DR Scene & Story Collection 5 - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Bookworm360 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:58 pm How about another Sherlock Holmes story? It is The Adventure of the Speckled Band, naturally by Arthur Conan Doyle.
Link to original: https://gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1661/pg1661-images.html
Link to script: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B0xy2g0RQDibyz5OehCj66dUbxvzJqC6Xf-gFytkmDw/edit?usp=sharing
Link to author: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Conan_Doyle (Jul. 7, 1930)
Link to title: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventure_of_the_Speckled_Band
Publication date: February 1892
Additional notes: Casting is ideally gender-perfect with British accents, but if you really want to do this and can't fulfill these, it's all right too. :thumbs: I am Julia Stoner, editor, and PL.
Roles:
Sherlock Holmes
Narrator(Dr. John Watson)
Helen Stoner—should sound very nervous throughout the whole narrative.
Julia Stoner—Claimed by Bookworm360
Dr. Grimesby Roylott—Very angry and temperamental. Few lines but an important character.
Driver
Well, that's all the intel! Anyone else interested?
I may be disqualifying myself by saying that I cannot do a genuine British accent and perhaps I've already done too many roles in this collection. That said, I was curious about the script. I get a response saying that I must request access ... is it your intent that those who are curious about the script should get an 'Access Denied / Request Access' response?
Thank you! You know who you are! :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'll have a closer look and get things set up as I can - hopefully tomorrow! Fingers crossed for stable internet again. :?
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

redrun wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 8:53 pm I'll have a closer look and get things set up as I can - hopefully tomorrow! Fingers crossed for stable internet again. :?
You've really got to get out of that stable! No wonder you're having internet problems! :lol:
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

BrianFullen wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 7:27 pm

I may be disqualifying myself by saying that I cannot do a genuine British accent and perhaps I've already done too many roles in this collection. That said, I was curious about the script. I get a response saying that I must request access ... is it your intent that those who are curious about the script should get an 'Access Denied / Request Access' response?
Whoops no it isn't! Let me see about fixing that. :hmm:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Okay, should be fixed now. Sorry about that!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Bookworm360 wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:15 am Okay, should be fixed now. Sorry about that!
Excellent. Thank you!
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

For "The Brothers" the lines for Dr. Franck:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/drcollection5_thebrothers_drfranck.mp3

Take care,

Greg
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you, Greg. MW updated. :D

Bookworm360 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:58 pm How about another Sherlock Holmes story? It is The Adventure of the Speckled Band, naturally by Arthur Conan Doyle.
Well! Now that I don't feel like I'm whispering through a long tube (what did we do before broadband internet?), I've been able to dig in.
I think this one has the highest word count so far, and is also quite dialogue-heavy. I fully expect it to take two sections in this collection, and to be quite a bit of editing work! But if that's what you intended to sign on for, then we'll continue. :wink:
Bookworm360 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:58 pm Casting is ideally gender-perfect with British accents, but if you really want to do this and can't fulfill these, it's all right too. :thumbs:
Now, I think you and I are exactly on the same page here, but I want to be sure nobody else can come away with the wrong impression!

I read your note on casting/accents as an optional request to whomever volunteers, that they make an attempt at a British accent. Readers should feel welcome to do their best "Brit" impression, but an actual British accent, or even a good approximation of one, is not required. We don't turn away readers from any LibriVox project because of their (lack of a) particular accent.

If these two points are indeed as you intended, then I'll be happy to add this project to the collection!
I'll wait for a confirmation from you, but mostly, I just wanted to be sure this second point was clear to anyone who ever happens upon the thread. :thumbs:
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Yep, it all sounds good! Thank you enormously.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I please claim Dr. Roylott in "The Speckled Band?"

Thank you!

Greg
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Driver
Well, that's all the intel! Anyone else interested?

'ello Julia! Might I be your hackney driver, miss? Cheerio, Brian
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright! With apologies for the delay, The Adventure of the Speckled Band has been added to the MW and first post, including the first three character claims. :thumbs:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

redrun wrote: April 6th, 2024, 12:54 pm Alright! With apologies for the delay, The Adventure of the Speckled Band has been added to the MW and first post, including the first three character claims. :thumbs:
You do great work. A lot of it. I don't see that you owe anyone an apology. Thanks for your fine example and amazing support. :clap:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is the dialog for Bob, in The Brothers. I didn't really try much of an accent since it usually doesn't turn out well for me. But, if you want something more, I'll give it a try.

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/drcollection5_brothers_bob.mp3 7:37
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

MW updated, thank you.