~[EXPLORERS]The Third Voyage of James Cook. Volume 1 -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

The Third Voyage of James Cook, Volume 1, by James Cook (1728 - 1779)
Only months after his return from his mammoth Second Voyage, the Admiralty ordered Cook back to the Pacific, ostensibly to return Omai, a young man from Raiatea, to his homeland, but in fact to attempt the discovery of the Northwest Passage (a proposed route from the Pacific to the Atlantic north of Canada). Cook commanded HMS Resolution and was accompanied by Captain Clerke commanding HMS Discovery. After sailing to the Pacific via Tenerife, Cape Town and New Zealand, Omai was returned to his home, after which Cook became the first European to visit the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) and then mapped the West Coast of North America. After many delays, he penetrated the Bering Strait, but was unable because of ice to proceed either East or West. He eventually returned to Hawaii, where Cook was killed by the natives. Following the death of Captain Clerke from tuberculosis, the ships eventually returned to Britain under the command of Captain Gore.

This first volume covers only the portion of the voyage up to the first visit to Hawaii/ (Summary by David Cole)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62095

Target completion date: 2024-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: exploration; 18th century; pacific; sandwich islands; hawaii; bering strait; northwest passage

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Third Voyage of James Cook, Volume 1. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Third Voyage of James Cook, Volume 1, by James Cook. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Third Voyage of James Cook, Volume 1, by James Cook. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Third Voyage of James Cook, Volume 1, by James Cook."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_##_cook_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thirdvoyagejamescookvol1_01_cook_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Happy to come along on the third voyage as MC. :)
Jo
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Thank you for volunteering as MC again.

I must apologize for failing to alert you that the Introduction, which runs over 80 printed pages, would cover multiple Sections. I am not sure how Librivox copes with this problem, but if you wish to renumber the Sections be my guest.

Please note that the stated word counts (obtained from the Gutenberg text using Microsoft Word) substantially understate the total length. The sum of the present words counts totals only about 140K, and does not include about another 20K words of footnotes, which Gutenberg relegates to the end of the text and which are therefore difficult to include in the word counts. To allow for the footnotes, I have broken any Chapter over 5000 words (instead of my usual 6000 word limit) into two.

I confirm that I would like to have a DPL for this project.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

How you have it listed in the section compiler is fine. But I think we will just start with section 1 instead of zero. An easy fix on my end. Edit: Done!
Jo
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Just in case anyone thinks I have gone missing, I have not. The Introduction is taking longer than expected. Because I have no experience of trying to split a single "chapter" into five Sections, I recorded the entire Introduction and am currently editing it before I split it into five (or possibly six) Sections. Also, it turns out that the Introduction includes about half the total footnotes for the entire book, so it is about 31,000 words. I will begin posting the first Sections before the end of March.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Sections 1-6 uploaded as follows:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_01_cook_128kb.mp3 (45:56);

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_02_cook_128kb.mp3 (37:14);

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_03_cook_128kb.mp3 (37:27);

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_04_cook_128kb.mp3 (40:37);

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_05_cook_128kb.mp3 (40:51); and

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_06_cook_128kb.mp3 (43:40).

NOTES:

1. As anticipated in my previous post, the Introduction was longer than originally envisioned, and I found it split relatively cleanly into six Sections but not very cleanly into five, so one additional Section has been added.

2. The elaborate introduction to the first Section is simply to clarify which of the numerous editions of this work is being used, and will not be repeated in any later Section.

3. There is only one deviation from the Gutenberg text. In Section 3 @ 17:26, "1773" has been changed to "1778". I have checked the facsimile copy available on archive.org, which is ambiguous, but in any case "1773" is impossible because the instructions were not written until 1776 (see the date following the signatures at the bottom of the instructions).

4. To avoid any disputes re pronunciations during PL-ing, I offer the following rationales for the choices made:

ENGLISH: Modern pronunciation throughout, even where the 18th Century spelling (e.g., "Labradore") suggests that the contemporary pronunciation was different. Rather illogically, I have kept the "q" sound in "Esquimaux", which I believe was common until quite recently.

FRENCH: Modern post-1789 pronunciation, even though I recognize that this is an anachronism since the words were written before 1789. I can only plead that (a) I cannot manage the pre-1789 pronunciation, especially in the lengthy French quotations, some of which occupy multiple paragraphs; and (b) I suspect most French speakers outside Canada would have trouble with the old pronunciation. (Incidentally, both my French and Latin are so rusty that language purists may wish to skip my attempts at these languages.) A few French family names (surnames) which are those of English residents (e.g., Cartaret) are deliberately Anglicized on the grounds that, given the tensions between France and England at the relevant dates, those individuals were probably not too keen on displaying their French ancestry.

LATIN: Revised philological pronunciation (usually known as "classical" in North America). Again, I recognize that this is an anachronism, since presumably our authors would use the English "public school" pronunication, but I am not familiar with this, nor I suspect are most readers of Latin outside England.

GREEK: Attempted Attic pronunciation.

All other languages are simply my best efforts to attempt the local pronunciation.
Last edited by Shipley on March 22nd, 2024, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Section 9 uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_09_cook_128kb.mp3 (39:59).

Please note that I have deliberately moved the position of some footnotes, usually to the end of the sentence or clause, to ease comprehension of the main text.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Shipley

Post by Shipley »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Have you someone to PL your project?

I can't promise to serve as DPL, but I'll be happy to start PLing and commit to at least the first five sections. Would you like that?
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

KevinS wrote: April 19th, 2024, 2:01 am Have you someone to PL your project?

I can't promise to serve as DPL, but I'll be happy to start PLing and commit to at least the first five sections. Would you like that?
I do not have any PL for this project. I would be delighted if you would handle the first few sections.

Best regards,
Shipley
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Shipley wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:19 am
KevinS wrote: April 19th, 2024, 2:01 am Have you someone to PL your project?

I do not have any PL for this project. I would be delighted if you would handle the first few sections.

Best regards,
Shipley
I will get started tonight!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 1 PL OK!