COMPLETE: Tales of 1928: A Selection of Folktales, Fables, and Legends from Books Published in 1928-rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

gloriaaaa wrote: January 28th, 2024, 9:52 am Hello, I'd like to claim the Polish story: "Krencipal and Krencipalka" by Elsie Byrde
I hope I'm doing this correctly, this is my first project (:
I will reserve that story for you!

To get started, you need to do a quick audio test to make sure you have a good set-up to record with. Here is information about how to do the test recording:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Then you will post it here in this section of the forum:
viewforum.php?f=21
Someone will then listen and give you feedback there in the forum, and that way you will know you are good to go!

Meanwhile, I will reserve this story so that no one else claims it by assigning it to myself; just let me know when you have completed your audio check, and then I'll assign it over to you. Thank you for joining in! :-)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Oh my gosh, that was a FANTASTIC reading! Listening to a story is so different from reading it silently, and when I listened to you reading this one, I noticed so many details that had not really struck me before... most of all the personality of the mother, and how good and true and wise she was, even though the daughter did not ever listen to her mother's warnings; getting to really HEAR the mother like this, in your reading, made the story so much more emotional and memorable.

And the reading was just great; the file passed tne Checker, and I didn't hear anything at all that needs tweaking. I'll go mark this PL OK. Thank you for doing such a great job with both of your stories, and if you want to read any more of the stories in this collection, just let me know!

There's another Hungarian story, for example, and it's another one with a great moral lesson -- not a supernatural fairy tale like this one, but a legend. The story is just a folktale, but the king in the story, King Mathias the Righteous, was really the king of Hungary and he is the subject of many folktales and proverbs, etc. etc. -- from Wikipedia: "As Matthias the Just, the monarch who wandered among his subjects in disguise, he remains a popular hero of Hungarian and Slovak folk tales."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Corvinus
:D
dontburnthewitch

Post by dontburnthewitch »

Thanks so much, Laura, for all of your information, passion, and kindness!
I am on my way out of town for a few weeks, but I look forward to future collaborations.

I enjoyed the other Hungarian tale, and so many from this collection.
It's a great project!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

dontburnthewitch wrote: January 29th, 2024, 1:17 am Thanks so much, Laura, for all of your information, passion, and kindness!
I am on my way out of town for a few weeks, but I look forward to future collaborations.

I enjoyed the other Hungarian tale, and so many from this collection.
It's a great project!
I will let you know when I get another "Tales of..." up and running. Happy travels!
nbvoices

Post by nbvoices »

Hello, here is #18, the Golden Hornet, Any issues, please let me know. Thanks. Nancy

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_18_various_128kn.mp3

time: 6:04 mins/sec

Post by laurakgibbs »

nbvoices wrote: January 31st, 2024, 2:28 pm Hello, here is #18, the Golden Hornet, Any issues, please let me know. Thanks. Nancy

Super! I've updated the magic window, and I should be able to listen tonight (Wednesday). Thank you!!!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

nbvoices wrote: January 31st, 2024, 2:28 pm Hello, here is #18, the Golden Hornet, Any issues, please let me know. Thanks. Nancy

What an excellent reading, Nancy!!! I've marked it PL OK: everything sounds great, and your style was just perfect for this type of story where every word is important, every sentence moving the story forward, and with so many memorable details too. I loved how the giant bird carried her up inside the log and then was gripping the log in his claws and shaking it to try to make her come out: that is some big bird if he can pick up a log big enough for a woman to hide in and shake it with his claws! So cool!

There are still a few stories open in this collection if you want to read anything else... and of course I am hoping that when people listen to this story, it might inspire them to go read more Wyandot stories from Connelley's book! As I recall it had like 30 or 40 Wyandot stories in there, but I knew this was the one I wanted to include. Thank you for doing such a great job with it!
nbvoices

Post by nbvoices »

laurakgibbs wrote: January 31st, 2024, 8:35 pm

What an excellent reading, Nancy!!! I've marked it PL OK: everything sounds great, and your style was just perfect for this type of story where every word is important, every sentence moving the story forward, and with so many memorable details too. I loved how the giant bird carried her up inside the log and then was gripping the log in his claws and shaking it to try to make her come out: that is some big bird if he can pick up a log big enough for a woman to hide in and shake it with his claws! So cool!

There are still a few stories open in this collection if you want to read anything else... and of course I am hoping that when people listen to this story, it might inspire them to go read more Wyandot stories from Connelley's book! As I recall it had like 30 or 40 Wyandot stories in there, but I knew this was the one I wanted to include. Thank you for doing such a great job with it!
thanks so much for the positive feedback !, I'm game to check out other sections that are still open. I 'll keep you posted ! thanks. Nancy

Post by EliQuill »

Hi there, I would love to read #6, The Seller of Words, if that's all right! This will be my first. :)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

EliQuill wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 12:19 pm Hi there, I would love to read #6, The Seller of Words, if that's all right! This will be my first. :)
Fantastic! I am so glad if this little project can be someone's first recording contribution!
That means I need to set you up in the system, and for that I need to ask:
* what name do you want to have appear in the catalog listing? (it can just be your username OR you can have your actual name appear; it's up to you)
* do you have a website that you want your catalog name to be linked to?

