[SOLO] Lavengro: The Scholar, The Gypsy, The Priest, by George Borrow-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Hello Peter, section 0 is fine. You uploaded it also as Section 1 :shock:

I subscribed the topic but I’m not seeing anything yet on the PL view. Maybe it needs to be activated? I’ll send you a screenshot by WhatsApp so you know what I’m talking about. :)
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

And I can’t access the Magic Window :hmm:
==========
Susanne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If your name does not appear in the MW then you aren't in the system. And you need to tell the MC.
In the general discussion, I missed you having offered to be the DPL but you are in the database now and can access things.

Anne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

annise wrote: March 11th, 2024, 3:31 am We are all aboard so off to going solo. I was PLing the on-hold version when real life struck the reader so it will be interesting to read both of your comments.

Anne
Hi Anne,
I don't normally look at the Reader PL view for a reader — to be honest, I didn't even know it existed until a few minutes ago — but I've just looked at that view for Sunrise2020, whom I asked to have as DPL for this project, and that View doesn't appear to 'know' anything about her assignment to this project. Is that anomalous? If so, can you please assign her as DPL for this project (or, if protocol dictates, first check with her that she's happy to perform this role)? For what it's worth, I happen to know that she is because we communicate via WhatsApp, but I appreciate there may be no record inside librivox.org that she has agreed to undertake this role on this project as yet.
With thanks,
Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

see post above yours :D
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

annise wrote: March 11th, 2024, 5:38 pm see post above yours :D
My apology, Anne!
I failed to notice any of that before now.
All good!
Peter
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

:D Thank you! All sorted
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Sections 1 and 2 are fine. This promises to be an interesting tale.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lavengro_003_borrow_128kb.mp3 (21:46)

George Borrow was born in Dereham, in Norfolk. This is also the birthplace of the poet William Cowper (whose work I personally know only through some of his hymns).

Wiki:

William Cowper26 November 1731 – 25 April 1800[a]) was an English poet and Anglican hymnwriter.

One of the most popular poets of his time, Cowper changed the direction of 18th-century nature poetry by writing of everyday life and scenes of the English countryside. In many ways, he was one of the forerunners of Romantic poetry. Samuel Taylor Coleridge called him "the best modern poet", whilst William Wordsworth particularly admired his poem "Yardley-Oak".

After being institutionalised for insanity, Cowper found refuge in a fervent evangelical Christianity. He continued to suffer doubt about his salvation and, after a dream in 1773, believed that he was doomed to eternal damnation. He recovered, and went on to write more religious hymns.

His religious sentiment and association with John Newton (who wrote the hymn "Amazing Grace") led to much of the poetry for which he is best remembered, and to the series of Olney Hymns. His poem "Light Shining out of Darkness" gave English the phrase: "God moves in a mysterious way/ His wonders to perform."

He also wrote a number of anti-slavery poems, and his friendship with Newton, who was an avid anti-slavery campaigner, resulted in Cowper's being asked to write in support of the Abolitionist campaign. Cowper wrote a poem called "The Negro's Complaint" (1788) which rapidly became very famous, and was often quoted by Martin Luther King Jr. during the 20th-century civil rights movement. He also wrote several other less well-known poems on slavery in the 1780s, many of which attacked the idea that slavery was economically viable.

Daniel Defoe, of course, wrote Robinson Crusoe, the book referred to in some detail in this chapter.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Thank you for providing historical content!
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 5: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lavengro_005_borrow_128kb.mp3 (20:57)

On several occasions in this section, a man describes the boy narrator as being "fly". By this, the man means that he regards the boy as shrewd, smart, and not easily duped. It's a rather old meaning of the word, not one found in current usage.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

PL of section 3 is okay.
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Peter, it sounds as if you’re really enjoying this book!

PL of section 4 is okay.
==========
Susanne