[COMPLETE] Retief: Intergalactic Diplomat in Space, (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. V)-brrot

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

This project is complete! All files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/retief-intergalactic-diplomat-in-space-ed-reads-short-sci-fi-vol-v-by-keith-laumer/

Retief: Intergalactic Diplomat in Space, (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. V), by Keith Laumer (1925 - 1993)

Volunteers outside the USA: Keith Laumer died in 1993. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
'Retief of the Red-Tape Mountain'
Retief knew the importance of sealed
orders—and the need to keep them that way!

'The Desert and the Stars'
The Aga Kaga wanted peace—a piece of everything in sight!
A difficult situation for Retief, a powerful people claiming land that isn't theirs.

'Cultural Exchange'
The finest wine in the galaxy on a distant corner of the galaxy. But why are there so many students on exchange at their little community college?

'The Governor of Glave'
A worker's rebellion! But a brain drain has consequences...

'The Madman From Earth'
When the proper etiquette of diplomacy hides a vile secret, Retief must face allegation, treachery and his most hazardous situation yet...

'The Frozen Planet'
An empire encroaching on its weaker intergalactic neighbors. But on the journey to investigate, Retief finds himself with the kind of company he could do without.

'Aide Memoire'
They're turtles, they're teenagers...but something fishy is going on...

'Saline Solution'
Blast you, Retief! Your violent ways are the disgrace of Earth's diplomatic corps—but your salty jokes are worse!

'Mightiest Qorn'
Sly, brave and truculent, the Qorn held all humans in contempt—except one! (Summary by The Reader)
Source text (please read only from this text!):

Target completion date: 2024-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: science fiction, space opera, diplomacy, space, aliens, funny, spaceship

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Retief: Intergalactic Diplomat in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. V). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Retief: Intergalactic Diplomat in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. V), by Keith Laumer. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Retief: Intergalactic Diplomat in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. V), by Keith Laumer. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Retief: Intergalactic Diplomat in Space (Ed Reads Short Sci-fi, vol. V), by Keith Laumer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: retiefinspaceedreads_##_laumer_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. retiefinspaceedreads_01_laumer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Me again. This again. Happy with pre-discussed issues.

I have decided to truncate my podcast to finish up volumes V and VII quicker, which is to say, at the end of this month. There's only two stories left to record, so just the top and tailing is needed to make them Librivox-ready.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Ah, yes, the difference with this one is that all the stories are written by the same author (the volume is about one particular character).
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I'm sure that making multiple projects is generally not recommended. But, like vol. V, all but two of the stories have been recorded, and they are scheduled to be done this month on a weekly basis (alternating with vol. V). They come from a podcast, and podcasts work better with regular episodes.

I've actually started vols. VI and VIII, but they are somewhat further away from completion, (VI will take until 2025, I think), so those would clog up your database unnecessarily.
Here's the podcast to prove it (!): https://soundcloud.com/g1hkk9pkpteg
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 9:25 am Ah, yes, the difference with this one is that all the stories are written by the same author (the volume is about one particular character).
All these stories have been removed from the unrecorded sci-fi thread!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Do you need a DPL for this? If so, I would like to volunteer.
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Since I want to DPL here, I might as well MC also. I will return shortly with the MW and then move the project to Going Solo.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

The MW is ready for you to fill out. Please note that I shortened the file name in this project.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

First seven stories up.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: February 9th, 2024, 8:16 am First seven stories up.
These are in line for PL. :D
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 1
4:09 repeat and mistake "Them birds might take it into their heads to job one"

4:47 repeat and mistake " Retief watched the tiny screen,..."

11:41 Missing words ""Shut up, you damn fool!" just before "a deep voice grated."

4:36 remove extraneous sound just after " Behind him the jungle was still."

15:49 repeat "Sorry fellow"

I am stopping PL here. Please edit the recording one more time to remove repeats etc. then reupload and post in thread and I will continue listening.
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 2:
2:56 repeat and mistake " Surely there's enough lan"

3:19 repeat ans mistake "that liked to graze in people."

That is two repeats within a minute. Please go through the recording and remove the rest of them through out. Then I will PL the whole.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

So, what you're saying is you don't want to proof it. You finding the mistakes is what proofing is.

Can we get someone who actually wants to proof it then?
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: February 9th, 2024, 6:45 pm So, what you're saying is you don't want to proof it. You finding the mistakes is what proofing is.

Can we get someone who actually wants to proof it then?
It is the reader's responsibility to edit their recording before uploading to take out their own flubs. It is a waste of volunteers time to edit the raw recording.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

The recordings are not raw. They are just edited really badly. I usually did significantly better. I think I must have been tiring of the whole process.

What I did do was change my recording method, which I thought would create more errors, but apparently doesn't (see vol. IX, which had no errors at all on submission).

I started doing this for the second half of Story 2 here.

Please do Tracks 3 onwards. I guess I'll have to re-record Stories 1 and 2. That will take less time than wading through using the old method.