Hi, got a question about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

Hi.
I love the series The Chalet School by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer. But I'm not sure if the series is in the public domain. I was considering reading a solo for one of the books in the series, but it's only a thought. Does anyone know if the series is in the public domain?

Thanks,
~All the best,
Joy~

I'm not just joyful, I'm jolly!<3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The Chalet School is a series of 58 school story novels by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer, initially published between 1925 and 1970.
(Wikipedia)

Books published more than 95 full calendar years ago are automatically public domain in the US and can be recorded for LibriVox. So any published in 1928 or earlier are recordable here in 2024.

(There are some newer works that are PD because their copyright wasn't renewed. To be able to record those, they must be fully viewable and classified as "PD in the USA" at hathitrust.org or have copyright clearance approval at gutenberg.org.)

Out of my usual online text sources, only this one looks acceptable to record: https://archive.org/details/headgirlofchalet0000elin/page/n5/mode/2up

Here's our text policy: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh - and depending on where you're located, it might not be PD for you. If you're in Europe or Australia, the author is still under copyright (she died in 1969). She's PD in Canada.

For those of us outside the US, we need to follow two sets of rules to record for LibriVox: US rules because that's what LV follows, and our own country's rules. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

It looks like the first four Chalet books published 1925 to 1928 would be PD in the US for US readers. The author died in 1969, so her works won't be PD in life+70 countries like the UK until 2039.

None of her books are on PG, but are available at The Faded Page: https://www.fadedpage.com/csearch.php?author=Brent-Dyer,%20Elinor%20Mary

Note that this in Canada and Canada is life+50, so most are not PD in the US or outside of Canada.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I had a look at the book Tricia linked to, turned a few pages, got to page 11, in the middle my eye caught the phrase "‘Isn’t it joyous?’ said Joey eagerly. "
Looks like a line written just for you, Joy! :D
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 27th, 2024, 10:00 am I had a look at the book Tricia linked to, turned a few pages, got to page 11, in the middle my eye caught the phrase "‘Isn’t it joyous?’ said Joey eagerly. "
Looks like a line written just for you, Joy! :D
:lol: :lol: I know!
~All the best,
Joy~

j0lly

Post by j0lly »

TriciaG wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:47 am
The Chalet School is a series of 58 school story novels by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer, initially published between 1925 and 1970.
(Wikipedia)

Books published more than 95 full calendar years ago are automatically public domain in the US and can be recorded for LibriVox. So any published in 1928 or earlier are recordable here in 2024.

(There are some newer works that are PD because their copyright wasn't renewed. To be able to record those, they must be fully viewable and classified as "PD in the USA" at hathitrust.org or have copyright clearance approval at gutenberg.org.)

Out of my usual online text sources, only this one looks acceptable to record: https://archive.org/details/headgirlofchalet0000elin/page/n5/mode/2up

Here's our text policy: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies
Ok well I live in Ireland, don't think i can read it, correct :?:
~All the best,
Joy~

lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

j0lly wrote: February 27th, 2024, 10:11 am
Yes, you have to wait until 2040. :(
This will give you time to record many other books. :mrgreen:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

lorda wrote: February 27th, 2024, 10:22 am
j0lly wrote: February 27th, 2024, 10:11 am
Yes, you have to wait until 2040. :(
This will give you time to record many other books. :mrgreen:
:D Yeah! Thanks for your help:)
~All the best,
Joy~

Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

j0lly wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:13 am Hi.
I love the series The Chalet School by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer. But I'm not sure if the series is in the public domain. I was considering reading a solo for one of the books in the series, but it's only a thought. Does anyone know if the series is in the public domain?

Thanks,
Well, if that author is ruled out, what about E.F. Benson's David Blaize? It's about boys, not girls, but it's a school story and it's on Project Gutenberg here, so it's PD (and the author died in 1940, so it's ok for you).
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I loved the Chalet books and so did my daughter - I'd have loved to board there as a child. They were not the same as most school stories, especially boys' school ones.

Anne
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

Winnifred wrote: February 27th, 2024, 1:55 pm
j0lly wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:13 am Hi.

Thanks,
Well, if that author is ruled out, what about E.F. Benson's David Blaize? It's about boys, not girls, but it's a school story and it's on Project Gutenberg here, so it's PD (and the author died in 1940, so it's ok for you).
Thanks! I'll look into it:)
~All the best,
Joy~

j0lly

Post by j0lly »

annise wrote: February 27th, 2024, 2:09 pm I loved the Chalet books and so did my daughter - I'd have loved to board there as a child. They were not the same as most school stories, especially boys' school ones.

Anne
Wow Anne! Yes, my dream is to board at the chalet school to :)
~All the best,
Joy~