DR Scene & Story Collection 5 - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

:thumbs:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: April 20th, 2024, 2:10 pm Story 5, The Knight's Move, is PL OK and very nicely done! Well done, all of you.

Cheers,
I've said it before and I'll say it again (and maybe record it so I don't have to keep repeating myself) but Canadians really are the best of people. And Winnifred is among the best of the Canadians. I'd say the absolute best but I'm counting on Val for This Finer Shadow and I don't want to risk her being miffed.
Thank you! You know who you are! :D
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: April 20th, 2024, 2:45 pm
Winnifred wrote: April 20th, 2024, 2:10 pm Story 5, The Knight's Move, is PL OK and very nicely done! Well done, all of you.

Cheers,
I've said it before and I'll say it again (and maybe record it so I don't have to keep repeating myself) but Canadians really are the best of people. And Winnifred is among the best of the Canadians. I'd say the absolute best but I'm counting on Val for This Finer Shadow and I don't want to risk her being miffed.
:9: Too kind of you, Brian. :9: Thanks.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Speaking of This Finer Shadow - Chapter 11 - I think someone just was - can I launch it?

I'd like to be Martin and I'm hoping Val is still willing to be Deane. I've worked with Val before on some collabs but I've never been lucky enough to work with her on a DR/Play. I'm sure I'm not in the same class but, you know, this is an aspirational thing for me.

I might be pushing it here but I'm hoping Val would also be Cat and Flower Lady. Playing 3 women in one scene seems a challenge but I don't doubt for a minute that she can pull it off. Anyway, they could all be thought of as three faces of one woman with that one being an "Unattached Woman" as US government referred to them in labor bureau stats during the depression era. The Great Depression was tough on everyone but especially on women because in those days society had the godforsaken notion that men should get first shot at job openings on the premise that men were mainly providers for families. I know! Right? Don't blame me please 'cause I wasn't alive then. Surely things are much better for women nowadays though I'm not sure that you can trust me, which you probably can't, because I'm not a woman.

If it's not speaking out school, it's possible that I've chatted with Val about this via PM's. If all this is OK, we'd still need a narrator.

Is also this reasonable? If not, maybe I could ask a rational person, like a woman maybe, to plead my case.

I think the original launch request was maybe on page 19, or so, of this topic's posts. I could go back and find it, if weren't so lazy, so I could link to it.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I found it at the top of page 9, could you recap for me which roles are already taken? We do prefer to have claims be made in the open forum where possible, but I'm not sure what else you're asking.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Thank you!

Project: This Finer Shadow, Chapter 11, by Harlan Cozad McIntosh (1908 - 1940)
PD Source: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64251
Script: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pusP335QNR2GIPmbSa_lZVG_0-CZB5PL/view?usp=sharing
First Published: 1941 (posthumously)

Word count: 2,856 (excluding header, trailer and cast of characters)

Roles:

Martin - Brian Fullen
Deane - Val Roth
"Cat" - Val Roth
"Flower Lady" - Val Roth
Narrator - OPEN

I'll PM Val now to ask that she formally claim the roles in this forum topic.
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hi Brian,

This looks like fun! May I claim Deane’s part please? We’d chatted about me attempting multiple roles (which would undoubtedly be a challenge) but I think Deane will keep me busy enough! :D

Thanks!

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:15 pm Hi Brian,

This looks like fun! May I claim Deane’s part please? We’d chatted about me attempting multiple roles (which would undoubtedly be a challenge) but I think Deane will keep me busy enough! :D

Thanks!

Val
Thanks Val. I can't wait to hear your Deane.

Now, in addition to a narrator, we just need a street walker and a street vendor. There is a difference, as society saw it. Me? I don't judge.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I read the Narrator?

Thanks!

Greg
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

GregGiordano wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:32 pm May I read the Narrator?
Assuming you mean for This Finer Shadow, I'll get you added. Setting it up now. :mrgreen:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Thanks!

Greg
For This Finer Shadow? Oh, yeah! If it's up to me you can.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

BrianFullen wrote: April 20th, 2024, 4:07 pm Martin - Brian Fullen
Deane - Val Roth
"Cat" - OPEN
"Flower Lady" - OPEN
Narrator - Greg Giordano
Thank you Brian, I've got this (mostly) set up. I've altered the quote above, to show the claims as I understand their status.

I'm not having much luck confirming the biographical data, as everything I see about the author seems to be just about this book. Would you be able to point me to where you got that?
At the very least, I can confirm the book is PD in the USA. If Gutenberg says so, it is so. :wink:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

redrun wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:00 pm
BrianFullen wrote: April 20th, 2024, 4:07 pm Martin - Brian Fullen
Deane - Val Roth
"Cat" - OPEN
"Flower Lady" - OPEN
Narrator - Greg Giordano
Thank you Brian, I've got this (mostly) set up. I've altered the quote above, to show the claims as I understand their status.

I'm not having much luck confirming the biographical data, as everything I see about the author seems to be just about this book. Would you be able to point me to where you got that?
At the very least, I can confirm the book is PD in the USA. If Gutenberg says so, it is so. :wink:
No, really, thank you, redrun.

I don't know if ancestry.com is a trusted source but I found this a while back: https://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/harlan-cozad-mcintosh-24-b7vcw7

I'm not sure I trust them. I went to them once, to find out about my family history, and result came back that I am "Devil Spawn". :twisted: I went for a second opinion with another provider using DNA and all. But the first opinion was confirmed by them too. Well, if nothing else, at least there was someone rather famous in my lineage. Oh, well, not everyone has a spotless record. :(

Anyway, I came across this, once
Harlan Cozad Mcintosh
Birth: April 18, 1908 - John Day, Grant, Oregon, USA
Death: 09 Aug 1940 - New York City, New York, USA
Mother: Josephine L Cozad
Father: Charles J Mcintosh

Born in John Day, Grant, Oregon, USA on April 18, 1908 to Charles J Mcintosh and Josephine L Cozad. Harlan Cozad Mcintosh passed away on 09 Aug 1940 in New York City, New York, USA.
and maybe I could re-find. the link. As I understand it, from some mag article I read months ago, his sister had the book published posthumously. I believe I read that he jumped from the roof of his apartment building.

According [Book on the Wayback Machine it is PDM mark 1.0 with no copyright. I think, I pray, that it's OK for Canadians as well! I mean he did die, reportedly before 1971 or 1965 or whatever the significant date is for Canada.

I'll keep digging if you want.

Thank you.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hmm, I'll take this to the other admins and see what they think. Thanks for showing your work. :wink:
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

redrun wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:33 pm
Assuming you mean for This Finer Shadow, I'll get you added. Setting it up now. :mrgreen:
Yes, I'm sorry I did not clarify! 😀