~SOLO Selected Works by John Graham Brooks - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
brandonbrinkley

Post by brandonbrinkley »

Selected Works by John Graham Brooks, by John Graham Brooks (1846 - 1938)
I have selected twelve works by American sociologist John Graham Brooks, most of which are articles published in journals between 1892 and 1914. All twelve are sourced from Archive.org and according to this link, all of his work is now in the public domain: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:John_Graham_Brooks. The titles are:

Old Age Pensions in England - 1892
The Unemployed in German Cities - 1893
Philosophy and Political Economy - 1893
The Future Problem of Charity and the Unemployed - 1894
The Papal Encyclical Upon the Labor Question - 1894
The Pope and the Encyclical on Labor - 1895
The Social Question in the Catholic Congresses - 1896
Insurance of the Unemployed - 1896
The Label of the Consumers League - 1900
The Issue between the Open and Closed Shop - 1905
The conflict between private monopoly and good citizenship - 1909
The Problem of Syndicalism - 1914

After spot checking a few, it appears that most of the works listed above are less than 2000 words each, except two coming in at about 5200 and 6400. He wrote several full-length books, each having several hundred pages, that would be suitable for future projects. (Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): various

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Selected Works by John Graham Brooks. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Selected Works by John Graham Brooks, by John Graham Brooks. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Selected Works by John Graham Brooks, by John Graham Brooks. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Selected Works by John Graham Brooks, by John Graham Brooks."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: selectedworks_##_brooks_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. selectedworks_01_brooks_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by brandonbrinkley on March 4th, 2024, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The server error is because he is a new author and needs to be added to the author database. I've added him so you shouldn't get the server error now.
Jo
brandonbrinkley

I do see author in the list, but still get the error. I made sure I was logged in and tried filling the form in a new browser window. When I hit the back button after the error, the author's last name isn't populated, which is the same behavior I observed before. So, try again later today?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Here are a couple more things to check when you try again: viewtopic.php?t=99510
namely, special characters and number fields
brandonbrinkley

Ok, it was the parentheses. I have replaced the first message above with the text from the generator.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've set this up. I shortened your file name a little bit to make it less unwieldy.

Now you've got some homework to do. :)

Instructions for accessing the Magic Window are found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
I recommend setting your password the same as your forum login; that way you don't have to remember two separate ones. And once you've got that set up, use your personal login any time you log in to upload a file. You won't need to use the generic login ever again. :)

I've set up the first section as an example. Since these are separate text links, you'll also need to enter the text link into the metadata. (This info is in that wiki page, too, under "Special Instructions for Collections – Entering Section Metadata".) Do not enter the author or language; all we need in each section is the text source.

Holler if you have questions!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, and one more thing: The intro/summary you provided sounds more like an intro to this as a solo project. Before cataloging, you'll want to update that to something more suited to the listener - similar to what would be on the back of a book, to interest the potential listener. :) You can wait for that if you want, as long as it's ready for cataloging. You can post it as a reply/post in the thread.
brandonbrinkley

TriciaG wrote: March 7th, 2024, 9:32 am I've set this up. I shortened your file name a little bit to make it less unwieldy.

Now you've got some homework to do. :)

Instructions for accessing the Magic Window are found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
I recommend setting your password the same as your forum login; that way you don't have to remember two separate ones. And once you've got that set up, use your personal login any time you log in to upload a file. You won't need to use the generic login ever again. :)

I've set up the first section as an example. Since these are separate text links, you'll also need to enter the text link into the metadata. (This info is in that wiki page, too, under "Special Instructions for Collections – Entering Section Metadata".) Do not enter the author or language; all we need in each section is the text source.

Holler if you have questions!
Awesome! Thanks! I took notes on the selections as I was preparing for this posting, so I have all of the source links.
brandonbrinkley

TriciaG wrote: March 7th, 2024, 9:34 am Oh, and one more thing: The intro/summary you provided sounds more like an intro to this as a solo project. Before cataloging, you'll want to update that to something more suited to the listener - similar to what would be on the back of a book, to interest the potential listener. :) You can wait for that if you want, as long as it's ready for cataloging. You can post it as a reply/post in the thread.
That reminds me, there was a question on the form that asked about introductory material. It might be useful to include a bit of biographical information for context, as I don't think the fellow is very well known nowadays. I don't think I've heard such an introduction on the LV books I've listened to. Do you happen to have any examples where someone has done this? And would it come from some other PD source or for this purpose is a custom script allowed?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Usually any introductory material is found in the book being recorded - prefaces, dedications, introductions by the translator or some other authority. Since this is a compilation from different sources, you could include a biography from a PD source, similar to your individual sections all being PD material. If one cannot find something like that that is PD, the best place for such information is in the written intro/summary that's on the catalog page.
brandonbrinkley

Ok, I have added the rest of the section titles, added the source text links to the metadata, and added notes (year published, placeholder for the word count, and link to source text for easy clicking in the MW).

I've already scraped a few of the texts, but I need to proof read for copy/paste anomalies before I can get accurate word counts.

Regarding intro material, I will see if any of the sources have biographical info, but if not, I will just update the description in the post as recommended.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Magic Window looks good!

You don't need word counts on a solo project, unless you really want them for yourself. They're more for group projects, when people need to have an idea how long a section is before they claim it.

Do you want the year to be visible in the finished project? The notes sections don't transfer over to the finished catalog page. Perhaps you would like to put the year info in the section title instead. :hmm: I'd suggest in parentheses:

Old Age Pensions in England (c. 1892)

100% your choice whether or not to show it. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Going Solo. :) Once you get a section or two up, we can think of advertising for a DPL, if one hasn't come along.
brandonbrinkley

TriciaG wrote: March 9th, 2024, 7:48 am Magic Window looks good!

You don't need word counts on a solo project, unless you really want them for yourself. They're more for group projects, when people need to have an idea how long a section is before they claim it.

Do you want the year to be visible in the finished project? The notes sections don't transfer over to the finished catalog page. Perhaps you would like to put the year info in the section title instead. :hmm: I'd suggest in parentheses:

Old Age Pensions in England (c. 1892)

100% your choice whether or not to show it. :)
The word count is easy to get and I am interested in knowing it, as I am gathering metrics on how long my recordings are in comparison, not to mention edit time. I want to get better at estimating so when I do take on more recordings, I have a better idea about how long it will take me.

Good point on the years. I'll revisit that when I rewrite the description.
brandonbrinkley

Quick update. I was on a road trip last week for Spring Break. I started prepping my scripts for the first two selections today.

I have two questions. First, at least one of the works (Old Age Pensions in England, p. 421 in the source) has a table of figures, essentially a header row and three data rows. These are simple monetary amounts. I was going to read is as follows:

Weekly Wage: 6 shillings to 11 shillings 11 pence
Paid by Laborer: 1 pence
Paid by Employer: 1 pence
Paid by State: 4 pence
Weekly Pension: 5 shillings

Weekly Wage: 12 shillings to 17 shillings 11 pence
Paid by Laborer: 2 pence
Paid by Employer: 2 pence
Weekly Pension: 7 shillings

Weekly Wage: 18 shillings and more
Paid by Laborer: 4 pence
Paid by Employer: 4 pence
Weekly Pension: 10 shillings

Is this acceptible?

The second question is that the second selection (The Unemployed in German Cities) has a lengthy footnote. It doesn't seem right to insert it where the '*' is in the text (midentence), so I could move it to the end of the sentence, end of the paragraph, or (my least favorite option) even to the end of the selection altogether (since there is only one). What do you think sounds like the best option?

Thanks!