~[SOLO PSYCHOLOGY/MILITARY] Psychological Examining in the United States Army by Robert Yerkes - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
niobium

Post by niobium »

Psychological Examining in the United States Army, by Robert Mearns Yerkes (1876 - 1956)

Volunteers outside the USA: Robert Mearns Yerkes died in 1956. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
When, on April 6, 1917, the Nation was called to war a group of experimental psychologists promptly assembled to consider means of psychological service. As plans of action developed the size of this group, its opportunities and responsibilities, steadily increased. The materials of this report represent the methods and results of only the field of psychological examining.

This volume constitutes a complete account of the history, methods, and results of psychological examining in the United States Army. It consists of three parts. Part I is the official history of the development of the service and of its conduct during the war. It is supplemented by reproductions of the printed materials which were devised and used. Part II is devoted to a complete account of the preparation of methods, their characteristics, and their evaluation as practical procedures. In Part III the results of examining are presented in summary fashion. (Summary by Robert M. Yerkes)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/psychologicalexa00yerkuoft

Target completion date: 2024-09-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/Psychology
Keywords that describe the book: WWI, army recruitment, usa military, psychological testing
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Psychological Examining in the United States Army. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Psychological Examining in the United States Army, by Robert Mearns Yerkes. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Psychological Examining in the United States Army, by Robert Mearns Yerkes. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Psychological Examining in the United States Army, by Robert Mearns Yerkes."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: psychologicalexamining_##_yerkes_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. psychologicalexamining_01_yerkes_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
niobium

Post by niobium »

even though this volume is a massive 900 pages, a large proportion is tables and graphs that let skip a lot pages
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

That sounds like it makes it easier. Some of these charts and graphs I suppose can only be read by estimation!

But with that said, parts of this book don't make any sense without those graphs, charts and tables. As mentioned on another recent project, we really can't rely on the scans being available and accessible everywhere and to everyone the audio is, so the audio book ought to make sense on its own. I'm not saying it can't be done, but this strikes me as a particularly audio-unfriendly book. :(
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
niobium

Post by niobium »

Ive had this challenge before. Usually, the author paraphrases and describes their own data in a following paragraph, but I found it just as good to describe 'figure such and such is displayed....' with a very brief description.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

hi niobium, let me mc; i'll go set you up with a magic window.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

magic window is in place, ready for you to populate. let me know if you have access alright!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I've just moved us to Going Solo. Please post when you see this because you haven't posted here since I set it up so I'm not sure if you've seen it. Thanks!
niobium

Post by niobium »

yes, ive seen this note.
niobium

Post by niobium »

there is no urgency, but I still need a proof listener at some point.
RoninW

Post by RoninW »

I'll PL sections 0-5.
niobium

Post by niobium »

can you also cover 6 and 7? it would complete the first part of the book, at least
RoninW

Post by RoninW »

I can cover any sections you have available. The only reason why I can't DPL is because I am not sure whether I can commit to proof listening sections past mid May.
RoninW

Post by RoninW »

Section 1 was good for the most part. The only thing that I could find was a stutter at around 4:30, but the rest sounded good.