[SOLO] Scientists do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. VII)- ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

If you'd prefer to have one DPL for all stories, I'd understand and be willing to relinquish my claim to Betsy. Your call.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks both - the soloist doesn't come on regularly so how about Winifred does her PD ones 1,2 and 3 and Betsy the rest - I can make it so you both can edit the MW.
If that is not OK just say and I'll switch it .

Anne
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

annise wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 5:25 pm Thanks both - the soloist doesn't come on regularly so how about Winifred does her PD ones 1,2 and 3 and Betsy the rest - I can make it so you both can edit the MW.

Anne
That's fine with me!

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 6:49 pm
annise wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 5:25 pm Thanks both - the soloist doesn't come on regularly so how about Winifred does her PD ones 1,2 and 3 and Betsy the rest - I can make it so you both can edit the MW.
Anne
That's fine with me!
Thanks,
I'll get started on section 4 today! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Fun reading! Section 4 is PL Okay - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Such a strange story - I love these! And in this text, I was constantly impressed at your ability to pronounce "Melchizedek Hobbs" with such ease. :clap:

I have just one fix needed, a very small one:

At 25:53
Written “It was only when a sudden flash of inspiration came to me…”
Spoken “It was only when a sudden flash of inspiration came to her…”

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Yes, this one's a lot of fun. Reminds me of some of the science fiction I read as a teenager. How things have changed! Your reading is enthusiastic and lively.

Here's my feedback:

Section 1:
  • You start your intro with “Track 1. Story 1 of Scientists Do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-Fi, Vol. VIII)....” But the first post says the intro should start “Section 1 of Scientists Do Science…” You’ve also left out the second repetition of the title with the authors’ names that the first post requires (“Scientists do Science in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. VII), by George O. Smith, Algis Budrys et al.” You’ll have to either change the intro in your recording or go back and revise your first post to match whatever you’re planning to use as your intro.
  • At 3:17, I hear “A lance and prancing nag of leather and bones like Doctor Quixote of old?” But the text reads “Don Quixote” and I think your listeners might be a bit puzzled by the replacement.
  • At 12:08, there’s a sentence missing after “Under the low power objective lens he examined the fragment.” The next sentence should be “It showed no signs of cellular structure.”
  • At 37:57, I hear “What was to keep them from doing the same?” But the text reads “What was to keep that thing from doing the same? The change doesn’t really make sense and is going to puzzle your listeners.
  • At the end, you read “To be continued. End of Track 1.” Again, this is different from what's in your first post (and from what’s generally read in all other Librivox books). You’ll have to change either the recording or the first post.
About the intro/outro: I see that there was some discussion between you and Anne at the start of this project about changing the standard intro, but I don't see any response from her after you asked whether Track 1, Story 1 would be ok, so that's why I raise it here.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Section 6

A few more this time:

At 1:57
Written “Leaning across the wide…”
Spoken “Leaning against the wide…”

At 4:00
Dropped “Reed” from “Dr. Wilson Reed”

AT 8:59
Written “100% security”
Spoken “100% secrecy”

At 15:08
Dropped “There was a young man in the drawing room…”

The ending silence is 7 seconds instead of 5. Easy-peasy fix.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here's my feedback on Section 2, which ramps up the melodrama (I'd forgotten how over the top some of these stories were, but your reading really does them justice!):
  • See my earlier comment on Section 1 about the intro/outro.
  • At 27:03, there’s a chunk of text missing. I hear “But he couldn’t escape. He went to a small red square and stood on it.” But between “But he couldn’t escape” and “He went to a small red square…” you need to insert:

“He couldn’t move a muscle of his own volition, “Okay” he heard himself say casually.

He and Nadine left the building and went through the beautiful park to the Dome. Inside they walked along the seemingly roofless slightly curving corridor.”
  • At 27:38, the phrase “a voice said,” is missing between “‘Very touching,’ and ‘One would think you are in love with her, Earl Frye.’”
  • At 31:22 there’s a repeat of the sentence “You can’t even go into the past in any detail.” Please delete one.
Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Section 7 - oh gosh - the end! This has been such fun! Only fix needed is that the silence at the end needs two more seconds. Then? Poof!! :P :P

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here's my feedback on Section 1, Part 3:
  • At 15:55, there’s a repeat of “A loudspeaker broadcasting at full power over the entire range of sound would be more devastating to the Brain”. Please delete one.
  • Same comment as for Parts 1 and 2 about the intro/outro.
Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Speaking purely about the intros,
I had discussed this earlier in the thread, and had it cleared that the intros and outros would be as they are. Saying 'Track X' tells the listener exactly where they are, saying 'Part X' later clarifies which part of the Story 1 the listener is in.

As for repeating the author name, I don't think this is necessary, as it makes each title far too long. Even saying 'various' would seem unnecessary. For other volumes, I have omitted this step.

Ultimately, both of these alterations to the norm I think make sure that the title is not laborious, which it becomes in volumes like this. Is there an alteration to the written title that might make up for this?

Anyway, the other errors mentioned I can crack on with fine. Been quite busy. Somebody is paying me to make an audiobook; they must be mad.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Hello,
I need a response, so I can make the appropriate edits.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm quite happy with those as they are, I accept variations in intro and outro on existing recordings being added - but I would insist on the standard for a new recording - I didn't realise you were waiting for me and the last weeks have been overfull of real life .

Anne
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: April 15th, 2024, 3:09 am Hello,
I need a response, so I can make the appropriate edits.
Hi - these comments don't apply to my DPL notes. I'll keep an eye on this project for when you are able to address those items. - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe