[PSYCHOLOGY] The Emotions, by James McCosh -brrot

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
dshieber

Post by dshieber »

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_016_mccosh_128kb.mp3
Section 16 Aesthetic Part 2 - All Edits completed hopefully to your liking :)
Duration 26.51
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

dshieber wrote: March 11th, 2024, 9:00 am https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_016_mccosh_128kb.mp3
Section 16 Aesthetic Part 2 - All Edits completed hopefully to your liking :)
Duration 26.51
Spot PL OK! Great job with the edits.
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
dshieber

Post by dshieber »

Thank you! :clap:
RosiesReading

Post by RosiesReading »

Cbteddy wrote: March 10th, 2024, 9:02 am
RosiesReading wrote: March 6th, 2024, 5:22 pm Hello!

Here is 12: Emotions as Directed to Animate Objects Part 1 https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_12_mccosh_128kb.mp3 (22:21)

Let me know if it needs any updates! :)

Rosie
Hello Rosie! Great job with your recording. I really enjoyed listening to your section, as you have a very nice tone and inflection. Just one edit please:

Around 8:48 - heard " our first and imperative duty is to leave them blotted out," should be "our first and imperative duty is to have them blotted out,"

Once the edit has been made, please re-upload the file, with the same filename, and post in the thread so I can do a quick spot check. Thanks!

Just finished the update now! Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to listen. You have a keen ear!
Here is the link again with the correction for Section 12 / Emotions as Directed to Animate Objects Part 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_12_mccosh_128kb.mp3 (22:22)

Rosie
Last edited by RosiesReading on March 14th, 2024, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

RosiesReading wrote: March 13th, 2024, 3:29 pm
Cbteddy wrote: March 10th, 2024, 9:02 am
RosiesReading wrote: March 6th, 2024, 5:22 pm Hello!

Here is 12: Emotions as Directed to Animate Objects Part 1 https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_12_mccosh_128kb.mp3 (22:21)

Let me know if it needs any updates! :)

Rosie
Hello Rosie! Great job with your recording. I really enjoyed listening to your section, as you have a very nice tone and inflection. Just one edit please:

Around 8:48 - heard " our first and imperative duty is to leave them blotted out," should be "our first and imperative duty is to have them blotted out,"

Once the edit has been made, please re-upload the file, with the same filename, and post in the thread so I can do a quick spot check. Thanks!

Just finished the update now! Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to listen. You have a keen ear!
Here is the link again with the correction for Section 12 / Emotions as Directed to Animate Objects Part 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_12_mccosh_128kb.mp3 (22:22)

Rosie
Spot PL OK! Great job with the edit.
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 6 is once again available to be claimed.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
ImmanuelGeo1

Post by ImmanuelGeo1 »

Please may I take Section 8?
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

ImmanuelGeo1 wrote: March 15th, 2024, 8:22 pm Please may I take Section 8?
Welcome to Librivox (again), Immanuel!
Your claim is confirmed - you have one month to submit section 8. Looking forward to hearing your section and have you help out with this project!

Some common questions that new readers ask:
  • Footnotes: They are optional. You can read all, some or none. An easy way to mark them is to say 'footnote' then read the footnote then say 'end footnote'.
  • Quotes: You can mark these by saying 'quote' then reading the quote and then saying 'end quote'. You can decide whether to say quote at all - sometimes it will be clear from context. I'd suggest saying it if the quotation spans multiple sentences.
  • Non-English phrases: We do have to read them. You could 1) pronounce it however you want 2) post in this thread and ask for someone to record it for you so you can either mimic it or splice it into your own recording 3) try Forvo for individual words or the sound icon on Google Translate for a text to speech version to copy.
  • Roman numerals: Read these as their corresponding number.
  • Abbreviations: You can choose to expand these or not to. You could say 'e.g' or 'for example'.
  • Heading numbering: Sometimes books use roman numerals and digits for two different levels of headings. I think a good solution to this is to say 'first, second' etc. for roman numeral headings (I, II etc.) and 'one, two' etc. for digit headings (1, 2 etc.).
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
rustypistolsonlib

Post by rustypistolsonlib »

Hi:

Section 21 - Continuous emotions Part 2 uploaded at https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_21_mccosh_128kb.mp3
Duration: 19:00 min

Thanks,
Rusty
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

rustypistolsonlib wrote: March 16th, 2024, 1:08 am Hi:

Section 21 - Continuous emotions Part 2 uploaded at https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_21_mccosh_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Rusty
This section hasn't been proof-listened yet but here are the technical notes for it. Could you resolve them and then re-upload the file before it gets PLed?
  • The volume of this track is 84.33dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The easiest way to fix this automatically is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way to fix it would be to use the Amplify effect set to 5dB.
rustypistolsonlib

InTheDesert wrote: March 16th, 2024, 2:21 am
rustypistolsonlib wrote: March 16th, 2024, 1:08 am Hi:

Thanks,
Rusty
This section hasn't been proof-listened yet but here are the technical notes for it. Could you resolve them and then re-upload the file before it gets PLed?
  • The volume of this track is 84.33dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The easiest way to fix this automatically is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way to fix it would be to use the Amplify effect set to 5dB.
Volume updated.

