Error with New Project Template Generator

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am experiencing an error with the new project template generator here on the forum. I have been trying to fill out the template because I think I am brave enough to start a solo recording project, but after I fill it out and try to submit it I get an error message with the following code: HTTP ERROR 500

I suppose my question is, is this universal or perhaps something that only I am experiencing? Is there another way to start a solo recording project if I can't get the template to work?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Is it a new author not yet in the database? If so, post it here and an admin will add it before you try filling in the form again.

If not take a look at these troubleshooting suggestions
1. Make sure that the author is already in the LibriVox database.
Type the author's last name in the "Last name" box, under "Information about the Author(s)". You should see their name and information come up in a list, and clicking on that name should fill in all the other boxes - the author's first name, years of birth and death, and usually their Wikipedia link, too.

If you do NOT see the author's name come up, say so here in this thread. Include any of that information you can find about the author - full name, Wikipedia link, dates of birth and death. An admin will get them added to the LibriVox database, and will let you know when you can try again!

If you DO see the author's name, be sure you click it so that the other boxes are filled, and DO NOT change any of those boxes after that - they are the way the admins entered them. :wink:

If you are running a collection by various authors, then enter "Various" as the author's last name, and leave the other boxes blank! Don't put "Various" for the author's first name, date of death, etc., leave them all empty but the last name.

2. Make sure all of the "date" fields have only numbers
These fields should include no letters like BC/AD, no year-ranges like 1901-1902, and no spaces - just digits.

3. Temporarily remove any special characters.
If the title, the summary, or the "summary by" name includes anything other than English letters and numbers, try leaving those out for now. You can re-enter those characters after you've pasted the template into the forum. Examples of things to leave out are punctuation and "special" characters, such as ".*&()%`[]@', and characters with umlauts or diacritics, such as ü or ñ.

You can try leaving the summary and other optional boxes entirely blank, if you still have trouble after removing all the special characters you can find. Some special characters are pretty hard to spot, and could be copy/pasted by accident.
Jo
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

There are a few things that are known to cause issues with it - some authors' names, when they aren't already in the database, any dates that are not simple numbers (no AD/BC or spaces allowed), and any accented characters that aren't used in English. See detailed info here:
viewtopic.php?t=99510

Edit: Cross-posted with Jo. :lol:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
GodsDreamer

Post by GodsDreamer »

Thank you both so much! I probably just missed those instructions somewhere, but your tips solved my issue. Thank you!