COMPLETE: The psychic life of micro-organisms : a study in experimental psychology. By Alfred Binet - rr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
niobium

Post by niobium »

The psychic life of micro-organisms : a study in experimental psychology, by Alfred Binet (1857 - 1911)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found in our catalog:
https://librivox.org/the-psychic-life-of-micro-organisms-a-study-in-experimental-psychology-by-alfred-binet/

Described by Binet as a branch of psychology little known, he endeavoured in the following essay upon Micro-organisms, to show that psychological phenomena begin among the very lowest classes of beings; they are met with in every form of life from the simplest cellule to the most complicated organism. It is they that are the essential phenomena of life, inherent in all protoplasm. (Summary by leon harvey)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/psychiclifeofmic00binerich

Target completion date: 2024-06-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The psychic life of micro-organisms : a study in experimental psychology. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The psychic life of micro-organisms : a study in experimental psychology, by Alfred Binet. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The psychic life of micro-organisms : a study in experimental psychology, by Alfred Binet. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The psychic life of micro-organisms : a study in experimental psychology, by Alfred Binet."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: psychicmicroorganisms_##_binet_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. psychicmicroorganisms_01_binet_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hello! I'll be glad to get you set up.
If you don't have anyone in mind as DPL, I'll have you add that tilde (~) to the beginning of the thread title, so folks know we're looking.
Back in a bit with your MW!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

MW is ready to go!
I've shortened the suggested file name to something a bit more manageable than the system gave. :lol:

I see there's a preface, 9 numbered sections, then also an appendix and addenda. You're more than welcome to add more MW sections, in case they won't combine nicely. Just two things to keep in mind if you do:
1. If you're going to have 10 or more sections, all of your file names should have double-digit numbers so they sort properly (01, 02, etc).
2. Be sure to let me know when you add new sections, so I don't trip over them when it comes time to catalog. :wink:
niobium

Post by niobium »

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/psychicmicroorganisms_00_binet_128kb.mp3

this is a relatively small book which I chose because of its author and unusual subject matter. However I dont feel it granted any unusual knowledge in the field of psychology other than brushing up on microbiology a little
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Fair enough! A couple of things before we're off to the races:
1. Did you have someone lined up for DPL? If not, we'll add that tilde to the thread.
2. I'll have you fill in the section titles. MCs will often fill in the first one or two for you, but since you're combining some and I don't know which, I'll keep my fingers off. :wink:
niobium

Post by niobium »

no, i dont have anyone volunteering for DPL. May as well just unload a few recordings until someone comes along
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Sounds good, I've added the tilde. We'll wait a day or two and see if someone joins, and I'll have you fill out those chapter titles in the meantime. :thumbs:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I offer to DPL. I have a research scientist botanist in the family; he would like this book. I am assuming that "psychic" is being in the psychological sense rather than occult. But I don't know :lol:
If you meet anyone called Larsen E. Pettifogger do not trust his legal advice.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

lightcrystal wrote: January 24th, 2024, 9:19 pm I offer to DPL. I have a research scientist botanist in the family; he would like this book. I am assuming that "psychic" is being in the psychological sense rather than occult. But I don't know :lol:
Thank you lightcrystal, and welcome aboard!

Leon: we're ready to embark, just as soon as the hatches are battened down! Please fill in the Magic Window at your earliest convenience. :wink:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

redrun wrote: January 24th, 2024, 10:19 pm
lightcrystal wrote: January 24th, 2024, 9:19 pm I offer to DPL. I have a research scientist botanist in the family; he would like this book. I am assuming that "psychic" is being in the psychological sense rather than occult. But I don't know :lol:
Thank you lightcrystal, and welcome aboard!

Leon: we're ready to embark, just as soon as the hatches are battened down! Please fill in the Magic Window at your earliest convenience. :wink:
Thank you! I see that I already have a section to PL! :!:
I think that this is DPL number 7 or 8 for me. I am losing count :lol:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Here's my PL for the first section.

First, I've updated the time to 16:11 .
Second, here are the PL notes:

1:39 you’ve said psychological. Needs physiological.

5:04 you say insects – you need instincts

9:34 you’ve said small. You need shells.

10:03 you’ve said release, you need reference.

For the Outro you say "end of introductory and preface." BUT you need to say instead "end of section # " which is "end of section zero"

SUGGESTIONS

Give sections a title in the MW? You don't have to. You can also fill them in at any time. Just a suggestion.

Is the Intro the same form as what is listed? It is long and complicated so I will leave this as a suggestion. Note that subsequent introductions to sections can use the shorter form.

Is this a good way to lay out these PL Notes? If it's not and you'd prefer a different structure or layout please tell me.

You have not included foot notes. Nothing wrong with this. But just mentioning this if that was not your intent.

I am probably the most thorough PL on LibriVox. But this is standard so I leave many things. For instance orders of things [cat and dog or dog and cat] I will let go unless there is some contextual meaning change. The same with small words left out or added that don't change meaning. I am too thorough at PLing for some people :lol:

Note that I have a massive dead tree library of botany and biological science books on my shelf, including a scientific German dictionary if needed [they are very rare] . If you ever wanted to ask about a word I could have a hunt.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

niobium wrote: January 21st, 2024, 6:00 pm no, i dont have anyone volunteering for DPL. May as well just unload a few recordings until someone comes along
Moving us over to Going Solo. I see you're launching another solo, but please do not forget to finish setup on this one!
niobium

Post by niobium »

Thats because ive found voice changes throughout the day, even though you dont notice it, it sounds weird when splicing tapes. By having two prioritised ones, I can swap between editing of different books without getting too monotonous and repetitive, and then a second side project for occasional work in the afternoons where I have schedules open
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

That makes sense, and I can never work on just one project for long, similar reasons. :lol:

But I was referring to Magic Window setup. You can adjust titles as needed later, but it's best to have them entered, especially by the time a section is ready for PL. It can be difficult to check the intros without it, for one.
niobium

Post by niobium »

a couple more files are up