[Solo/Dark Romanticism]Chalk Face by Waldo Frank -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Chalk Face, by Waldo Frank (1889 - 1967)

Volunteers outside the USA: Waldo Frank died in 1967. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
A young alienist exposes a murderer. (Summary by Brian Fullen)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72967

Target completion date: 2024-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book: psychological thriller, dark romanticism, atmospheric fiction, gothic murder mystery

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Chalk Face. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Chalk Face, by Waldo Frank. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Chalk Face, by Waldo Frank. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Chalk Face, by Waldo Frank."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: chalkface_##_frank_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. chalkface_01_frank_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by BrianFullen on May 15th, 2024, 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Brian. I can MC this for you. MW coming up...
Jo
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: February 17th, 2024, 9:33 am Hi Brian. I can MC this for you. MW coming up...
Very nice. Thank you!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: February 17th, 2024, 9:33 am Hi Brian. I can MC this for you. MW coming up...
Hi Jo! MW is data filled after a fashion. Thank you so much! Brian
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Hi Brian,

Am I right in thinking this is your first solo? If so, good for you. I’d be happy to DPL, if you like.

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: February 17th, 2024, 10:39 am Hi Brian,

Am I right in thinking this is your first solo? If so, good for you. I’d be happy to DPL, if you like.

Cheers,
I would like that very much, Winnifred, and thank you for your kind offer. Brian
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

DPL added, and we are off to Going Solo...
Jo
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Just checking in to say that I plan to do some recording here in April. Cheers..
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I'll be proof listening a bit later today. What's going on with the MW? Do you want to call the first part Dedication and Preface? I can stick that in there when I PL. It looks like you're going to need more sections; you can add them in (you just can't delete them, so you might want to do a careful count before you finish adding).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:04 am

I'll be proof listening a bit later today. What's going on with the MW? Do you want to call the first part Dedication and Preface? I can stick that in there when I PL. It looks like you're going to need more sections; you can add them in (you just can't delete them, so you might want to do a careful count before you finish adding).

Cheers,
:lol: Thanks for the tips on MW's. :D I've been launching and BC'ing projects going on two years now and not much has changed in how one operates on MW's so far as I know - if it works, why mess with it - I believe I'll be okay with the MW. Interestingly, Jo was the MC on the first project that I BC'd almost two years ago. She was very helpful then and has been all along since then. At some point, I'll want to make some minor mods to the first post, well as least on the brief description - but I'll have to coordinate that with her because MC's put that stuff in when they enter projects into the the database.

I did do a careful count and plan when I launched but I was in a different frame of mind back in February. At that time I was all in on long sections of roughly equal length. Actually I was still into the mindset that 2.5 to 5k sections were of ideal length. You know, like maybe 20 to 30 minute duration. I think I got there because I used to like to listen to audio books during commutes. In fact, I launched at least a half dozen (maybe a dozen) collab book projects on works done by authors who had 'day jobs' writing for periodicals. I think I liked them because they had a very structured approach to their books and were used to writing chapters of nearly identical length. I think they learned to plan their books, craft them and produce them in that fashion because it was their normal behavior in writing for magazines and such.

But I've gotten over the notion that equal length sections are as key as I obsessively had come to think of them. So, lately I've come around to feeling I need to respect that author's (and their editor / publisher's) wishes. If the chapter lengths vary widely then, so be it, as far as I'm concerned - in May, as opposed to the way I felt about it way, way back in February).

Thanks again for offering to PL.

Cheers.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Hi Jo,

I did intend to ask you at some point and, since Winnifred has brought it up now, this seems as good a time as any to ask: is a blank section title okay in the MW or will that become problematic when it comes time to catalog?

All of the sections, save the first, for this book follow the pattern [part number & name] [letter]. Waldo Frank used a unique (or at least rare) approach of lettering rather than numbering his chapters. For the very first chapter, which precedes his Part One, he simply headed it "Chalk Face". If blank section titles foul cataloging I suppose a could use "Chalk Face" for that first section title, but in the into it would be said after a quote from Job which would come between "Chalk Face, by Waldo Frank" and then "Chalk Face" (as the purported section title) and so I'd need to give Winnifred a heads up on that.

Thank you,
Brian
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Sorry, I don't think I was clear about what my question was. I meant the fact that section 1 has no name at all... I'm assuming this contains the preface and dedication. Whenever I've had one of those, the MC has put in a section 0 for it, and I've called it Preface or Dedication or Preface and Dedication, and then the regular chapters started at 1.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 5th, 2024, 10:00 am Sorry, I don't think I was clear about what my question was. I meant the fact that section 1 has no name at all... I'm assuming this contains the preface and dedication. Whenever I've had one of those, the MC has put in a section 0 for it, and I've called it Preface or Dedication or Preface and Dedication, and then the regular chapters started at 1.
There's no reason for you to apologize. I should have checked in with you before upload.

The book actually does have a brief sort of dedication / preface. It's basically a dedication to his father and a kind of defense of the book. It's a pretty weird book in which a young alienist (forensic psychology was a very new field in 1924 and one of the factors that attracted me to this book is that Frank wrote an alienist when such a professions was still in its infancy and way ahead of Caleb Carr's book called Alienist) reveals himself. There are all sort of things treated e.g. dissociative disorders, that were of interest in the nascency of forensic psychology and probably still are, that are treated in the book. Anyway ... back to the preface ... I read it as Frank maybe having some "daddy issues" but that's just my interpretation and I've chosen not to include it in this project.

My choice for the first section is to either leave it blank - if that is allowable or, use "Chalk Face" there if Jo says the section title cannot be blank. We'll see. No rush on PL. I'm in no particular hurry, tho I hope to have another section up today.

Thanks again.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

But what you're reading in that first section is actually the Preface. Why not call it that? What comes before that is some kind of backhand dedication to his father and it's your choice to leave it out.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: