A Collection of Family Prayers, by Samuel Palmer- brrot

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

A Collection of Family Prayers, by Samuel Palmer (1741 - 1813)
That Family-prayer is an indispensible duty, and an important means of religion, are points which are here taken for granted. Among the many excuses commonly urged for the omission of this duty one of the most frequent is, the want of ability or courage to pray, in the presence of others. Where this is the case, the most natural and effectual answer is "Make use of forms." The lawfulness and expediency of so doing, I shall not attempt to prove. It has been admitted by the best of our divines, several of whom have published forms of devotion for the use of families. It is a happiness that we have so many volumes of family-prayers, both by Churchmen and Dissenters, suited to the different tastes and sentiments of different persons. There is yet, however, room for more, as variety is pleasing and edifying. The occasional prayers are new compositions, which are adapted to the most common occurrences, and which may easily be altered as circumstances vary. In all, great attention has been paid to plainness and simplicity, both, of thought and expression. (Summary by Extracted from Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/collectionoffami00palmuoft

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1 month of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: Christianity, prayer, family prayer

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of A Collection of Family Prayers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Collection of Family Prayers, by Samuel Palmer. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Collection of Family Prayers, by Samuel Palmer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: familyprayers_##_palmer_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. familyprayers_01_palmer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on March 6th, 2024, 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I haven't tried this genre for a group project yet so we'll see how easy it is to find readers.

I will DPL if nobody chooses to pick it up.
Projected total recording length: 4 hours

Sections:
  1. The Lord's Day Morning (Prayers by Mr. Matthew Henry from his Method of Prayer) (1098 words)
  2. The Lord's Day Evening (1098 words)
  3. General Intercession (549 words)
  4. Monday Morning (1098 words)
  5. Monday Evening (915 words)
  6. Tuesday Morning (915 words)
  7. Tuesday Evening ((By Mr Baxter from his Poor Man's Family Book) (1098 words)
  8. Wednesday Morning (1098 words)
  9. Wednesday Evening (1281 words)
  10. Thursday Morning (1098 words)
  11. Thursday Evening (1098 words)
  12. Friday Morning (By Mr. Bennett from his Christian Oratory) (1098 words)
  13. Friday Evening (1098 words)
  14. Saturday Morning (By Dr. Watts from his Guide to Prayer (1098 words)
  15. Saturday Evening (1098 words)
  16. The Lord's Day Morning (By Mr. Willison from his Treatise on the Lord's Day) (915 words)
  17. The Lord's Day Evening (1098 words)
  18. Monday Morning (915 words)
  19. Monday Evening (915 words)
  20. Tuesday Morning (915 words)
  21. Tuesday Evening (By Dr. Doddridge from his Address to the Master of a Family) (3111 words)
  22. Wednesday Morning (By Dr. Doddridge from his Rise and Progress)
  23. Wednesday Evening (1098 words)
  24. Thursday Morning (1098 words)
  25. Thursday Evening (915 words)
  26. Friday Morning (1098 words)
  27. Friday Evening (915 words)
  28. Saturday Morning (915 words)
  29. Saturday Evening (1098 words)
  30. By Mr. Grove from his Discourse on the Lord's Supper (1098 words)
  31. The Lord's Prayer paraphrased in the Words of the Assembly (366 words)
  32. By Dr. Doddridge (732 words)
  33. On the Birth of a Child
  34. For the Children of the Family (366 words)
  35. Previous to the Baptism of a Child (183 words)
  36. After the Baptism of a Child (183 words)
  37. On the Death of a Child or Other Relative
  38. When any one in the Family is Sick
  39. On the Recovery of any one from Sickness
  40. For one expecting the Time of Travail
  41. For Direction in any important Concern
  42. For a young Person going from Home with a View to Business
  43. For any going, or gone a Journey
  44. On returning from a Journey in Safety
  45. On being preserved in imminent Danger
  46. For a Servant just come into the Family
  47. For a Servant leaving the Family (549 words)
  48. Previous to the Lord’s Supper
  49. After the Lord's Supper
  50. At the Close or Beginning of a Year (366 words)
  51. The Lord's Prayer oy Matthew and Luke
  52. Scripture-Doxologies (549 words)
  53. Postscript on Singing
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I'll DPL this if you would like.

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: January 31st, 2024, 4:01 pm I'll DPL this if you would like.

M
Gladly!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi, I will MC this for you.
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Your MW is in place. Please post in thread when you have filled it out.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

brownrottger wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:51 pm Your MW is in place. Please post in thread when you have filled it out.
Ready to go thankyou!
sgoetz73

Post by sgoetz73 »

I'll kick it off with sections 1 and 2. Thanks!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

sgoetz73 wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 9:16 pm I'll kick it off with sections 1 and 2. Thanks!
Welcome to Librivox, sgoetz73!
It would be great to have you record sections 1-2 for this project (Collection of Family Prayers). It looks like you've just passed your 1 minute test recording which means you are ready to go. Don't forget in all future recordings to make any changes that were suggested when you did the test recording (eg: if you needed to amplify, you'll need to do that for every section you submit).

In order to assign a section to you in the Magic Window (MW) of this project, I've entered you into the database of readers. Your reader page is accessible here and a list of your assigned sections is here (you might want to bookmark it). It's great that you're eager to record but many new users have trouble with their first section so instead of assigning all the sections you requested, I've just done section 1. Once that has been uploaded successfully, I would be more than happy to assign you any other sections you would like.Your claim is confirmed - you have one month to submit section 1. Looking forward to hearing your section and have you help out with this project!

Some common questions that new readers ask:
  • Footnotes: They are optional. You can read all, some or none. An easy way to mark them is to say 'footnote' then read the footnote then say 'end footnote'.
  • Quotes: You can mark these by saying 'quote' then reading the quote and then saying 'end quote'. You can decide whether to say quote at all - sometimes it will be clear from context. I'd suggest saying it if the quotation spans multiple sentences.
  • Non-English phrases: We do have to read them. You could 1) pronounce it however you want 2) post in this thread and ask for someone to record it for you so you can either mimic it or splice it into your own recording 3) try Forvo for individual words or the sound icon on Google Translate for a text to speech version to copy.
  • Roman numerals: Read these as their corresponding number.
  • Abbreviations: You can choose to expand these or not to. You could say 'e.g' or 'for example'.
  • Heading numbering: Sometimes books use roman numerals and digits for two different levels of headings. I think a good solution to this is to say 'first, second' etc. for roman numeral headings (I, II etc.) and 'one, two' etc. for digit headings (1, 2 etc.).
sgoetz73

Post by sgoetz73 »

Excellent, thank you!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I take 51-53?
PS: There is a typo in the MW for Section 51
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 9:46 pm May I take 51-53?
PS: There is a typo in the MW for Section 51
Worse than that, we had some negative word counts in the MW. You'd have to 'unread' those sections. All fixed now!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Anngella

Post by Anngella »

Hello,

I'd like to claim section 34: For the Children of the Family
Thanks!
Angela
ccaudio

Post by ccaudio »

I'd like to do sections 48, 49 and 50 please.