[SOLO] Old Times in the Colonies, Charles Carleton Coffin - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Old Times in the Colonies, by Charles Carleton Coffin (1823 - 1896)
(Summary by Keith Salis)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/oldtimesincoloni00coffiala

Target completion date: 2024-04-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Old Times in the Colonies. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Old Times in the Colonies, by Charles Carleton Coffin. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Old Times in the Colonies, by Charles Carleton Coffin. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Old Times in the Colonies, by Charles Carleton Coffin."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: oldtimesinthecolonies_##_coffin_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. oldtimesinthecolonies_01_coffin_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)

I've changed the text link to the main Archive page, where one can choose the format one prefers. Other than that, I think it's all set!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Thank you! So are you MC and DPL?
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, I'll be doing both on this project. 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Going Solo. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've been working on the html for this, and here's a zip of what I have so far. I'm down into the index now, and I'll probably work some more on the images.

There were a couple spots where the text was missing some bits. It might have been inadvertent deletions of my own, or it may have been the text you supplied; I'm not sure.

My plan, if all goes swimmingly, is to proof your files twice: once to the text scan, and once to my html, to make sure I have all the formatting right and no typos - a final once-over before submitting the html to PG.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/Old_Times_in_the_Colonies_html_working.zip
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Sounds good, thanks!
I'm still trying to get a small project before this one done.
Time has been short with demolition for a remodelling job going on. I'm glad we can take advantage of the mild Winter, but that's usually my time to make Librivox hay.
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

I haven't finished my other project yet, but I was itching to see how this one would go.
The Preface is ready for PL.
It was done in my "wise guy" voice, which is my favorite.
I'd started it planning just to do the Preface that way, as Coffin's voice.
However, I'm thinking of including it as the Narrator, since, austensibly, Coffin is narrating the whole book.
To me, it seems to add more flavor to this historical narrative, that could otherwise get bland.

I'm throwing this one up to you to see what you think, since you are the poor soul who agreed to listen to this for many hours.
My normal voice is like the Intro and Outro.

You are free to say:
It really isn't as clever as you think it is, let's stick with your natural voice (I still plan to use characters for the dialogue along the way).
It's OK for the Preface, but revert to vanilla for the rest of it.
It sounds great, go with it, we are sure to win Librivox's highest award for this one!

I'll probably not release anything more on this for a while, as I'd like to finish the last project before I get into releaseing this one, but I would be recording this whenever time, weather, and neighbors will allow.

Thanks!
Keith
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

PL OK!

I like how you rendered it! So I say, "It sounds great, go with it, we are sure to win Librivox's highest award for this one!" 8-)
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Thanks!
I'll proceed as I can with it.
His writing, I think, will lend itself to a little flavor in the telling.
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

So you know, I'm still working on it.
I'm finishing another project in editing, but have 11 Chapters of this one recorded so far.
Since it came up in another thread, I thought I'd check with you: I've been reading "Chapter 1," etc. at the beginnings of these.
I like the sound of Chapter over Section, but hope it won't be an issue with Section 1 being the Preface.
I thought I'd see how you felt about it before getting in farther into it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's fine. You have your choice on saying "section" or "chapters". But I'd recommend we renumber the preface as section 0, and that way the file names and chapter numbers will all line up.

If you agree, I can fix what's up already, and you'd just need to rename the files you haven't uploaded yet.
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

That sounds good.
Thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sections renumbered from 0, first file renamed. :)
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Ch 1 is ready for PL.