[SOLO] Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

Emily of New Moon, by Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874 - 1942)
Emily, an imaginative, candid young girl, finds herself in new and lonely circumstances when she has to go to live with family she has never met. While not everything about her new situation is to Emily's liking, she soon settles in as she makes new friends and develops her gift for writing. (Summary by Autumn Duley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): Paper copy

Target completion date: 2025-12-10

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/General
Keywords that describe the book: family, orphan, childhood, Friendship, cats, poet, writer, imaginative, creative, girlhood
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Emily of New Moon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Emily of New Moon, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Chapter [#], [Chapter title]."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Emily of New Moon, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Chapter [#], [Chapter title]"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Emily of New Moon, by Lucy Maud Montgomery."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: emilyofnewmoon_##_montgomery_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. emilyofnewmoon_01_montgomery_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by GodsDreamer on February 4th, 2024, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

Notes for a potential MC:

This will be my first big project, though I have recorded some smaller things for LibriVox before. I believe my name in the catalog for those is "GodsDreamer", if it is better to keep all my projects under one name this can be credited the same way.

I think it is allowed to read from a paper copy? But please advise if not. I am also not sure if I should have put a different date for the copyright on this one, the inside of the book says it was copyrighted in 1923 but that the copyright was renewed in 1951. I don't know if that is important.

I am hoping this will be concluded well before my goal completion date, but I know it will be a huge undertaking, so I am trying to be realistic. Also, I have two small kids at home, so any recording can only be done while they are sleeping!

I think this book is already on LibriVox, but I love L.M. Montgomery's writings and this lesser-known series of hers, and a feel like "kindred spirits" with some of her characters, so I thought I would make a copy. I think it will be something that people will enjoy listening to!
vviera

Post by vviera »

I'm not sure if you prefer to read from a paper copy, but there are at least three online e-books sources of it:
Internet Archive
hathitrust.org
Gutenberg
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

There is one solo version, for which I was DPL, one collaborative version completed.
I will let one of the admins comment on reading from a paper version. It is usually discouraged and at least requires a copy of the copyright page. Where this one has a renewal date, that might be an issue. On a practical note, one has to be careful of paper handling noise. When I first started out with LV, I printed a lot of material and stood at a little podium. My how times have changed. :lol:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

vviera wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 5:55 pm I'm not sure if you prefer to read from a paper copy, but there are at least three online e-books sources of it:
Internet Archive
hathitrust.org
Gutenberg
Thank you! Looks like I may need to look into those...
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

silverquill wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 7:48 pm There is one solo version, for which I was DPL, one collaborative version completed.
I will let one of the admins comment on reading from a paper version. It is usually discouraged and at least requires a copy of the copyright page. Where this one has a renewal date, that might be an issue. On a practical note, one has to be careful of paper handling noise. When I first started out with LV, I printed a lot of material and stood at a little podium. My how times have changed. :lol:
I did wonder about the copyright renewal. And I had already thought that page turning noise could be an issue too. Reading from a screen just feels a bit soulless to me, and I can't seem to read as animatedly as I would coming from a real book! Did I mention I feel I have some common ground with some of L. M. Montgomery's heroines... anyways, I'm sure I can get over that if needed! The book provides plenty of passion and emotion whether read from a screen or a page!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'm sure you'll do fine. It took me a little getting used to, but I'm more comfortable with the screen now. Let the passion flow!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Reading from the book is a valid option if you choose to go this way. Maybe it would be a nice touch for some listeners; the page turning sound will give a different character to the audio book, in a romantic way. With a mention of this in the summary so that listeners (a) are prepared for the page turning noise, (b) know it was intentionally left in. Or, you can still edit the noise out if you prefer. The 1923 copyright is fine. The renewal was to keep the copyright up until January 2019, and not have it expire in the 1960s or something. But just to make sure, please take a picture of the copyright page and send it to my upload folder (like you would upload a recording) so I can take a look at the fine print :mrgreen:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I've set you up with a Magic Window, or MW for short! As the soloist, you're in charge of it, so here's all you need to know about the Magic Window:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

To gain access you'll need to set up your own password. Start with "Accessing the System – First Time Login" to create your password.
Once you have an MW password, you can use it for the uploader, too (forum name + MW password).

It's a lot of information, so please ask if anything is unclear or if you're having trouble creating your password. Basically, you fill in the Section titles, and whenever you upload a recording, you put the duration in the Notes field, enter the file url, and mark it Ready for PL in the last column. Then also post in the thread that you've added new files in the Magic Window, so that all project activity is recorded in the forum.

I've entered a couple of section titles as an example.
GodsDreamer wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 2:03 pm I believe my name in the catalog for those is "GodsDreamer", if it is better to keep all my projects under one name this can be credited the same way.
Your name in the catalogue currently is "Autumn Bright" https://librivox.org/reader/12445 Would you like that left as is, changed to "Autumn Duley", or changed to "GodsDreamer"? It is suggested that the catalogue name is the same as whatever name you use in the recordings (if you use the optional "read by ..." phrase) so that listeners may find the reader by searching for that name, for example.
GodsDreamer wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 2:03 pm I have two small kids at home
Cute!!!
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 4th, 2024, 7:34 am Reading from the book is a valid option if you choose to go this way. Maybe it would be a nice touch for some listeners; the page turning sound will give a different character to the audio book, in a romantic way. With a mention of this in the summary so that listeners (a) are prepared for the page turning noise, (b) know it was intentionally left in. Or, you can still edit the noise out if you prefer. The 1923 copyright is fine. The renewal was to keep the copyright up until January 2019, and not have it expire in the 1960s or something. But just to make sure, please take a picture of the copyright page and send it to my upload folder (like you would upload a recording) so I can take a look at the fine print :mrgreen:
The uploader says that it only uploads a few file types, of which JPEG is not one. So let me know if this did not work! But here is the link to a picture of the copyright page from the copy I own.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/IMG_8096.JPG
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 4th, 2024, 8:03 am Your name in the catalogue currently is "Autumn Bright" https://librivox.org/reader/12445 Would you like that left as is, changed to "Autumn Duley", or changed to "GodsDreamer"?
Let's change it to GodsDreamer, then, to keep it consistent. It gets confusing since I have recordings from before and after I got married. :D Thank you!
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 4th, 2024, 8:03 am
It's a lot of information, so please ask if anything is unclear
Ok, I do have one question. Since I now have two logins for this site, is it important which I use when? Obviously I need to log in with my new MC (?) credentials when I need to update the magic window for this. But if I am, say, uploading files or commenting on a collaborative project for which I am simply one of the readers, is it important that I log back in with my old credentials?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Your forum credential have not changed, so you can log in the forum as before, but for the uploader it's best to use your new MW login, because if you use the generic password provided for group projects, and then try to log in your Magic Window you'll get an "access denied" message; in that case you'll need to log out and log in again.
Let me know if this answers your question or confuses you further :mrgreen:
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 4th, 2024, 2:17 pm Let me know if this answers your question or confuses you further :mrgreen:
I think this answers my question! Thank you. And I'm sure it will get even more clear as I start to use it more.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

GodsDreamer wrote: February 4th, 2024, 12:39 pm Let's change it to GodsDreamer, then, to keep it consistent.
This is now changed!
GodsDreamer wrote: February 4th, 2024, 12:37 pm But here is the link to a picture of the copyright page from the copy I own.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/IMG_8096.JPG
I got the image alright! I think the copyright is ok, so you can read from the book if you choose to. If you do read from the book, I'll listen to the first couple of chapters following with the text at Gutenberg.org just to make sure the text is the same :thumbs:

I'll move us to Going Solo now. Hold tight!