Let me know, and then I'll be able to set you up in the system and assign that section to you. For now, I've temporarily assigned it to myself so no one else will claim it.

And that story is so cool; it's from a book of folktales by a Syrian writer and journalist from back in the day, and I was really excited to find it online. I asked a friend of mine who studies Syrian history and politics if he had heard of the book before, and he had not, so I am excited that LibriVox can help spread awareness of that book and its stories. :-)
EliQuill

Post by EliQuill »

Thanks so much Laura! The title immediately caught my attention, it's a very cool story. Thank you for sharing that background on the author! :)

For the name, I'd love to just have "Eli Quill"

I don't have a website up yet, but if it's ok to use this link for now, that would be great. No worries if not: https://www.instagram.com/eli.quill?igsh=ZHIyYjFjenplcHhw

Thanks again!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

EliQuill wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:05 pm Thanks so much Laura! The title immediately caught my attention, it's a very cool story. Thank you for sharing that background on the author! :)

For the name, I'd love to just have "Eli Quill"

I don't have a website up yet, but if it's ok to use this link for now, that would be great. No worries if not: https://www.instagram.com/eli.quill?igsh=ZHIyYjFjenplcHhw

Thanks again!
Super! You are in the system now!

And for the recording, here's how to do the lead-in:
Section 6 of TALES OF 1928. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] an Arabic story: "The Seller of Words" by Habeeb Ibrahim Katibah

And then here's what goes at the end:
"End of section 6." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]

You'll upload the file just like you did the test recording file, and then post the URL here in the forum so I can add it to the magic window and listen. I'm looking forward to it!
EliQuill

Post by EliQuill »

Hi again. Attached below is my upload link - hope everything looks and sounds up to snuff, and looking forward to your feedback!

Time: 7:57

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/talesof1928_06_various_128kb.mp3

Many thanks!

~eli
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

EliQuill wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 2:48 pm Hi again. Attached below is my upload link - hope everything looks and sounds up to snuff, and looking forward to your feedback!

Many thanks!

~eli
Super! I'll update the magic window now, and I should be able to give a listen later today. Thank you!!!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

EliQuill wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 2:48 pm Hi again. Attached below is my upload link - hope everything looks and sounds up to snuff, and looking forward to your feedback!

Many thanks!

~eli
Wow, Eli, you are such a good reader! I loved the way you did the voices (I like to read, but I don't really know how to do voices, so it is always so cool when I get to listen to someone who can do voices!). So, the voices, the pacing, everything here sounds great!

The one thing that needs fixing is a technical thing, which is the volume for a patch of the recording where you can see it is a lot lower in volume; maybe you moved your head or moved the mic or something...? Anyway, I ran the file through the Checker and it alerted me that there was a problem with the volume. If you didn't install the Checker yet, definitely do that: it is so helpful!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
(I use a Chromebook and it even works on my Chromebook, which is really cool; there's a link there on that wiki page which goes to the download and installation instructions for Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook)

If you look at the audio file, you'll see where it drops off to a lower volume and then picks back up again. I don't know what editor you are using, but I use TwistedWave (a browser-based editor, which works great for me because... Chromebook) -- and so I put your file in Twisted Wave and it turned out if I amplified that low-volume segment by 6db, then I got a file that passed the Checker. Here's a link to that edited file so you can see what it looks like after editing, with the volume more even throughout:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xs8KrjFkmPl6jU7GK4PdMTYIBZoDCMUu/view?usp=sharing
(that's a file in my Google Drive, and you should be able to access it, download it, and then upload it into your audio editor so you can literally "see" the difference between the two files in the shape of the audio wave)

Whatever audio editor you use, there should be a way to open your recording, highlight a segment where you can see that the volume is very low and then "amplify" by choosing how much to amplify. Or it might be a fancy program with some kind of algorithm that figures it out for you, ha ha. TwistedWave is not fancy at all... but when I amplified that segment by 6db, I could see that it was in line with the rest of the file, and sure enough, it passed the Checker.

So, definitely don't stress about this: hopefully this can be a chance for you to see how the Checker works and learn how to use your audio editor to tweak the volume... but if you get stuck, we can use the edited file that I made, no problem. Either way is good!

If without too much trouble you can edit your file to pass the Checker, that will be great; you can just upload that file (same name as before), and then let me know here at the forum that you uploaded the new file. If you get stuck or have questions, let me know and I'll try to help... or we can find help from a more experienced person (all this audio editing is totally new to me, and I'm still figuring out things as I go along; I have a lot of trouble with background noise at my place, so I use the Checker religiously!). And like I said, definitely don't stress about it: your reading sounded great, and we can always just use the file I edited.

And thank you again for the great reading; the voices sound soooooo good! :clap: