[CATALAN] La Xava, de Juli Vallmitjana - kaz

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
rferranip

Post by rferranip »

La Xava, by Juli Vallmitjana (1873 - 1937)
The novel describes the underbelly of Barcelona in 1910. With a narrative style between documentary and fiction, it tells the story of "La Xava", a girl who is the daughter of a prostitute and a thief. When the girl grows up, she has to fight to survive in this environment of crime, poverty and marginality. The original text is written in Catalan and the dialogues of the characters include words in the slang of the people of the poor neighborhoods of the time, many of them in the Caló language. (Summary by Rafael Ferran i Peralta)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://bdh-rd.bne.es/viewer.vm?lang=en&id=0000227325&page=1

Target completion date: 2024-05-10

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Secció (o Capítol) [#] de La Xava. Aquesta és una gravació de LibriVox. Tots els enregistraments de LibriVox són de domini públic. Per a més informació, o per presentar-vos voluntaris, visiteu LibriVox punt org." [Opcional: "llegit per el vostre nom o pseudònim"] "La Xava de Juli Vallmitjana. Títol de la secció."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Secció (o Capítol) [#] de La Xava de Juli Vallmitjana. Aquesta gravació de LibriVox és de domini públic. [Opcional: "llegit per el vostre nom o pseudònim"] "Títol de la secció"
End of recording:
Say:
Fi de la secció (o capítol) [#]" [Opcional, si no s’ha indicat ja al principi: "llegit per el vostre nom o pseudònim, ciutat, data."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"Fi de La Xava de Juli Vallmitjana."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: xava_##_vallmitjana_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. xava_01_vallmitjana_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Greetings!

Rafael Ferran i Peralta
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hi Rafael,

It's great to see another Catalan solo being started! The book is fairly long, so this would be a significant undertaking. We recommend that our new readers start with some contributions to collaborative projects before they take on a major solo, so that they can gauge the amount of effort it takes to make a finished audiobook on a smaller scale first. If you'd like to start by recording a short work in Catalan, it can be submitted to our Multilingual Short Works Collection:

viewtopic.php?t=100916

You could also submit something to the Multilingual First Chapter Collection (although please note that if you'd like to record the full book afterwards, the first chapter would have to be re-recorded afresh):

viewtopic.php?t=101723

We also have many collaborative projects in other languages, of course.

Does that work for you?

Michael
rferranip

Post by rferranip »

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the reply and directions. As you suggest, I will record the first chapter of "La Xava" as a practice before making the whole book, and submit it to the Multilingual First Chapter Collection.
Thank you again.
Greetings!

Rafael Ferran i Peralta
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

rferranip wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 12:20 am Thanks for the reply and directions. As you suggest, I will record the first chapter of "La Xava" as a practice before making the whole book, and submit it to the Multilingual First Chapter Collection.
The first chapter of this book could be a good choice, as long as your recording of it runs under 74 minutes (our limit for a single file) and you wouldn't mind recording it again for the solo. For now, I'll move this thread to the subforum "On Hold Project Proposals". Please reply to this thread again once you've completed your collaborative contribution and confirmed your intention to do the solo, and I'll be happy to set it up for you.

Michael
rferranip

Post by rferranip »

Kazbek wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 9:35 am
rferranip wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 12:20 am Thanks for the reply and directions. As you suggest, I will record the first chapter of "La Xava" as a practice before making the whole book, and submit it to the Multilingual First Chapter Collection.
The first chapter of this book could be a good choice, as long as your recording of it runs under 74 minutes (our limit for a single file) and you wouldn't mind recording it again for the solo. For now, I'll move this thread to the subforum "On Hold Project Proposals". Please reply to this thread again once you've completed your collaborative contribution and confirmed your intention to do the solo, and I'll be happy to set it up for you.

Michael
Hi Michael,
I have already completed the first chapter of La Xava and it is already part (section 7) of the Multilingual first chapters collection #12. I am very happy because Rapunzelina told me that the quality is very good.
I confirm that I want to do the whole book. As soon as it suits you, you can set it up, please.
I put in the project sheet that there were 9 chapters, but the last one is an annex, in fact, it is a vocabulary that should not be done.
On the other hand, there is some chapter that will perhaps exceed 80 minutes, I don't know if it will be necessary to divide it into two parts.
We'll figure it out as we go, I guess.

Thanks and greetings from Barcelona!
Greetings!

Rafael Ferran i Peralta
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Great! I've set up the Magic Window and replaced the intros/outros with a Catalan version.

If some chapters are too long to fit into a single recording, we normally use the word "section" at the start of the intro and in the outro and the chapter number is part of the section title. For example, you would have something like:
Secció 8 de La Xava de Juli Vallmitjana. Aquesta gravació de LibriVox és de domini públic. Capítol 5 (continuació) ... Fi de la secció 8"
I created the MW with 15 sections to start with. Extra sections can be added or removed as needed.

As soloist, you will also be the BC (book coordinator) for your project, and will be in charge of filling out the Magic Window. Before you can access a Magic Window for the first time, you will need to set up a password for logging into the workflow system, as described here:

How to log in to the workflow system for the first time

Other instructions for managing the Magic Window can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

In a solo project, you don't have to worry about the things that BCs do in group projects for other readers. You just need to do the following:

1) Fill out the Title column, which will be used in the catalog (hit Enter to save).
2) Put file durations (mm:ss) into the Notes column (click Save to save).
3) Copy file URLs from the uploader and paste them into the Listen URL column (hit Enter to save).
4) Update the status to "ready for PL" and "ready for spot PL", as appropriate.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll leave this thread here on the Launch Pad for a couple of days before moving it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Proof-listener) volunteers.

Do you already have a proof-listener lined up?

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Moving the thread to Going Solo
rferranip

Post by rferranip »

Hi Michael,
I have managed to convince my colleague to be the DPL for this project. She has already registered in the forum and is reading the instructions. It is not clear to me what else she should do.
By the way, I have a cold and my voice is not very good, so I haven't continued recording.
As for the first chapter, do I have to re-record it again or can i use what i already did as is?
Thank you in advance.

Greetings!
Greetings!

Rafael Ferran i Peralta
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hi Rafael,

After your colleague posts something in this thread, I'll give her more specific instructions. She can write in Catalan or Spanish if she prefers (I understand Spanish well and Catalan probably well enough.)

Yes, as I mentioned, we would need a new recording of the first chapter. We don't reuse the same recording in multiple projects.

Please take your time to recover. You can proceed at your own speed.

Michael
Rosalia

Post by Rosalia »

Hola, Michael i Rafa,
Ja li he dit al Rafa que estava disposada a fer de DPL per aquest projecte, per això, quan vulguis, dona'm instruccions per poder començar a fer la revisió.
Encara està força refredat, osigui que no sé quan podrà començar a tornar a gravar el capítol 1r.
Salutacions,
Rosalia Arenyes Rossinyol
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hola Rosalia,

Bienvenida a LibriVox! Creo que será más fácil mostrarte el proceso una vez que haya una grabación para verificar. Entonces, esperemos hasta que Rafael suba su primera grabación.

Saludos,
Michael
rferranip

Post by rferranip »

Hi Michael,
I have recorded again the first chapter of La Xava, and I've uploaded it. Here's is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/xava_01_vallmitjana_128kb.mp3
Well, MW is also updated. :D

Salut!
Greetings!

Rafael Ferran i Peralta
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

rferranip wrote: March 16th, 2024, 6:42 am Well, MW is also updated. :D
Great! When a new section is uploaded we also need to set the Status to "Ready for PL" (as I've done for this one).

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Rosalia wrote: March 12th, 2024, 8:31 am Ja li he dit al Rafa que estava disposada a fer de DPL per aquest projecte, per això, quan vulguis, dona'm instruccions per poder començar a fer la revisió.
Hola Rosalia,

Ahora estamos listos para comenzar. :)

La DPL comprueba que las intros y outros tengan el formato especificado en el primer mensaje y nota cualquier repetición accidental, grande cambio de volumen, ruido fuerte o pausa inusualmente larga.

Si Rafael y tú lo queréis, también puedes comparar la grabación con el texto y anotar cualquier desviación del texto que cambie su significado.

Por lo general, la DPL publica sus notas en el hilo del proyecto y también cambia la columna "Status" en la Ventana Mágica a "See PL notes" o "PL OK", según corresponda.

Aquí están las instrucciones para acceder a la ventana por primera vez:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

Si no planeas participar en otros proyectos, puedes simplemente responder en el hilo y Rafael actualizará la ventana.

No dudes en pedir ayuda acá si tienes cualquier pregunta. :)

Michael
Rosalia

Post by Rosalia »

Hola, Michael,
Muchas gracias por las indicaciones.

Rafa, aquí tens les notes de l'audició del capítol 1.

Intro, outro i pauses d'entrada i sortida: tot correcte.

Discrepàncies locució-text original i propostes de correcció:
(mm:ss - locució - text original [indicacions])
48:27 - per deixar - per a deixar
48.00 - comentava - comentaven
47:30 - [pausa massa llarga]
45:21 - cridava (,) satirejant - cridava satirejant
44:00 - perquè una - perquè l'una
40:25 - on en - on(t) en
39:51 - [hi ha un silenci de 4 segons!]
37:48 - natural ordre - natural orde
35:44 - on una mà - on(t) una mà
28:19 - allí on vivia - allí on(t) ell vivia
24:13 - que no (,) minvaven - que no minvaven
16:37 - que corrien - que corren
16:02 - del mal - del mar
14:14 - per no - per a no
12:50 - un cantell - el cantell
12:12 - s'hi solen - s'hi solien
11:12 - davant d'aquella - davant d'aquesta
07:32 - presumir que ell - presumir de que ell
02:29 - de la nit - de nit

Les he posades eno ordre invers per a que les puguis anar corregint sense que et canvïi el punt temporal de la nota següent.
Ja em diràs si et va bé el format i el nivell de detall.

Una abraçada!

Rosalia