COMPLETE: Tales of 1928: A Selection of Folktales, Fables, and Legends from Books Published in 1928-rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Hello there-

I have section 14, The Cabbage Stalk, ready for PL review.

9:11

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_14_various_128kb.mp3

Thank you.

I enjoyed the story and reading.

Gila
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

4324GF wrote: February 4th, 2024, 4:48 pm Hello there-

Thank you.

Gila
Thank you!!! I'll update the magic window now, and I'll be able to listen either tonight or Sunday morning. I'm looking forward to it :-)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

4324GF wrote: February 4th, 2024, 4:48 pm Hello there-

Thank you.

Gila
Wow, Gila: YOU SANG THE SONG. That was absolutely wonderful! This is such a sweet fairy tale (such a mix of different fairy-tale-elements creating something totally new out of the mix)..... but that song was the best part. Thank you so much!!!

And the reading was spot-on, so I've marked this PL OK.

Are you interested in maybe picking up another story? There are 4 still open: some very cool, very short Aesopic fables by Abstemius (a Renaissance writer of fables); the story of Nimrod and the Tower of Babel etc. as told in Arabic folklore; a short Albanian folktale about magic and shape-shifting; and a historical legend about a righteous king of Hungary who travels his kingdom in disguise as a commoner... anyway, as you can guess, I like them all, ha ha, since I picked them to be in the collection. Let me know if anything there appeals, and THANK YOU again for this fairy tale with the song. I'm about to head off to bed, and I feel like I got to hear the perfect bedtime story :-)
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Laura-

I can't tell you how much your response and feedback to the fairy tale I read and sang was for you! I am going to look at the others you suggested and will get back to you.

You have such wonderful taste in selecting the folktales, fables, and legends. Thank you!!!

I will be back.

Gila
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Hello-

I looked through these for stories and would love to claim them:
section 3 Renaissance European Stories

Section 5 Ibrahim and Nimrod

Section 7 The Devils Duped

and

Section 8 The Judge and the King

They look great. Please let me know if I may read these?

Thank you
Gila
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

4324GF wrote: February 5th, 2024, 9:42 am Hello-

I looked through these for stories and would love to claim them:
section 3 Renaissance European Stories

Section 5 Ibrahim and Nimrod

Section 7 The Devils Duped

and

Section 8 The Judge and the King

They look great. Please let me know if I may read these?

Thank you
Gila
Oh yay, absolutely! I will go update the magic window now. Thank you!!!
EliQuill

Post by EliQuill »

laurakgibbs wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 4:33 pm
EliQuill wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 2:48 pm Hi again. Attached below is my upload link - hope everything looks and sounds up to snuff, and looking forward to your feedback!

Time: 7:57

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_06_various_128kb.mp3

Many thanks!

~eli
Wow, Eli, you are such a good reader! I loved the way you did the voices (I like to read, but I don't really know how to do voices, so it is always so cool when I get to listen to someone who can do voices!). So, the voices, the pacing, everything here sounds great!

The one thing that needs fixing is a technical thing, which is the volume for a patch of the recording where you can see it is a lot lower in volume; maybe you moved your head or moved the mic or something...? Anyway, I ran the file through the Checker and it alerted me that there was a problem with the volume. If you didn't install the Checker yet, definitely do that: it is so helpful!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
(I use a Chromebook and it even works on my Chromebook, which is really cool; there's a link there on that wiki page which goes to the download and installation instructions for Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook)

If you look at the audio file, you'll see where it drops off to a lower volume and then picks back up again. I don't know what editor you are using, but I use TwistedWave (a browser-based editor, which works great for me because... Chromebook) -- and so I put your file in Twisted Wave and it turned out if I amplified that low-volume segment by 6db, then I got a file that passed the Checker. Here's a link to that edited file so you can see what it looks like after editing, with the volume more even throughout:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xs8KrjFkmPl6jU7GK4PdMTYIBZoDCMUu/view?usp=sharing
(that's a file in my Google Drive, and you should be able to access it, download it, and then upload it into your audio editor so you can literally "see" the difference between the two files in the shape of the audio wave)

Whatever audio editor you use, there should be a way to open your recording, highlight a segment where you can see that the volume is very low and then "amplify" by choosing how much to amplify. Or it might be a fancy program with some kind of algorithm that figures it out for you, ha ha. TwistedWave is not fancy at all... but when I amplified that segment by 6db, I could see that it was in line with the rest of the file, and sure enough, it passed the Checker.

So, definitely don't stress about this: hopefully this can be a chance for you to see how the Checker works and learn how to use your audio editor to tweak the volume... but if you get stuck, we can use the edited file that I made, no problem. Either way is good!

If without too much trouble you can edit your file to pass the Checker, that will be great; you can just upload that file (same name as before), and then let me know here at the forum that you uploaded the new file. If you get stuck or have questions, let me know and I'll try to help... or we can find help from a more experienced person (all this audio editing is totally new to me, and I'm still figuring out things as I go along; I have a lot of trouble with background noise at my place, so I use the Checker religiously!). And like I said, definitely don't stress about it: your reading sounded great, and we can always just use the file I edited.

And thank you again for the great reading; the voices sound soooooo good! :clap:

Hi again Laura, thank you for catching this and for the info on the Checker! I'll take a look now and practice seeing which part the Checker flags, then try to edit on my end and re-upload. Thank you for your time in explaining this, I will have an updated file to you today!
EliQuill

Post by EliQuill »

EliQuill wrote: February 6th, 2024, 7:20 am Hi again Laura, thank you for catching this and for the info on the Checker! I'll take a look now and practice seeing which part the Checker flags, then try to edit on my end and re-upload. Thank you for your time in explaining this, I will have an updated file to you today!
Hi Laura, thank you again so much for your patience and assistance with this! The updated file for Section 6 has passed Checker and is uploaded below:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_06_various_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if there are any additional corrections needed -- if so, I am happy to do more edits or use the file you've already kindly edited. Thanks again! :)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

EliQuill wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:36 am
Hi Laura, thank you again so much for your patience and assistance with this! The updated file for Section 6 has passed Checker and is uploaded below:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_06_various_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if there are any additional corrections needed -- if so, I am happy to do more edits or use the file you've already kindly edited. Thanks again! :)
That worked perfectly, Eli -- it passed the Checker this time, yay :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you so much for contributing your voice to this project, and for doing the VOICES of the characters in the story; it sounds wonderful (I listened to the whole thing again just for the fun of it)... and now you are good to go for tweaking your audio if/when needed in the future!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Oh wow, four stories: this is great, Gila! I have updated the magic window, and I should have time to listen either tonight (Tuesday) or on Wednesday. I am so looking forward to it! Thank you!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Oh, these were all SO GOOD, Gila! Especially the ones where you were able to use your talent for voices -- the tiny fables with their tiny dialogues, like the spaniel and the sow, and also the queen talking so elegantly to the devils that she thought were dervishes. And the best voices were in the story of the judge and the king; you gave everyone their own voice -- even the bullying pandur. It sounded great! (I love the trick in that story of him writing his name on the wooden logs deep in the pile to prove he was there!)

You also did a super job with the old-fashioned language of the Ibrahim and Nimrod story, so that even with the oldf-fashioned style, it was very exciting to listen to! The shared folktales about Bible figures among Jewish, Christian, and Muslim storytellers is one of my favorite folklore topics, so this book is one I was really glad to include in the book.

I noticed one little slip of the tongue in the Albanian story (it's so funny how slips of the tongue are just like typos when typing; if only audio editing were as easy as type editing, ha ha) -- here is the info:

Section 7: Devils Duped
1:25 will you sell (not: you will sell)

So, I've marked 3, 5, 8 PL OK, and this will be an easy edit for 7. Just upload the file (same filename as before) and post the link at the forum, and I'll do a spotcheck.

And thank you again for lending your voice (your voices!) to this project!!!
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Thank you so much and me too, loved that trick of Mathias writing his name on the logs.

I am so pleased I didn't have a ton of edits to do and that you enjoyed my work. And thank you again for putting this project together. I love getting involved with the stories and then the voices just come alive for me.

I will be back to you shortly with the fixed "slip of the tongue" in the Devils Duped story.

Gila
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Hello

Here is the correction of section 7 for spot PL review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_07_various_128kb.mp3

Thank you again!

Gila
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

4324GF wrote: February 14th, 2024, 11:48 am Hello

Here is the correction of section 7 for spot PL review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_07_various_128kb.mp3

Thank you again!

Gila
Seamless edit, Gila: fantastic! So I've marked that PL OK..... and all those stories you just did has brought us to 70% completed already! Wow! :clap:

And again, thank you so much for contributing. You are really good at stories-with-voices! Maybe you will find a good solo project that can take advantage of this talent! I'm prooflistening to a reading of Bambi right now -- it's one of those books that just now entered the public domain -- and the reader is just amazing: she does voices for all the animals; even the different deer have different voices. This is a talent I do not have, so I am very impressed at readers who can do that. :D