[SOLO]Dark Princess, by W.E.B. Du Bois-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
vviera

Post by vviera »

Section 19 is up. We don't leave until Tuesday, and I've found I have more time than I thought to get some of these sections done before I leave.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Verla!

Section 18 is PL OK :thumbs:

It occurred to me on this one that it would be nice for listeners (who won't be looking at the text) to have an "end of Part 3" after "end of Section 18."

If that strikes you as something you'd like, you'd want "end of Part 1" on Section 3 and "end of Part 2" on Section 9.

Let me know if you want to add those cues, and I'll be happy to spot-check them. In the meantime, I'm marking 18 PLOK
~Lynette * - no computer access until Friday or Saturday
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:07 am Hi, Verla!

Section 18 is PL OK :thumbs:

It occurred to me on this one that it would be nice for listeners (who won't be looking at the text) to have an "end of Part 3" after "end of Section 18."

If that strikes you as something you'd like, you'd want "end of Part 1" on Section 3 and "end of Part 2" on Section 9.

Let me know if you want to add those cues, and I'll be happy to spot-check them. In the meantime, I'm marking 18 PLOK
That's a great idea. (All your ideas are great.) I'll try to get it done before we leave Tuesday.

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 19 is PL OK :thumbs:
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sections 3, 9 and 18 ready for spot on "Part X" additions.

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Nicely edited! 3, 9, and 18 are all PL OK again. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: April 13th, 2024, 5:13 am Nicely edited! 3, 9, and 18 are all PL OK again. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Thank you for the compliment! I have gotten much better during my time at LV (2.5 yrs.) at matching my voice tone in the area an insertion/replacement is needed. Sometimes I make several takes to try to have it sound as inconspicuous as possible.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sec. 20 is up!

I'm back in action for about a week and then my sister comes to visit for a week. I see that back in January, I very optimistically set a 4/1/24 projected completion date for this :lol: It may not even be done by 6/1, but I've been making slow and steady progress. I'm ok with that.

This is an interesting chapter. Almost the whole thing is a monologue by Kautilya telling Matthew about her background. I thought about how to render it. There are places where arguably I could have used a louder or more enthusiastic voice based on content, but the scene is set thus: she is “straining his back against her knees, as they sat beneath a black oak tree, her cheek beside his ear” So unless she's hollering in his ear... :D

Thanks as always.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

21 up also.

You ever have one of those days when recording? First, the dogs kept barking. Then, I felt like I couldn't get two sentences out without tripping over my tongue. It's the shortest section, and I felt like it took forever. Fortunately, I think the Franken-edit sounds ok. You be the judge! :D

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 20 is PL OK :thumbs:

Wasn't too soft at all, nice job with that. Yes, it was interesting! I did find it interesting that DuBois would highlight an Indian princess as a sort of champion of equality for people of color, as India's caste system was still super strong in his time and highly denigrating to those with the darkest tones. Wonder if that will come up at all later?

How horrid, though - yes, you can marry (but we're allowing that so we can easily slaughter you together) . . . :shock:

And yes! I have those recording days! Our cat, Navarre, gets on these kicks sometimes where he need to "help" me, and won't stop meowing super loudly. :lol:
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: April 30th, 2024, 6:30 am I did find it interesting that DuBois would highlight an Indian princess as a sort of champion of equality for people of color, as India's caste system was still super strong in his time
I've been so into interpreting the text orally that this concept didn't even occur to me. She talks about servants crawling to her on her face without the slightest bit of irony, though all she's now narrating did happen before her working-man awakening. I'm kind of assuming they'll go back to India together, though I haven't looked ahead. Good question about whether it will come up.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Section 22 posted. Thanks!

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 21 is PL OK :thumbs:
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sec. 23 posted.

Cheers, VERLA