Audacity 3.4.2 user? How to pass this test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Below are the correct settings (in blue) for Librivox recordings that all readers need to use. If you’re using Audacity 3.4.2, here also are screenshots to show where to set those:

Before recording

Audio Setup
Channel: Mono
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: 16 bit

Top of Audacity screen under Audio Setup; only needs to be set once

Set volume in the Audacity Gain Slider and on your mic
Ideal volume: between 86 and 92 dB

Top of Audacity screen

Move the input gain slider (upper row beside the little mic icon) well to the right.

Then adjust the input gain dial on your mic, if you have one, so your raw recording has wave forms that peak at about the 0.5 marks in the Audacity window, like this:

How to double-check volume in Audacity
Download the free ReplayGain plugin for Audacity to find out exactly how far your recording is from 89 dB. If the level is at or near zero, your volume is very close to 89 dB. If between +3 and -3, you're within the acceptable range for LibriVox. Instructions for installing and using this plugin are here.

After recording, while exporting the file to MP3

Export Audio…
Export format: MP3
Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality: 128 kbps

Under File > Export Audio; only needs to be set once

How to double-check all technical specs in your MP3 file
Download and use the free standalone tool Checker before you upload. Just drag your file into the top area of this interface.

Members use this to check 1-minute tests and their own files. Look under the Information tab to see your detailed results.

If you want it to show your Background Noise, select Validation > Choose Validation Methods, and tick the box for Background Noise. You only need to do this once.

The Checker reviews the last 5 seconds of silence in a recording to assess background noise (all Librivox recordings are required to have 5 seconds of silence at the end so they work properly in all media players).

Questions? Feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Last edited by Winnifred on March 7th, 2024, 10:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
vviera

Post by vviera »

Can this be pinned above?
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

vviera wrote: January 26th, 2024, 3:47 pm Can this be pinned above?
Sure, why not? 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
TanishaSharma

Post by TanishaSharma »

Hey!! Just installed audacity linux version.. But my application seems completely different.
First of all I am unable to record audio and the record button isn't working properly either. My host is ALSA and I have no other options to change that. I am also not getting any frequency options on my audio settings drop down...
Help please!!! :help:
Appreciate it,
Tanisha Sharma
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TanishaSharma wrote: March 18th, 2024, 11:15 pm Hey!! Just installed audacity linux version.. But my application seems completely different.
First of all I am unable to record audio and the record button isn't working properly either. My host is ALSA and I have no other options to change that. I am also not getting any frequency options on my audio settings drop down...
Hi Tanisha,

I don’t know Linux at all, so I’ve reposted your question over in the “HELP! I have an Audacity problem” thread of the “Need Help? Got Advice?” forum as I know there are Linux users on Librivox, and there will likely be someone there who might be able to help you.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
TanishaSharma

Post by TanishaSharma »

Winnifred wrote: March 18th, 2024, 11:42 pm
TanishaSharma wrote: March 18th, 2024, 11:15 pm Hey!! Just installed audacity linux version.. But my application seems completely different.
Hi Tanisha,

I don’t know Linux at all, so I’ve reposted your question over in the “HELP! I have an Audacity problem” thread of the “Need Help? Got Advice?” forum as I know there are Linux users on Librivox, and there will likely be someone there who might be able to help you.

Cheers,
Thank you so much for your help Winnifred!!!
Appreciate it,
Tanisha Sharma
GillH

Post by GillH »

Help!
I changed my settings to convert a cassette to mp3 - took me 2hours just to set it up but it finally worked.
Now I want to return to LibriVox settings and I think I have, but when I try to record I get a weird regular mechanical noise - which is what I was getting when first trying to change the settings for the cassette.
Any ideas?
I've re-downloaded Audacity and it's still the same.

EDIT - It seems to be fixed!