[SOLO] Scientists do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. VII)- ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Scientists do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. VII), by George O. Smith (1911 - 1981), Algis Budrys (1931 - 2008) et al.

Volunteers outside the USA: George O. Smith died in 1981. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Volunteers outside the USA: Algis Budrys died in 2008. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Volunteers outside the USA: Walt Sheldon died in 1996. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Volunteers outside the USA: Rog Phillips died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Volunteers outside the USA: Peter Schuyler Miller died in 1974. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
'The Cyberene' by Rog Phillips
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/66163/pg66163-images.html
Somewhere in the far future a diabolical brain plotted the enslavement of mankind. But to do that a history had to be changed—ours!

'Amateur in Chancery' by George O. Smith
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/51681/pg51681-images.html
A desperate rescue mission! A team of scientists must plan its technical demands...but they must also account for the very nature of language and concept!

'The Facts of Life' by Peter Schuyler Miller
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/64880/pg64880-images.html
What if plants could make love?
Ew.

'Point of Departure' by Vaughan Shelton
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/50945/pg50945-images.html
With travel to the stars at stake, mystery, deception and murder befall the design team.

'Wall of Crystal, Eye of Night' by Algis Budrys
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/51726/pg51726-images.html
He was a vendor of dreams, purveying worlds beyond imagination to others. Yet his doom was this: He could not see what he must learn of his own!

'The Shrine' by Walt Sheldon
https://gutenberg.org/cache/epub/72175/pg72175-images.html
Naito smiled. "You are still in the grip of time, Mr. Blair. Spend some with us and you will slip a little from its tyranny." (Summary by The Reader)
Source text (please read only from this text!):

Target completion date: 2024-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: SafltzJw
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_O._Smith (George O. Smith)
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algis_Budrys (Algis Budrys)
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rog_Phillips (Rog Phillips)
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._Schuyler_Miller (Peter Schuyler Miller)
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ? (Vaughan Shelton)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 9
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: www.edmundbloxamaudio.com
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: science fiction, science, machine, research, discovery, scientist, laboratory, artificial intelligence, portal

======================================== [\size]

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
[quote]"Section (or Chapter) # of Scientists do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. VII). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Scientists do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. VII), by George O. Smith, Algis Budrys et al.. Section Title."[/quote]

For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
[quote]"Section (or Chapter) # of Scientists do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. VII), by George O. Smith, Algis Budrys et al.. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."[/quote]

End of recording:
Say:
[quote]"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."][/quote]

If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
[quote]"End of Scientists do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. VII), by George O. Smith, Algis Budrys et al.."[/quote]

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: scientistsdoscienceinspaceedreadsshortscifivolvii_##_smith_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. scientistsdoscienceinspaceedreadsshortscifivolvii_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Me AGAIN. This AGAIN.
No issues as usual.

I'm sure that making multiple projects is generally not recommended. But, like vol. V, all but two of the stories have been recorded, and they are scheduled to be done this month on a weekly basis (alternating with vol. V). They come from a podcast, and podcasts work better with regular episodes.

I've actually started vols. VI and VIII, but they are somewhat further away from completion, (VI will take until 2025, I think), so those would clog up your database unnecessarily.
Here's the podcast to prove it (!): https://soundcloud.com/g1hkk9pkpteg
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

There is a labelling issue with this one that I would like the MC's advice on:
Usually, it's one track, one story, so the opening can be 'Story X of...'
In this, Story 1 has to be split into parts, because it goes over the 75 min maximum for tracks. Still doing that, right? (If not, then I can just put the whole story together)
I think you want some kind of track number labelling, so when 'Story 2' etc. come along, it won't be Track 2.

The simplest solution is to say 'Track 1', 'Track 2' etc. at the opening of each track.
It wouldn't be 'track one of 'Scientists Do Science'...etc.
It would be 'Track 1, Story 1 of...'
'Track 2, Story 1 of...'
'Track 4, Story 2 of...'
Does that work, or is it okay to just leave out the track number? Or what would you suggest?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 10:02 am There is a labelling issue with this one that I would like the MC's advice on:
Usually, it's one track, one story, so the opening can be 'Story X of...'
In this, Story 1 has to be split into parts, because it goes over the 75 min maximum for tracks. Still doing that, right? (If not, then I can just put the whole story together)
I think you want some kind of track number labelling, so when 'Story 2' etc. come along, it won't be Track 2.

The simplest solution is to say 'Track 1', 'Track 2' etc. at the opening of each track.
It wouldn't be 'track one of 'Scientists Do Science'...etc.
It would be 'Track 1, Story 1 of...'
'Track 2, Story 1 of...'
'Track 4, Story 2 of...'
Does that work, or is it okay to just leave out the track number? Or what would you suggest?
Hi, just popping in to let you know I removed everything from the Unrecorded Sci-fi threads. The George O. Smith story was the only one previously recorded out of this bunch!

Btw, I'm no MC but with scenarios like this I think usually the intro would go something like "Section 1 of blah. This is a Librivox recording,etc. Read by whoever. The Cyberene Part 1" and then "Section 2 of blah. This is, etc. Read by whoever. The Cyberene Part 2". At least that's what I generally do with these story collections (which I tend to do a lot of). I think the main thing is that the first Section/Chapter said corresponds to the filename numbering, so people can keep track of where they are in the book.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set this up for you a bit later but yes, just say the section number first (and label the files too). We were asked by visually handicapped listeners to make it clear audibly and briefly where we were up to, and it is handy for everyone if they are not listening in front of a screen.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ready for files.
Just a point about PG text links - PG says that the main page link is best to use as it will always work, but links to epub etc will change when different formats are used , so it is much better to always use the main link in the catalogue - broken links are most annoying

Anne
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

So, to clarify:

'Track 2, Story 1, Part 2', 'Track 4, Story 2' etc. is okay?

Also, I think all my links are to the html which is reached when you click 'read online' on Gutenburg. That's the correct one, yes? I don't know why it says 'epub' in the address.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

There will be only 8 tracks. I must have inputted that incorrectly. Could you delete one?
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Oh, and as per usual, I will put '_various_' in the title track, which isn't the same as the blurb at the top says, but avoids confusion
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

moving to "going solo" Anne
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Tracks 1-7 uploaded.

And, to reiterate, please delete Track 9. There won't be one.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Final track uploaded.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've setup a PLing request for you - it is normally your job if one doesn't drop by.

Anne
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I could PL the first three sections. The other authors aren’t PD for me.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

I could help PL these projects. As DPL it would take me a couple of weeks. If you need it done faster, feel free to assign me particular sections. If you're not in a hurry, DPLing would be fine. I'll be happy to help.

Besy
Betsy in Santa Fe