Thanks,
Rusty
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Hi Rusty, there are a couple of technical things that have changed since your one minute test recording. the only one that needs to be changed is the hiss, but I thought the other notes might be helpful to you too. Let me know how I can be helpful.

Section 21 PL Notes:
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): The volume of this track is 91.63dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The file falls within the outer ends of that range and so doesn't need to be changed but watch that it doesn't end up outside the range. The easiest way to automatically set the volume is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way would be to use the Amplify effect set to -3dB.
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): This file contains some clipping. This is where the maximum possible volume is exceeded (possibly because you were too close to your microphone but possibly because the 'gain' for the channel in Audacity was pulled up above 0.0). It can't be changed after recording (unless it was caused by the Audacity gain problem) though a compressor might make it less noticeable.
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): The recording was quite heavy on treble which gives it clarity at the expense of warmth and body. An easy way to even this out is to use the Audacity 'Bass and Treble' effect set to +1 on the bass. This is often caused by certain kinds of microphones (for example, headset microphones).
  • 00:00 There was some hiss on the recording. It might be the result of a low input volume from the microphone which you have subsequently amplified to hit the Librivox volume range, in which case you might want to look into increasing the source volume (moving closer to the microphone or making sure the microphone is at full volume). Another solution you can apply is noise reduction. This will reduce the hiss after recording but it does degrade the quality of the audio. Be gentle on the amount (I'd say a maximum of 6dB reduction but less is better) - many people overdo it. Another option is a noise gate.
rustypistolsonlib

InTheDesert wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:36 pm
Hi Rusty, there are a couple of technical things that have changed since your one minute test recording. the only one that needs to be changed is the hiss, but I thought the other notes might be helpful to you too. Let me know how I can be helpful.

Section 21 PL Notes:
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): The volume of this track is 91.63dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The file falls within the outer ends of that range and so doesn't need to be changed but watch that it doesn't end up outside the range. The easiest way to automatically set the volume is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way would be to use the Amplify effect set to -3dB.
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): This file contains some clipping. This is where the maximum possible volume is exceeded (possibly because you were too close to your microphone but possibly because the 'gain' for the channel in Audacity was pulled up above 0.0). It can't be changed after recording (unless it was caused by the Audacity gain problem) though a compressor might make it less noticeable.
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): The recording was quite heavy on treble which gives it clarity at the expense of warmth and body. An easy way to even this out is to use the Audacity 'Bass and Treble' effect set to +1 on the bass. This is often caused by certain kinds of microphones (for example, headset microphones).
  • 00:00 There was some hiss on the recording. It might be the result of a low input volume from the microphone which you have subsequently amplified to hit the Librivox volume range, in which case you might want to look into increasing the source volume (moving closer to the microphone or making sure the microphone is at full volume). Another solution you can apply is noise reduction. This will reduce the hiss after recording but it does degrade the quality of the audio. Be gentle on the amount (I'd say a maximum of 6dB reduction but less is better) - many people overdo it. Another option is a noise gate.
Thank you for the feedback. I have replayed the recording and noticed the track is beyond repair or at least as per my skills. I am redoing the entire chapter. Will comment further soon.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

rustypistolsonlib wrote: March 19th, 2024, 7:58 pm Thank you for the feedback. I have replayed the recording and noticed the track is beyond repair or at least as per my skills. I am redoing the entire chapter. Will comment further soon.
Thankyou for your efforts! Would it help to do another test recording in case your setup has changed? Then we can get the technical thigns sorted out before you re-record.
rustypistolsonlib

rustypistolsonlib wrote: March 19th, 2024, 7:58 pm Hi:

Thanks,
Rusty
rustypistolsonlib wrote: March 19th, 2024, 7:58 pm
InTheDesert wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:36 pm

Section 21 PL Notes:
Thank you for the feedback. I have replayed the recording and noticed the track is beyond repair or at least as per my skills. I am redoing the entire chapter. Will comment further soon.

Hi:

I have went ahead and re-recorded the piece. This resulted into a track without hiss like character.
Duration: 16:59 min

Thanks,
Rusty