording (say 6 per recording) I / we will need to recalculate the number of sections in the "sections" column, will we not?

Cheers,
Tim
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Yes, we would end up with fewer total sections in that case. If you leave the now-extra sections blank by the end of the project, I can clear them out simply enough then. :mrgreen:
haelen

Post by haelen »

Hi,

I've now re-ordered and edited all the sections and can join them together in small groups.

Can you clear the previous uploads from the magic window?

Thanks,
Tim
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

haelen wrote: April 29th, 2024, 6:54 am I've now re-ordered and edited all the sections and can join them together in small groups.

Can you clear the previous uploads from the magic window?
I want to be extra sure I don't delete more than you intended, because I cannot un-delete once that's done. I'll have you either:
A) drag the sections you want deleted all the way to the bottom of the MW
or
B) replace their details with those of your newly combined sections. Any that are extra can be moved to the bottom, or you can 'empty out' their details, just like the sections where nothing has been entered.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Also, if by "uploads," you mean the previous recordings, you don't have to do anything about those. They don't need to be deleted. Whenever you upload your newly edited files with 01, 02, etc., URLs, they will replace the previous recordings. (They actually all stay in the system, but the system knows which one is most current.)

Then rename the "Title" field with the names of (the now multiple) essays in that section.

redrun's message refers to deleting the extra section lines that will result from you having reduced the number of sections. I'd suggest you just replace the content in the MW. Then when the project is through, redrun can delete however many are left.

Hope this is clear. It's kind of hard to explain in words.

Cheers, VERLA
haelen

Post by haelen »

Hi,

I've upload a new "01" which contains 4 sections. Would you check it please? Does the title need to be different to the one I'ven ow given it?

Best,
Tim
vviera

Post by vviera »

haelen wrote: April 30th, 2024, 3:56 am Hi,

I've upload a new "01" which contains 4 sections. Would you check it please? Does the title need to be different to the one I'ven ow given it?

Best,
Tim
Doing this first thing in the morning (7:30 a.m. here!) so you can get feedback across the pond before the day is gone there :D

As always, your reading is beautiful. So enjoyable to listen to.

Your “Title” column in the MW should read
The Practical Mysticism of Abraham Lincoln; The Divine Will; The Mystical Awakening; The Agnostic and the Mystic

Beginning silence is a bit long at 1.25 seconds. Please snip off a tad to get to .5-1 second.

11:59 You skipped the second paragraph of “The Agnostic and the Mystic” starting “Lincoln was more or less influenced…”

Missing “End of Section 1” to close.

Cheers, VERLA
haelen

Post by haelen »

Oh,thank you Verla! And thanks for your precise guidance. I get confused at times. ;)

Do you drink coffee first thing, or is that a kind of, "Is the Pope a Catholic?" question. ;)
vviera

Post by vviera »

a
haelen wrote: April 30th, 2024, 6:37 am Oh,thank you Verla! And thanks for your precise guidance. I get confused at times. ;)

Do you drink coffee first thing, or is that a kind of, "Is the Pope a Catholic?" question. ;)
Assam tea :D I like it very hot, with milk and sugar.

I love it when I go to Europe and you can get good tea anywhere. It's clearly an afterthought here in any restaurant, and the quality of tea bags is crappy. I can get good Assam at a shop here that sells loose teas. Otherwise, I order tea bags from Britain. :lol:

Cheers, VERLA