[OPEN]Shadowland: October, 1919 by Various - tg

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Great, thanks Elsie!
allendixon

Post by allendixon »

elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Thanks! I will PL it soon :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Sorry for taking longer than I expected! Section 7 is PL OK :thumbs:
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
allendixon

Post by allendixon »

elsieselwyn wrote: March 29th, 2024, 12:40 pm
Sorry for taking longer than I expected! Section 7 is PL OK :thumbs:
Sweet! Thanks for the update.
cmensch

Post by cmensch »

I would like to claim section 9, 'The Albin marbles', if no one has already.

Thank you!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

cmensch wrote: March 30th, 2024, 12:07 pm I would like to claim section 9, 'The Albin marbles', if no one has already.

Thank you!
The section is all yours!
gardenvariety

Post by gardenvariety »

Hi! I would love to claim section 6, The World and Its Woman by Jane Ward if possible. Thanks!
Juniper
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

gardenvariety wrote: April 1st, 2024, 2:43 pm Hi! I would love to claim section 6, The World and Its Woman by Jane Ward if possible. Thanks!
The section is yours :) Thanks for claiming!
LindsayAnnCameron

Post by LindsayAnnCameron »

Here is Section 14: A Doll's House

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/shadowlandoctober1919_14_various_128kb.mp3
9:34

Please let me know what corrections will be needed...

FUN FACT: I found myself interested in seeing the movie mentioned in this article "Peg 'O My Heart" and found a silent version made in the early 20s, and another version made in the 30s... But missing from these versions was the actress that this article is about "Wanda Hawley". A little internet sleuthing & I discovered that while the version (with Wanda Hawley) was made, the production company had some legal concerns getting the proper rights and the picture was never released. This article is a tiny glimmer of what could have been for Wanda Hawley.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

LindsayAnnCameron wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:15 pm Here is Section 14: A Doll's House

FUN FACT: I found myself interested in seeing the movie mentioned in this article "Peg 'O My Heart" and found a silent version made in the early 20s, and another version made in the 30s... But missing from these versions was the actress that this article is about "Wanda Hawley". A little internet sleuthing & I discovered that while the version (with Wanda Hawley) was made, the production company had some legal concerns getting the proper rights and the picture was never released. This article is a tiny glimmer of what could have been for Wanda Hawley.
Wow! That's super cool that you were able to track down all that information! Did you end up watching the silent 20s version? If so, did you like it?

I shall PL this shortly :D
LindsayAnnCameron

elsieselwyn wrote: April 16th, 2024, 8:31 pm
LindsayAnnCameron wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:15 pm Here is Section 14: A Doll's House

Wow! That's super cool that you were able to track down all that information! Did you end up watching the silent 20s version? If so, did you like it?

I shall PL this shortly :D
I did watch a clip on youtube of the Silent version. It made me giggle.
It's so very telling of the era. Here's the link if you got a spare 5 mins for actor's hamming it up and awkward misunderstandings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ2c2dPtEGQ
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Great job! Only one PL note:
8:06 I hear "entirely without affection" when the text says "entirely without affectation". It is a small mistake, but the change of word affects the meaning of the sentence. :D

I did end up looking at that video. Silent movies are always funny because they come off, to someone used to talkies, as weirdly stilted.
LindsayAnnCameron

elsieselwyn wrote: April 17th, 2024, 7:28 pm

8:06 I hear "entirely without affection" when the text says "entirely without affectation". It is a small mistake, but the change of word affects the meaning of the sentence. :D

I did end up looking at that video. Silent movies are always funny because they come off, to someone used to talkies, as weirdly stilted.
So very weirdly stilted!!
I'll have this change over to you in the next day or so.
LindsayAnnCameron

elsieselwyn wrote: April 17th, 2024, 7:28 pm

Affection vs Affectation... oh very different meanings! Oops
There's the corrected file.

9:47