1-Minute Test Recording Submitted, WSmith356 [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
WSmith356

Post by WSmith356 »

Hello!

Here is the link to my 1-minute test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_WSmith356.mp3

Equipment used as follows

Platform: Windows
Software: Ableton Live 11 lite
Mic: Warm Audio WA-47jr
Interface: SSL2

If this does not work, it would be great to know if there are any Ableton adjustments you would recommend. Thank you for taking the time to review.

Very best regards,
William Smith
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

WSmith356 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 1:29 pm Hello!

Here is the link to my 1-minute test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_WSmith356.mp3

Equipment used as follows

Platform: Windows
Software: Ableton Live 11 lite
Mic: Warm Audio WA-47jr
Interface: SSL2

If this does not work, it would be great to know if there are any Ableton adjustments you would recommend. Thank you for taking the time to review.

Very best regards,
William Smith
Welcome to Librivox, William!

A very nice reading indeed. Just some technical adjustments required. Librivox requires audio files that are in mono, with a constant bit rate of 128 kbps. Your file is in stereo (joint), with a bit rate of 320 kbps. The volume is fine at 86.8 dB.

I'm not familiar with Ableton (I use Audacity), so I fear I can't tell you how to correct these specs, but if you post a question in the "Need Help? Got Advice?” forum, someone there who uses Ableton can probably help you.

If you could correct those specs and reupload your file, I'll come back and listen to it.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
WSmith356

Post by WSmith356 »

Hi Winnifred,

Thank you for taking the time to review my audio clip. Appreciate the feedback! I can see where to set the export to mono, but I need to check on how to convert the 320 CBR to 128. Great suggestion to ask on the Need Help section to see if there is anyone else using a similar set up for recording. Once I get this figured out I will resubmit.

Have a great day!

Very best regards,
William Smith
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

WSmith356 wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:59 am Hi Winnifred,

Thank you for taking the time to review my audio clip. Appreciate the feedback! I can see where to set the export to mono, but I need to check on how to convert the 320 CBR to 128. Great suggestion to ask on the Need Help section to see if there is anyone else using a similar set up for recording. Once I get this figured out I will resubmit.

Have a great day!

Very best regards,
William Smith
One of my fellow-Librivoxers also checking tests suggested this test response to another Ableton user yesterday as a possible source of information: “There might be some useful info about Ableton here.”
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
WSmith356

Post by WSmith356 »

Thanks - great info! I just submitted to the Need Help section - my plan B that I have seen, confirms what you sent - that sending a WAV file from Ableton to Audacity to then convert to proper MP3 128 CBR is most like the solution. Perhaps I'll be downloading Audacity very soon.

Again - appreciate the help.

Very best regards,
Willim
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

WSmith356 wrote: February 21st, 2024, 10:28 am Thanks - great info! I just submitted to the Need Help section - my plan B that I have seen, confirms what you sent - that sending a WAV file from Ableton to Audacity to then convert to proper MP3 128 CBR is most like the solution. Perhaps I'll be downloading Audacity very soon.

Again - appreciate the help.

Very best regards,
Willim
If you ever decide to use the latest version of Audacity for recording as well, I’ve got a pinned post at the top of this test forum with instructions for getting the initial setup right, including screenshots.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
WSmith356

Post by WSmith356 »

Ah yes... thanks!
WSmith356

Post by WSmith356 »

Hi Winnifred,

I was able to use Audacity to export the file accordingly in mono and at 128 CBR, as well as pass it through Checker. At your convenience, please let me know if the current file needs any additional adjustments made to qualify as a successful test.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_wsmith356take2.mp3

Thank you!

Very best regards,
William
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

WSmith356 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 11:08 am Hi Winnifred,

I was able to use Audacity to export the file accordingly in mono and at 128 CBR, as well as pass it through Checker. At your convenience, please let me know if the current file needs any additional adjustments made to qualify as a successful test.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_wsmith356take2.mp3

Thank you!

Very best regards,
William
Hi William,

Your test meets all Librivox standards, so you're ready to start recording!

I suggest heading over to the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum to find your first recording. There are lots of shorter options there in all genres. Let the book coordinator of your first reading know if you want a different name than WSmith356 in the Librivox catalogue.

Happy reading!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
WSmith356

Post by WSmith356 »

Thank you Winnifred for your assistance in getting my systems reviewed and properly set up - much appreciated! I will check out those sections as you have recommended.

Just one quick final question - might you please elaborate a little more on your suggestion about changing username - how do you think I should set it up? My name is so common: William Smith that there are quite a few variations of that around Librivox, not to mention thousands of us on Linked In! In my worklife I have been going by Will Smith for years. I'm sure you can imagine all the comments I gather on the movies I've made. :) So I am open to finding something else, just would like to know more about your recommendation. Have a great weekend!

Very Best Regards,
William
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

WSmith356 wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 10:41 am Thank you Winnifred for your assistance in getting my systems reviewed and properly set up - much appreciated! I will check out those sections as you have recommended.

Just one quick final question - might you please elaborate a little more on your suggestion about changing username - how do you think I should set it up? My name is so common: William Smith that there are quite a few variations of that around Librivox, not to mention thousands of us on Linked In! In my worklife I have been going by Will Smith for years. I'm sure you can imagine all the comments I gather on the movies I've made. :) So I am open to finding something else, just would like to know more about your recommendation. Have a great weekend!

Very Best Regards,
William
Well, you'll have to decide what's best for you. Some readers choose to remain anonymous and keep their forum name and catalogue name the same. Others might want people to be able to search for their recordings by their name, so they use their full names, as I do, with a space between first and last name. Your forum name has to be all one word, no spaces, but your catalogue name does not.

When you claim your first section, the Book Coordinator (BC) will set up your catalogue page. If you don't state a preference up front, they'll probably use your forum name for the catalogue as well (some ask first, but not all).

I just did a search and there are currently only 4 instances of the name "William Smith" on Librivox, but they're all authors, so if you go by William Smith and someone searches for "William Smith reader Librivox," they'd find only you. So maybe you're not so common as you think! (There's also no Will Smith readers out there!)

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
WSmith356

Post by WSmith356 »

Appreciate the clarification, Winnifred! I will think about this some more for sure..!

Very best regards,
William