Librivox-required settings for all recordings (including 1-minute test) in Audacity 3.4.2

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

While reviewing 1-minute tests, I sometimes wonder how new members manage to find what they need to know, especially when Audacity is updated (which seems to have happened frequently lately!) There are plenty of resources available on the forum (text and video), but they're scattered about in different places, sometimes out of date, and not always easy to find. I update my Audacity regularly, and I'd be happy to update this as needed.

Here's my attempt to briefly map out everything a new user might need, all in one place, with screenshots. Please let me know if you see that I've got anything wrong. Or if you like it. :wink:

Below are the correct settings (in blue) for Librivox recordings, and screenshots of where to set them in Audacity 3.4.2.

Before recording

Audio Setup
Channel: Mono
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: 16 bit

Top of Audacity screen under Audio Setup; only needs to be set once

Set volume in the Audacity Gain Slider and on your mic
Ideal volume: between 86 and 92 dB

Top of Audacity screen

Move the input gain slider (upper row beside the little mic icon) well to the right.

Then adjust the input gain dial on your mic, if you have one, so your raw recording has wave forms that peak at about the 0.5 marks in the Audacity window, like this:

How to double-check volume in Audacity
Download the free ReplayGain plugin for Audacity to find out exactly how far your recording is from 89 dB. If the level is at or near zero, your volume is very close to 89 dB. If between +3 and -3, you're within the acceptable range for LibriVox. Instructions for installing and using this plugin are here.

After recording, while exporting the file to MP3

Export Audio…
Export format: MP3
Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality: 128 kbps

Under File > Export Audio; only needs to be set once

How to double-check all technical specs in your MP3 file
Download and use the free standalone tool Checker before you upload. Just drag your file into the top area of this interface.

Members use this to check 1-minute tests and their own files.

If you want it to show your Background Noise, select Validation > Choose Validation Methods, and tick the box for Background Noise. You only need to do this once.

The Checker reviews the last 5 seconds of silence in a recording to assess background noise (all Librivox recordings are required to have 5 seconds of silence at the end so they work properly in all media players).

Questions? Feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
DRomeo

Post by DRomeo »

What is an acceptable level of background noise? When I use checker I'm usually at about 24.2 or so
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

DRomeo wrote: Today, 1:13 pm What is an acceptable level of background noise? When I use checker I'm usually at about 24.2 or so
That's the ideal level, actually. Folks who have quiet recording spaces (and my results when I record at my public library recording studio) are in that range. You don't really need to worry until it goes above 45-50 or so (and even then, sometimes even that high a level isn't audible). It's only measuring the last 5 seconds of any recording, and is best for measuring ongoing sounds, rather than one-off noises.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
DRomeo

Post by DRomeo »

okay tx, the only thing is here and there I hear static even though I am passing and everyting is in range, I've tried noise reduction and noise gate and the static is still there. Thoughts or suggestions?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

24.2 is dead silence. If you're hearing static, it's not from the recording. Perhaps it's from your speakers, or the wires going to your speakers.

Or, are you hearing the static in your vocals that isn't in the end silence?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DRomeo

Post by DRomeo »

yes in the vocals ( some here and there not constant), do you know what would cause that?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I suggest posting a new thread/topic asking that, so that this thread doesn't get cluttered with your individual issue. :) A bonus is that you'll probably get more eyes on your question than you would in here.

EDIT: Oh, I see you already have! viewtopic.php?p=2322044#p2322044
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart