Has anyone had their Checker yield different results from someone else’s?[RESOLVED]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

While PLing a couple of chapters, I’ve found that my Checker is giving me different volume and DC Bias numbers than the reader is getting. The reader’s getting a “Passed,” but I’m getting “Passed with Warnings” and slightly different numbers (92.5 dB, where the reader gets 91.7 dB). We’re both on Macs.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, did you figure out why?

Thanks,
Last edited by Winnifred on February 17th, 2024, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Has the reader tried running checker from the URL on the server (presumably https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_12_pratt_128kb.mp3)?
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

InTheDesert wrote: February 16th, 2024, 8:50 pm Has the reader tried running checker from the URL on the server (presumably https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_12_pratt_128kb.mp3)?
Yes, that's right. I hadn't thought of that. I'll ask him to do so. That could perhaps make a difference.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Sure enough, that’s it. When the reader ran the forum url through Checker, their results were the same as mine. (I have, however, discouraged him from downloading the url in future to avoid this happening again because of the possibly overloaded servers issue.)

It seems to me that this is a bit of a problem. How can readers ensure their volume is within the range if they’re getting a different result than the PL? (And if we’re ok with achieving approximately correct results, should that be recorded somewhere?)

I think this is a question for the admins…

:help: :help: :help:

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I think that tells you that he was accidentally running the wrong file through Checker.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

InTheDesert wrote: February 16th, 2024, 10:09 pm I think that tells you that he was accidentally running the wrong file through Checker.
I don’t think so. See our further discussion in the project. He tried uploading it to his own site and the results were also different from his own, but just not by as much. He has now checked it multiple times, as have I. We continue to get the same different results.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

What value does he get if he first downloads the file from the server and then runs it through checker?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

InTheDesert wrote: February 16th, 2024, 10:48 pm What value does he get if he first downloads the file from the server and then runs it through checker?
He’s only tried checking the url directly, from Librivox and from his own site. But I tried downloading it first and checking file and I got the same results as I did for the url.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I think he should try downloading the file and making sure that it is the downloaded file that he runs through checker. I still suspect the files don't match...
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Uploads can go wrong in different ways, that's why we check a file again even if it was re-uploaded just for a new filename. Have you tried re-uploading the file and checking the results again? The first one could have been a wonky upload. (also making sure that the correct file is being uploaded)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 17th, 2024, 12:01 am Uploads can go wrong in different ways, that's why we check a file again even if it was re-uploaded just for a new filename. Have you tried re-uploading the file and checking the results again? The first one could have been a wonky upload. (also making sure that the correct file is being uploaded)
I don’t believe he’s tried re-uploading to Librivox, but he did try uploading to his own site, and checking that url, which yielded results just slightly different from his results checking the file locally (91.6 for the url, 91.7 locally). But when he downloaded it from Librivox he got the same results as me (92.5).

I’ll sleep on this and consider it again in the morning…
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

From the project's thread I see that James gets the same results from his local file and the file he uploaded to his website. He only gets different results from the file he uploaded to the Librivox server.

So, either (a) he uploaded to Librivox a different file - though, depending on his process, it's a bit improbable to have exported two files, one louder than the other, then accidentally uploading the louder one - or (b) something changed in the file during a wonky upload to Librivox.

ETA. I read through the project thread, and how James had to re-upload his files for section 11 and 12 because of the volume. My hypothesis is that he overlooked uploading his final file for section 12 along with section 11, so that the uploaded file is different from his local file.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

It’s possible that his last upload of the chapter didn’t get through. I’ve asked him to re-upload it, and will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

And that did the trick. I think his upload just didn't make it onto the site the first time around. I've learned something useful from this; start by asking for a re-upload of the file.

Thank-you all for your input. This hive mind is awesome.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: