[SOLO] Retief: Intergalactic Diplomat in Space, (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. V)-brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: February 12th, 2024, 8:05 am The recordings are not raw. They are just edited really badly. I usually did significantly better. I think I must have been tiring of the whole process.

What I did do was change my recording method, which I thought would create more errors, but apparently doesn't (see vol. IX, which had no errors at all on submission).

I started doing this for the second half of Story 2 here.

Please do Tracks 3 onwards. I guess I'll have to re-record Stories 1 and 2. That will take less time than wading through using the old method.
Ok that works for me. I did notice that earlier audiobooks had much, much less repeats.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 3 is PL ok. Very enjoyable listening. I especially enjoyed all the different character voices you created!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 4
7:07 repeat ""What a pity I can't go," the Military Attache said. "But my place is with my troops." thru ", to interpret results."

22:20 repeat "Look, Mister, the corporal only wanted me to show you the outside." thru " I'd be getting in this kind of mess."
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 5
9:38 repeat "You reopen an old wound, Mr. Consul."
48:18 repeat "To me a Groacian blowing a nose-whistle sounds like a Groacian blowing, clap"
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

That's a bit more like it in terms of my results.

Actually, I thought that the admirals were interchangeable, rather like the pompous generals in 'Sharpe', but they aren't. I was thinking about re-recording the opening of 'The Desert and the Stars' anyway, because Magnan comes back many times in the stories here, and I liked my slightly camp German admiral version.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: February 13th, 2024, 5:09 am That's a bit more like it in terms of my results.

Actually, I thought that the admirals were interchangeable, rather like the pompous generals in 'Sharpe', but they aren't. I was thinking about re-recording the opening of 'The Desert and the Stars' anyway, because Magnan comes back many times in the stories here, and I liked my slightly camp German admiral version.
Excellent!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Yay! a perfect one. Section 6 is PL ok. I love the part where Retief gets direct orders and crumples them for the circular file!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 7 is PL ok.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

New Track 2 and Track 8 uploaded.

I may have 'accidentally' cast the Aga Kagans, who straight up steal land and say everybody needs to be 'realists' as Russians. They are, it seems, supposed to be Space Arabs, which I didn't like the implications of.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

brownrottger wrote: February 16th, 2024, 6:50 am
Ligeti_Grieg wrote: February 16th, 2024, 6:19 am New Track 2 and Track 8 uploaded.

I may have 'accidentally' cast the Aga Kagans, who straight up steal land and say everybody needs to be 'realists' as Russians. They are, it seems, supposed to be Space Arabs, which I didn't like the implications of.
Your questioning just shows your dedication to the cause of audiobook creation. I do agree stereotyping is a bummer.
These are in line for PL.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 2: One tiny edit, easily done.
18:59 repeat "Chapter 3"
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 8: You accidentally put Section 7 again in the MW where the link to Section 8 should be. Been there, done that. :mrgreen:
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Actual Section 8 upload.

Section 9 also uploaded.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 8
17:55 repeat "The two men descended in the lift"
27:20 repeat "I'm aboard the Navy patrol vessel"
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 9
1:56 Unnatural silence in between sentences just before "The military attache began"
26:49 I believe you used Zubb's voice for Magnan's lines "Need I remind you ... that this is an official diplomatic function? I can brook no interference from disinterested parties."
Increase ending silence to 5 seconds.