[COMPLETE] Last Post, by Ford Madox Ford - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Last Post, by Ford Madox Ford (1873 - 1939)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/last-post-by-ford-madox-ford/
This is the last novel in Ford Madox Ford's "Parade's End" tetralogy. Its predecessors "Some Do Not", "No More Parades" and "A Man Could Stand Up" are all available on Librivox. In this coda to the tetralogy, the prevailing mood is elegaic. The foreground action takes place on a single day, some years after the Great War has ended, in the rural setting where Christopher Tietjens and his unmarried partner Valentine Wannop have settled down, and where Christopher's older brother lies unmoving under a thatched shelter, having long since suffered a stroke. Valentine is expecting a child, but Christopher's passionately irascible wife Sylvia has plans for upsetting this rural idyl. As always with Ford's mature work, the reader has to do some work to figure out "what is going on" as the tale jumps about in time and between points view, but Ford's display of narrative virtuosity is interlaced throughout with wry humour, and the novel's conclusion is heart-wrenchingly poignant. (Summary by Peter Dann)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/fordfm-lastpost/fordfm-lastpost-00-h.html

Target completion date: 2024-05-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: great war — fiction

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Last Post. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Last Post, by Ford Madox Ford. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Last Post, by Ford Madox Ford. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Last Post, by Ford Madox Ford."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lastpost_##_ford_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lastpost_01_ford_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by TheBanjo on March 5th, 2024, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

While I have not yet confirmed explicitly with Sunrise2020 that she will act as DPL for this project (she is currently hiking in a remote location, and has only intermittent internet access), I believe she will be willing to act in this capacity, as she has done for all my other solo projects.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

https://archive.org/details/lastpost0000ford/page/n5/mode/2up

Peter,
A couple of minor things. The above copy has the title as "The Last Post." Also, this copy is clearly dated 1928. And finally, we can change the DPL if needed.
Dave

edit: I see that the US title is "The Last Post" while the UK is "Last Post." Both were first published in 1928.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Hello Peter, I was wondering what’s up next and will be happy to DPL this recording! How did this book get your attention?
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: February 14th, 2024, 2:23 pm Hello Peter, I was wondering what’s up next and will be happy to DPL this recording! How did this book get your attention?
Hi Susanne, thank you! I sent you a WhatsApp msg about this - but maybe you don’t currently have access to that?
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: February 14th, 2024, 2:23 pm Hello Peter, I was wondering what’s up next and will be happy to DPL this recording! How did this book get your attention?
Long story short: I was about to embark on another work when a kind listener sent a 'thank you' note via Librivox mentioning that "Last Post" (which is actually the fourth book in a tetralogy, of which we have previously completed the first three works) has come into the public domain this year, and asking if I would record it. It was actually the same listener who prompted me that "A Man Could Stand Up" (third item in same tetralogy) had come into the public domain. I'm keen to complete the set, as it were. I've read "Last Post", and I know it's an odd book in some ways, rather a contrast to the other three, but it contains a whole cast of characters we've already met, and it was Ford Madox Ford's way of rounding out his work. I actually do like the book, odd as it is. So, that's the background.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

craigdav1 wrote: February 14th, 2024, 7:46 am https://archive.org/details/lastpost0000ford/page/n5/mode/2up

Peter,
A couple of minor things. The above copy has the title as "The Last Post." Also, this copy is clearly dated 1928. And finally, we can change the DPL if needed.
Dave

edit: I see that the US title is "The Last Post" while the UK is "Last Post." Both were first published in 1928.
Hi Dave, I'm not sure if I made an error in my original post submitting this as a new project, but yes, the publication date is certainly 1928.
I wasn't aware that the book was published under slightly different titles in different parts of the world. As Wikipedia treats the title as "Last Post" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Post_(novel)) and as this is the title of the version I will be reading from, I'd like to stick with "Last Post" rather than "The Last Post".
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Hello Peter, thanks for the update! Maybe the kind and thoughtful listener will have other suggestions in the future!
We’re off to a good start: section 0 and 1 are okay.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

PL of section 2 is fine.
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020